Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post Re: The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Pedro wrote:
Pedro wrote:
*shrug* Okay then. PM ME VOTES IN THE NEXT TWENTY-FOUR HOURS THAT MEANS EVERYONE. Even you, Vexer.

So far, six people have messaged me votes. I want at least FOURTEEN more PMs tonight! So Ed, Pete, Kunz, ram, bob, Blonde, major, Patrick, Zeppelin, Vexer, Rob, Shade, Phil, and Vexer: I want votes from all of you!!!

I'm probably not going to get what I want.

I'll do it...I'll do it. But it's gonna suck. I haven't seen King Talk, Black Bird, Lots of Hours, Honest Guts, or That Valentine Movie...and a whole mess load of other films you guys watched.

But I'll do it, damnit.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Pedro wrote:
*shrug* Okay then. PM ME VOTES IN THE NEXT TWENTY-FOUR HOURS THAT MEANS EVERYONE. Even you, Vexer.

So far, six people have messaged me votes. I want at least FOURTEEN more PMs tonight! So Ed, Pete, Kunz, ram, bob, Blonde, major, Patrick, Zeppelin, Vexer, Rob, Shade, Phil, and Vexer: I want votes from all of you!!!

I'm probably not going to get what I want.

I'll do it...I'll do it. But it's gonna suck. I haven't seen King Talk, Black Bird, Lots of Hours, Honest Guts, or That Valentine Movie...and a whole mess load of other films you guys watched.

But I'll do it, damnit.

haha, I wish it was called Lots of Hours.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm
You'll never get me to do one of these things. I usually don't get educated to make these things good....unless you want Taken to be nominated in all the awards....which it should that movie was awesome.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 pm
I voted.

I was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally tempted to skew the votes and put more obscure stuff that I think deserves recognition above things that I know were better, but I stayed true to the best films I saw this year.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 pm
Patrick wrote:
You'll never get me to do one of these things. I usually don't get educated to make these things good....unless you want Taken to be nominated in all the awards....which it should that movie was awesome.

Feel free to put Taken in all the categories, except the adapted screenplay (unless I'm mistaken and it's actually adapted), foreign language, documentary, and animated film categories.

And thank you to the folks that I called out who have PMed me so far. If I had known caps lock was going to be an effective persuasive method I would have used it a long time ago. :lol:

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:00 pm
I'll have mine in but it'll be a little past the deadline. I should have it in by 1am

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 pm
Critic

Submission...completed

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 pm
Thanks to the few more that poured in after my drive to Sunnyvale. I still want seven more! I'll settle for six.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am
Okay guys, I have work until 5:30, so I'll probably start working with the votes later tonight. If there's still anyone who wants to vote who hasn't, feel free.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:23 pm
Unke wrote:
firefly wrote:
Ouch only five other people? I've heard of apathetic electorates but this must take the cake...

Hey, I love it - this way, my Sarah Jessica Parker for Best Actor nomination is bound to have an impact! Go SATC2!

If you're serious and she gets a nomination then I'm calling Ruud van Nistelrooy and telling him to go after Gerald Asamoah's legs. Just sayin'.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:15 pm
Are we allowed to speculate/predict?

Why not.

I feel like there are not a ton of locks...which makes me happy. Social Network, Black Swan, Toy Story 3 seem like BP locks. Dogtooth, Kick-Ass, A Prophet as pseudo-unknowns could definitely make an appearance. I'd be pleased to see True Grit not on there and thrilled to see Leaves of Grass make the cut...if it appeared on any lists other than mine (which I doubt, unless major or Ed are throwing me a bone) then it could get in.

The acting categories should be interesting...Gosling and Williams for sure, of course, Portman, Lawrence. Eisenberg? I'd love to see some love tossed in the direction of Katie Jarvis, Niels Arestrup or anyone from Night Catches Us.

Hopefully we will have a large variance from the actual noms. This is the sort of year where that seems less likely given the overall lack of quality, but I'm hopeful that we won't have anything running away with a lot of awards, and that our collective love for The King's Speech is less than seemingly the rest of the world's.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:40 pm
Shade wrote:
Are we allowed to speculate/predict?

