It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:40 am

February 05, 2011: "The Time Waster" 
Site Admin

Post February 05, 2011: "The Time Waster"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 05, 2011: "The Time Waster"
I expect Holloway to be here any time and start saying wonderful things about Apple and how he could let go his IT guy at his company with way too much glee and happiness.

As for me, my friend has an IPad and she likes it cause she's an Apple Fangirl. It looks cool and I don't have anything against it but I have no desire to get it myself.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15 am
When it came out a year ago, a friend got one for work as he works at a company that creates apps for the iPhone so they were naturally going to start making them for the iPad as well. At first, that's all he and his wife did, use the new iPad. After a month or so however, they got bored with it. Now, he just uses it for work, but even then he uses his MacBook Pro about 95% of the time.

They also have a two year old. They downloaded a bunch of educational games. And so it's basically his son's computer.

As a Mac owner/fan when I first saw it, I thought it'd be nice to have one. A couple days after he got it, I played around on it for an hour or so and got bored with it. And since then I've not felt a need to have one. I have a laptop, where i have enough games already. I also have financial and tax records, company tax and financial records and records for my car. I'm not sure how much of that the iPad could do and even if it could do all that, I'd still rather have a laptop, especially the keyboard, the 500 GB of hard drive space, the USB ports, etc. Maybe I'm just old fashioned in that sense.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 am
Director

Finally, somebody who sees the iPad for what it is: a great big time-waster that everybody wants, but nobody really needs.

Now, if only so many people would stop swallowing all of Steve Jobs' bullshit....

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:42 pm
My view of new technologies is not as cynical as it used to be. I've come to accept that a lot of stuff that appears utterly useless (and often is) will eventually achieve usefulness down the line.

New tech tends to either have a purpose that hasn't come to fruition yet, or will eventually be purposed in some unforeseen way. While the iPad has a niche to fill within certain specialized audiences--for example, iPad apps have proven to be effective for teaching autistic children--the majority of people probably aren't exploiting its unique features in a useful way just yet. As JB said: for most, it can be considered a fun and endlessly versatile tool for wasting time.

After Twitter proved to be an invaluable tool for networking and marketing, I've learned not to underestimate new tech that, initially, looks completely frivolous. It's usually just waiting for a few creative people to unlock its hidden potential.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm
I remember reading an article recently that took it from a more positive angle, but did not necessarily reach a different conclusion.

Basically, the reason for iPad's popularity has to do with how easy it is to use. There's nothing there that will confuse older users or anyone who have never used a computer before for that matter.

But JB has a point, it's a toy for consumers not a tool for creators. In other words, it's an entertainment device. A shiny, cool entertainment device, that may have other uses, but have yet to be explored.

I have never owned one, but I want one and just don't have the money for expensive toys at the moment.
-Jeremy

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Everything that JB described, I can do with my laptop. It cost me less than half the price of an iPad and has a bigger screen. The two games I play the most (WOW and Settlers 5) are not stripped down but the real thing. Typing and photo editing, my two most common 'productivity activities' are both entirely doable, as is reading e-books.

The worst thing Apple products have done to society is managing to convince people to buy them.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:50 am
Dragonbeard wrote:
The worst thing Apple products have done to society is managing to convince people to buy them.

What's your problem with the iPod?

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:46 pm
Shade wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Cost mainly. I never liked the wheel control and I like touch-screen even less.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Shade wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Cost mainly. I never liked the wheel control and I like touch-screen even less.

Cost is definately an issue with the Ipad. When you consider the fact that in Ireland an Ipad costs aronud €600. I recently bought an Netbook for €330.
Also you cannot connect ay USB devices to the Ipad. It is Wifi or nothing.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:08 am
Gaffer

I've been using my iPad to work my way through the early seasons of "24", via the Netflix ap. Really saving some money and time... instead of buying individual seasons on DVD for $20 to $50,or having to wait for Netflix discs to arrive in the mail, I just curl up on the couch and watch an episode or two a day.

I've also been using the ibooks function lately, though I resisted it art first in favor of my Kindle. Now I go back and forth between my iPad and my Kindle when it comes to reading.

