Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:22 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post Re: The Second Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Blonde Almond wrote:
Quick question: Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech: leading or supporting?

Supporting. I've heard good arguments for him being the lead, but I've heard equally good arguments for him being supporting. The movie's about both of them, but it's also about getting the King on track to leading the country in a time of great turmoil. Thus, in my mind anyway, Firth is the lead and Rush is the impetus for change in Firth's character. It's not so much vice versa.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 am
I consider Toy Story 3 to be original. Because, what is it adapted from? The credits don't even have a "based on" credit. But, I will play your game and put it in my adapted ballot.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 am
estefan wrote:
I consider Toy Story 3 to be original. Because, what is it adapted from? The credits don't even have a "based on" credit. But, I will play your game and put it in my adapted ballot.

It's a sequel, any sequel is put in the Adapted Screenplay since it's adapted from the other movies or at least that was the logic I heard when Before Sunset was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay a few years back.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:32 am
Critic

Patrick wrote:
estefan wrote:

It's a sequel, any sequel is put in the Adapted Screenplay since it's adapted from the other movies or at least that was the logic I heard when Before Sunset was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay a few years back.

That's correct Patrick. If you didn't invent the characters, it's not an original screenplay

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:47 am
Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:
I have a few questions regarding nominations:
Can a foreign language film be nominated in any category other than Best Picture, for instance, could I nominate Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) for Best Actress?
How are trilogies handled, for instance, would I have to nominate the Millennium trilogy as single entry or could I nominate The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo separately?
If a movie has been released theatrically in its home country but only had a direct to DVD release in the U.S., such as, for instance, Black Death, is it still eligible? Correspondingly, if a movie has been released only on TV in its home country and had a theatrical release in the U.S., such as the Red Riding trilogy, is it still eligible?

All good questions!

To the first question, yes. In fact, absolutely!

To the second question, do not treat them as trilogies. I'll take partial blame for that because I lazily listed the Millennium trilogy at the end of my first post. I should have just written the three different films.

To the... let's do the fourth one first... any part of the Red Riding trilogy would be eligible. Its status as a television production in its home country is irrelevant.

Aye, your third question's a bit tougher. Well, I don't think Black Death is eligible regardless because I see no proof that it came out in 2010. I can't buy a region one release in Amazon and IMDb thinks it's coming to video-on-demand in February. On a more general level...............

One of the Academy's requirements is that a movie has to be played for a week in Los Angeles. We're trying to be better than the Academy. Anyone remember Unthinkable? That was never released theatrically. It's eligible.

Thanks for your comprehensive answers, Pedro. If I may bother you again – movies are only eligible if they had a 2010 release in the U.S., irrespective of whether it has been a limited or a wide release, correct?

ed_metal_head wrote:
Also: were you serious about nominating Black Death? I have access to this one but it didn't sound like a good film at all.

Actually, when formulating the question, I had ‘Mary & Max’ in mind, but it turned out to have been a 2009 release anyway, so I had to look for another movie. ‘Black Death’ was the first one I found.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 am
Unke wrote:
Thanks for your comprehensive answers, Pedro. If I may bother you again – movies are only eligible if they had a 2010 release in the U.S., irrespective of whether it has been a limited or a wide release, correct?

Correct. That's why I make the distinction about The Way Back. That movie didn't even really have a release date, but it had a qualifier. That means it played somewhere in Los Angeles for a week or something. That's next to nothing, but it'll do. :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 am
Hailee Steinfeld got a nomination for a Supporting role. I know you were really clear about putting her as lead (and from everything I've heard she is indeed the lead) but does your rule still hold given the academy's decision?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Hailee Steinfeld got a nomination for a Supporting role. I know you were really clear about putting her as lead (and from everything I've heard she is indeed the lead) but does your rule still hold given the academy's decision?

The Academy can suck my dick. :)

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm
In case anyone wants to vote for Country Strong in the acting categories, you can go fuck yourself. In case you're confused about who to nominate in what category, Leighton Meester and the asshole from TRON: Legacy are the leads. Paltrow and McGraw are supporting characters. I don't care if they're credited first or even have more screen time. That shitfucked ending is enough to prove to me who the movie really wanted to focus on.