Why not.

I feel like there are not a ton of locks...which makes me happy. Social Network, Black Swan, Toy Story 3 seem like BP locks. Dogtooth, Kick-Ass, A Prophet as pseudo-unknowns could definitely make an appearance. I'd be pleased to see True Grit not on there and thrilled to see Leaves of Grass make the cut...if it appeared on any lists other than mine (which I doubt, unless major or Ed are throwing me a bone) then it could get in.

The acting categories should be interesting...Gosling and Williams for sure, of course, Portman, Lawrence. Eisenberg? I'd love to see some love tossed in the direction of Katie Jarvis, Niels Arestrup or anyone from Night Catches Us.

Hopefully we will have a large variance from the actual noms. This is the sort of year where that seems less likely given the overall lack of quality, but I'm hopeful that we won't have anything running away with a lot of awards, and that our collective love for The King's Speech is less than seemingly the rest of the world's.

Like ram I haven't seen The King's Speech yet. Or Blue Valentine. Or The Fighter. Or even True Grit!

My technique for choosing was to look at the list of 2010 releases I'd seen and list everything worthy from those. I easily ended up with 10 nominees for some categories and then ended up trimming them down. To make a long story short, I think I had Niels Arestrup as my 7th favourite Supporting Actor (Rahim slipped out of the top 5 too). At least I think so. Whittling down the difference between two good performances is hard and they both were in and out of my top 5 constantly so there's a chance I left them in. Doubt it though.

I bet Dogtooth gets a lot of love. Pedro adored it and several others (eg. James Kunz) felt the same way as he did.

I'll be honest and admit that I forgot about Leaves of Grass. I took my nominees from my 2010 imdb list and that site lists the movie as 2009. I can't say it would have featured highly but Norton and the screenplay might have sneaked onto my submission.

So...did anyone else show some love to Piranha 3D? Uhhh...not sayin that I did or anything...

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
I bet Dogtooth gets a lot of love. Pedro adored it and several others (eg. James Kunz) felt the same way as he did.

:evil: :evil: That better be a joke, not you forgetting how much I hated it/how much that made Major sad and pouty

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 pm
I still have some formatting to do, but I have all of the nominations. To tease:

~Scott Pilgrim vs. The World ties the Academy record for most nominations without a Best Picture nomination.
~Black Swan, predictably, got a lot of love. In terms of nomination count, more so than Inglourious Basterds.
~There's maybe two super surprising nomination in the bunch, one of which breaks ground where the Academy hasn't. The rest kind of make sense.
~Winter's Bone scored three acting nominations but not an ensemble nomination.
~Well, even we couldn't throw Mike Leigh more than just one bone.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 am
Pedro wrote:
~There's maybe two super surprising nomination in the bunch, one of which breaks ground where the Academy hasn't.

This must be Restrepo for Best Picture.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:48 am
Director

Pedro wrote:
I still have some formatting to do, but I have all of the nominations. To tease:

~Scott Pilgrim vs. The World ties the Academy record for most nominations without a Best Picture nomination.
~Black Swan, predictably, got a lot of love. In terms of nomination count, more so than Inglourious Basterds.
~There's maybe two super surprising nomination in the bunch, one of which breaks ground where the Academy hasn't. The rest kind of make sense.
~Winter's Bone scored three acting nominations but not an ensemble nomination.
~Well, even we couldn't throw Mike Leigh more than just one bone.

and the anticipation mounts :o

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm
Pedro wrote:

What horseshit. Fuck you, members of Reelviews.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I agree. Completely horseshit that smart people here gave that mediocre fanboy flick 8 nominations

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:55 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I agree. Completely horseshit that smart people here gave that mediocre fanboy flick 8 nominations

Well...at least we both agree that there's horse manure all over this place.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Director

I threw it in for visual effects...I can't really imagine what it could be nominated for outside of a few tech categories.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next