But, yeah, my iPad is used mostly for diversion, not productivity. But at least it makes for a quality diversion experience.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm
Sorry I have to ask a simple question; why MUST a person be productive at all? I wasn't aware it was such a crime to spend your free time loafing. Oh dear, get Jigsaw to teach me the meaning of life eh?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 pm
James, thanks for the unvarnished review. I looked at the I-Pad as a curiosity but really had no serious intentions on buying one; I have enough distractions and "time eatters" as it is. It could probably replace some of my existing tech, but my existing tech works just fine and is already paid for.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 pm
James 'Kunz' Berardinelli wrote:
I know the Kindle's "ink" is intended to closely resemble that of an actual book, but the iPad's backlit display makes things easier on my imperfect eyes. So I can use the Kindle app on the iPad, and it has worked to good effect.

I don't have any experience with tablet devices nor with e-readers but supposedly the e-ink is much easier on the eyes. It's interesting to hear someone say otherwise. The other knock is that the iPad becomes borderline unreadable in the sunlight but I suppose that's not an issue for you?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
James 'Kunz' Berardinelli wrote:
I know the Kindle's "ink" is intended to closely resemble that of an actual book, but the iPad's backlit display makes things easier on my imperfect eyes. So I can use the Kindle app on the iPad, and it has worked to good effect.

I don't have any experience with tablet devices nor with e-readers but supposedly the e-ink is much easier on the eyes. It's interesting to hear someone say otherwise. The other knock is that the iPad becomes borderline unreadable in the sunlight but I suppose that's not an issue for you?

E-ink may technically be easier on the eyes. But my eyes aren't what they once were; they don't let as much light in as when I was younger. (Bad genetics in my family where vision is concerned.) So it's more comfortable to me to have the back lighting. In my family room, where the light isn't that strong, I had to strain to read on the Kindle but have no trouble with the back lit iPad.

Comes down to personal choice.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Dragonbeard wrote:
Sorry I have to ask a simple question; why MUST a person be productive at all? I wasn't aware it was such a crime to spend your free time loafing. Oh dear, get Jigsaw to teach me the meaning of life eh?

It's not a "crime" as long as you don't become a drag on society. But after even moderate non-productive periods, I start to feel restless.

One of the down sides of having a nine month old son is the amount of time spend doing silly and repetitive things with him. To me, it feels completely non-productive. I have to remind myself that for him, it's the most important thing in the world.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

It's not a "crime" as long as you don't become a drag on society. But after even moderate non-productive periods, I start to feel restless.

One of the down sides of having a nine month old son is the amount of time spend doing silly and repetitive things with him. To me, it feels completely non-productive. I have to remind myself that for him, it's the most important thing in the world.

I agree to an extent, I just don't really know if everyone can agree where the line is after which you are a drag on society.

I'm currently unemployed, receiving unemployment benefits. I chose a bad time (late 2008) to chuck my 9-5 in order to start a foundation degree; I've not found work since. Not from lack of trying mind you, even my former employers are simply not able to take me on due to the company's budgeting.

My day consists of helping out my parents (a paid off mortgage means no rent so I help keep the house instead), job hunting, reading and playing games and also watching my daughter grow up through videos and photos sent by her mum (a depressing thing to do I must admit).

How close to the line do I fit in?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 pm
Okay I just realised how bad that sounded...

The reason why I don't spend every second with my Daughter is that I live 550 miles away from her and her mum. Neither of us are in a position to move and until Faith is a little older, it's down to me to do the visiting (not a cheap venture by any means).

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 pm
Gaffer

This article was really insightful. James comes alive when he writes about society and culture in a way he doesn't when he writes about politics. My two favorite lines:
Quote:
At one point, the United States was one of the world's great producers. Gradually, we are transforming into the world's #1 consumer.

Quote:
And when I give up that kind of fulfillment for the shallow, ephemeral satisfaction of beating the computer at Monopoly or watching a dozen viral videos on YouTube, I have cheated myself. And the realization I have cheated myself makes me feel like shit.

One of those posts that goes much deeper into the heart of things than its subject would suggest.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:58 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:

I think it’s just a personal preference. I know I don’t really like feeling like I’m wasting time. After work I’ll normally exercise, do things around the house, then start working on personal projects. Some nights I go out to dinner with my girlfriend, or watch a movie, or play videogames, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of getting things done. It makes me happier about myself.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am