Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Blonde Almond wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
New Radiohead on Saturday:

http://thekingoflimbs.com/

Now Listening: every Radiohead album.

So they released this a day early. Now listening.

Any good? I won't have a chance to grab a copy before tomorrow but saw the album is less than 38 minutes. 8 songs, too.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
New Radiohead on Saturday:

http://thekingoflimbs.com/

Now Listening: every Radiohead album.

So they released this a day early. Now listening.

Any good? I won't have a chance to grab a copy before tomorrow but saw the album is less than 38 minutes. 8 songs, too.

It is good, although it's one of those albums where I'll probably appreciate it better after more listens. It's definitely a different album than In Rainbows: more glitchy rhythms and generally a mood that favors atmosphere over traditional "song" structure. And at 38 minutes, the time flies by. Judging from first impressions, I'm not sure I'd put this up there with their great records, but it's an interesting and enjoyable listen.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm
Currently listening to some Crash Kings on YouTube.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Y'know I ought to get into radiohead sometime soon. i mean, I love porcupine tree and from what I hear RH is similar, but I just never felt like trying them out.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 am
@Radiohead's The King of Limbs

I've been through it a couple of times and at this point Radiohead are sounding like a fusion between Radiohead circa 2000 and Alva Noto circa 2000. Not necessarily a bad thing but once again this stuff sounds too easy for them. In Rainbows was the superior... so far.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:39 pm
Just chiming in to say that while I haven't heard the new Radiohead yet, there should be at least a two week moratorium on the validity of any and all opinions. Like food from Taco Bell, new material from Radiohead takes time to achieve its fullest effect.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm
Ken wrote:
Just chiming in to say that while I haven't heard the new Radiohead yet, there should be at least a two week moratorium on the validity of any and all opinions. Like food from Taco Bell, new material from Radiohead takes time to achieve its fullest effect.

Agreed and this is why I distanced myself from my own opinion with the clever "...so far" out.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:50 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ken wrote:

Agreed and this is why I distanced myself from my own opinion with the clever "...so far" out.

Same with my "it's one of those albums where I'll probably appreciate it better after more listens" and "Judging from first impressions." I remember it took a very long time for me to warm up to In Rainbows. This might be a similar situation.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:33 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

King of Limbs is like a bridge between Kid A and In Rainbows. With their last track, Separator being that "comfortable" and familiar song. When it comes to Radiohead, that's not a bad thing. The lyrics on this album are distinguishable from the music like Kid A while the music is gorgeous and complex like In Rainbows.

My first listen was on a train, and it was fitting. There is an easy listening vibe to this album, not rock out Thom Yorke head gyrating stuff

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

nologo wrote:
King of Limbs is like a bridge between Kid A and In Rainbows. With their last track, Separator being that "comfortable" and familiar song. When it comes to Radiohead, that's not a bad thing. The lyrics on this album are distinguishable from the music like Kid A while the music is gorgeous and complex like In Rainbows.

My first listen was on a train, and it was fitting. There is an easy listening vibe to this album, not rock out Thom Yorke head gyrating stuff

I take back the gyrating after watching Lotus Flower's video...Yorke has some moves...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm
Before yet more I-131 it's

@Radiohead's The King of Limbs (likely final)

I remember when Pavement released 'Terror Twilight' and how people were so disappointed at what the band had written. There wasn't a Spiral Stairs song to be had (and thank muffins for that... Malkmus was, no matter the reports, the band's greatest strength) and yet the album was a collection of great mid-tempo melodies one after the next.

Radiohead's 'The King of Limbs' isn't a very good album. I appreciate, like you, the difficulty in producing a rhythmic track like "Feral" but I, maybe like you, dislike the product. Sure, it's all sonically ingenious and energetic but where's the soul? Radiohead can make cold sound spectacular (see: Kid A) but here they've given evidence that they need a firm re-grouping. And after a 3-year break no less. Three great songs, five mediocre-to-terrible songs.

And, I mean, aside from outstanding (and I mean outstanding... this is one of their greatest tracks) opening 'Bloom' we've got the tricky 'Little By Little' and equally wonderful 'Codex'. The rest is unimpressive Thom regurgitation 'Morning Mr. Magpie' (old old old song made less interesting by bloating the length 2x what it was before), terrible 'Give Up The Ghost' (this might be their weakest album track since 'Prove Yourself), the R.E.M. lazy-flavored 'Separator' and just plain bad 'Feral' (again: I know it's tough to do something like this but, man, is it terrible).