Just thought I'd clarify, I know it was on everyone's minds.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 am
Pedro wrote:
In case anyone wants to vote for Country Strong in the acting categories, you can go fuck yourself. In case you're confused about who to nominate in what category, Leighton Meester and the asshole from TRON: Legacy are the leads. Paltrow and McGraw are supporting characters. I don't care if they're credited first or even have more screen time. That shitfucked ending is enough to prove to me who the movie really wanted to focus on.

Just thought I'd clarify, I know it was on everyone's minds.

Between this and Facebook I'm beginning to think Pedro secretly loved Country Strong and just doesn't want to admit it.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:26 am
Am I the only one with a sudden urge to vote for Country Strong?

I've been making an "alpha-ballot" and wondered about Valhalla Rising's eligibility. Ruling?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:42 pm
I have some questions regarding the distinction between leading and supporting role:
- Olivia Williams in The Ghost Writer
- Mila Kunis in Black Swan
- David Morrissey in Red Riding (leading actor in 1983, supporting in 1974 and 1980?)

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Am I the only one with a sudden urge to vote for Country Strong?

I've been making an "alpha-ballot" and wondered about Valhalla Rising's eligibility. Ruling?

Totally.

Unke wrote:
I have some questions regarding the distinction between leading and supporting role:
- David Morrissey in Red Riding (leading actor in 1983, supporting in 1974 and 1980?)

-Olivia Williams is supporting. There is no lead actress for that film, though she'd have the most screen time out of all the women I assume.
-Mila Kunis is for sure supporting. (Are you actually going to vote for her? She's like a barrage of San Francisco stereotypes. :lol: )
-No clue. Probably?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm
I thank you but would also like to trouble you again. And, this is a serious question. I assure you that it is not a joke.

Are species other than homo sapiens eligible for any awards? I've already short-listed a canis lupus familiaris in the Supporting Actor Category but I don't know whether it's acceptable to actually nominate it. Or him.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:54 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I thank you but would also like to trouble you again. And, this is a serious question. I assure you that it is not a joke.

Are species other than homo sapiens eligible for any awards? I've already short-listed a canis lupus familiaris in the Supporting Actor Category but I don't know whether it's acceptable to actually nominate it. Or him.

It's the lovely brown labby from Winter's Bone, isn't it? Great dog performance! He made me believe that I really wanted to pet and wrestle with him.

And that's not a joke, either. Really. I really wanted to have a run with that dog.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:05 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

It's the lovely brown labby from Winter's Bone, isn't it? Great dog performance! He made me believe that I really wanted to pet and wrestle with him.

And that's not a joke, either. Really. I really wanted to have a run with that dog.

Oh Mark, it's like you don't know me at all:

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?p=60442#p60442

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm
No, the dog didn't perform on its own volition.

I've been struggling with the Dogtooth people. I want to say the father's the lead and everyone else is supporting, but maybe there are three leads and the mother, father, and Christina are supporting. Thoughts?

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 am
Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:

-Olivia Williams is supporting. There is no lead actress for that film, though she'd have the most screen time out of all the women I assume.
-Mila Kunis is for sure supporting. (Are you actually going to vote for her? She's like a barrage of San Francisco stereotypes. :lol: )
-No clue. Probably?

Thanks, mate. I'm not sure whether I'll vote for Mila Kunis - I'll probably nominate Barbara Herschey, though - but I'm unwiling to nominate anybody in any category unless I can find at least three 'worthy' candidates. I'm having trouble identifying enough candidates for Best Actress in a Leading or Supporting Role (and loads of technical categories, on which I'll pass).

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 am
Critic

Pedro wrote:

I've been struggling with the Dogtooth people. I want to say the father's the lead and everyone else is supporting, but maybe there are three leads and the mother, father, and Christina are supporting. Thoughts?

Yeah--the movie sucks and shouldn't be nominated.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Yeah--the movie sucks and shouldn't be nominated.

My previous attempts to respond to this have either been snarky or flat out mean, so let's just say that this doesn't answer my query. :lol:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next