Which brings us to first single 'Lotus Flower'. No. No no no. I like the out-of-sync clapping but the rest of the song is just pure b-side throwaway. And they've released b-sides ('Fog', 'Banana Co.') that are greatly superior to this go-nowhere track. It was inevitable (I guess) that Radiohead would release a below-average album but this is more than that: it's a signal that the band need to stop listening to the Autechre and Liars (both bands now better than Radiohead's current incarnation) and start creating something that actually deserves to be listened to.

Except 'Bloom'. Great track. I could stand to listen to a whole album of stuff like 'Bloom'.

In a way it's kind of nice: this removes the mystery of what they were working on (turns out that In Rainbows was truly impossible to follow) and frees up my ears for better music (stiefmo-recommended 'American Slang' by The Gaslight Anthem is wholly great) while reminding me that Radiohead maybe haven't earned Best Band Evah.

They should have stuck with their pre-In Rainbows plan to release a series of EPs. That's what the 4/10 The King of Limbs is, anyway... total EP. At best.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:44 pm
Nothing.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:24 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Before yet more I-131 it's

@Radiohead's The King of Limbs (likely final)

I remember when Pavement released 'Terror Twilight' and how people were so disappointed at what the band had written. There wasn't a Spiral Stairs song to be had (and thank muffins for that... Malkmus was, no matter the reports, the band's greatest strength) and yet the album was a collection of great mid-tempo melodies one after the next.

Radiohead's 'The King of Limbs' isn't a very good album. I appreciate, like you, the difficulty in producing a rhythmic track like "Feral" but I, maybe like you, dislike the product. Sure, it's all sonically ingenious and energetic but where's the soul? Radiohead can make cold sound spectacular (see: Kid A) but here they've given evidence that they need a firm re-grouping. And after a 3-year break no less. Three great songs, five mediocre-to-terrible songs.

And, I mean, aside from outstanding (and I mean outstanding... this is one of their greatest tracks) opening 'Bloom' we've got the tricky 'Little By Little' and equally wonderful 'Codex'. The rest is unimpressive Thom regurgitation 'Morning Mr. Magpie' (old old old song made less interesting by bloating the length 2x what it was before), terrible 'Give Up The Ghost' (this might be their weakest album track since 'Prove Yourself), the R.E.M. lazy-flavored 'Separator' and just plain bad 'Feral' (again: I know it's tough to do something like this but, man, is it terrible).

Which brings us to first single 'Lotus Flower'. No. No no no. I like the out-of-sync clapping but the rest of the song is just pure b-side throwaway. And they've released b-sides ('Fog', 'Banana Co.') that are greatly superior to this go-nowhere track. It was inevitable (I guess) that Radiohead would release a below-average album but this is more than that: it's a signal that the band need to stop listening to the Autechre and Liars (both bands now better than Radiohead's current incarnation) and start creating something that actually deserves to be listened to.

Except 'Bloom'. Great track. I could stand to listen to a whole album of stuff like 'Bloom'.

In a way it's kind of nice: this removes the mystery of what they were working on (turns out that In Rainbows was truly impossible to follow) and frees up my ears for better music (stiefmo-recommended 'American Slang' by The Gaslight Anthem is wholly great) while reminding me that Radiohead maybe haven't earned Best Band Evah.

They should have stuck with their pre-In Rainbows plan to release a series of EPs. That's what the 4/10 The King of Limbs is, anyway... total EP. At best.

I'd like to say I disagree with this, but the truth is that I haven't listened to the album all that much since my initial first impressions. Nothing has stuck with me. There's been some excellent albums released so far in 2011, but I don't think The King Of Limbs is one of them.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 am
Assistant Director

Wacthing some "Seasick Steve" videos on YouTube, primarily one from the Jools Holland show with a three string guitar and one where he's joined by a drummer and he plays a one string "Diddlly-Bo". Wish I could link, but YouTube is blocked at work. Stupid firewall.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 pm
Director

mailedbypostman wrote:
Y'know I ought to get into radiohead sometime soon. i mean, I love porcupine tree and from what I hear RH is similar, but I just never felt like trying them out.

If you're looking to get into them, start with The Bends. If you like it, then give Ok Computer a shot. If it works for you, proceed from there.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 pm
Director

Right now in the mood for hip-hop so I've got Outkast's Toilet Tisha on.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 pm
The new Bill Callahan record, 'Apocalypse'. Probably my album of the year at this point.

The closing track in particular, 'One Fine Morning', is stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3athjCg6LbQ

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm
Frank Zappa - "Watermelon in Easter Hay"

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:35 pm
Gaffer

One - winged angel from Final Fantasy VII - the Kingdom Hearts version. Gee I love video game music.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 pm
Catt wrote:
One - winged angel from Final Fantasy VII - the Kingdom Hearts version. Gee I love video game music.

This reminds me that I still can't find my Killer Cuts CD. It came with Killer Instinct and was my first CD, ever!

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next