Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What SHOULD Win Best Picture? 

What's most deserving?
127 Hours 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Black Swan 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
The Fighter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Inception 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
The Kids Are All Right 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The King's Speech 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
The Social Network 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Toy Story 3 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
True Grit 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Winter's Bone 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29

What SHOULD Win Best Picture? 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7380
Location: Easton, MD
Post What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Your vote, of the 10 nominees.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Toy Story 3, for reasons explained here.


Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:16 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Wow, I'm surprised. You'd think that people would be more inclined to say what they think should win rather than speculate about what might win.

In any case, mine is one of the 2 votes for Inception. Not that it should surprise anyone.


Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1475
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
I've seen 8 of the 10 noms, & while most were decent, none of them were as good as Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, & Up In The Air imo.

so I guess Winter's Bone.


Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7380
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
calvero wrote:
I've seen 8 of the 10 noms, & while most were decent, none of them were as good as Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, & Up In The Air imo.

so I guess Winter's Bone.


I'll grant you Inglorious Basterds but come on, didn't you listen to any of my pitched rants about the third act of Up in the Air?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm
Profile
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
I voted for 127 Hours just because I figured I'd be the only one to give that film some love. I wouldn't have a problem with that or Black Swan winning (or The King's Speech, or True Grit, or Toy Story 3). Really, I think Blue Valentine should win, but that obviously wasn't nominated. I've seen all 10 nominees, and think it's kinf of silly movies like The Kids Are Alright or The Fighter were nominated over the Ryan Gosling-Michelle Williams actfest.


Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
I'm going with The Social Network on this one. It's been a long time since any movie has gotten me as excited as this one did.


Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Haven't seen The Fighter or 127 Hours. I highly doubt either would usurp The Social Network as my choice.

In order:
1) The Social Network
2) True Grit
3) Winter's Bone
4) Black Swan
5) Inception
6) The King's Speech
7) Toy Story 3
8) (distant 8th, undeserving nominee) The Kids are Allright.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 pm
Profile
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
I voted Winter's Bone before leaving this thread textless. It's the closest, of those listed, to greatness... maybe. I haven't seen all of the nominees (no Kids/Alright) and the rest ranged from good to very good. If you exclude the one I didn't like.


Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Like Petey, I voted 127 Hours.

Like Petey, my actual favorite films of the year weren't nominated.

Winter's Bone in 2nd for me.

The Kids are All Right and True Grit are the least deserving of their spots.


Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:58 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Shade wrote:
Like Petey, I voted 127 Hours.

Like Petey, my actual favorite films of the year weren't nominated.

Winter's Bone in 2nd for me.

The Kids are All Right and True Grit are the least deserving of their spots.


And that's why you're the man. 127 Hours deserves way more love on the forum that it's getting. People seem to think it was good/solid, and I think it's damn near great. It accomplishes everything it sets out to do in an entertaining, stylish way. Boyle's most assured work.

So what were your favorite films of the year that weren't nominated?


Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
First, Petey, I certainly agree with you about the greatness of 127 Hours and remain baffled at the general "Eh..." response it's getting in some circles. Alas.


PeachyPete wrote:
So what were your favorite films of the year that weren't nominated?


The criminally underseen (and misunderstood) Leaves of Grass might just be my favorite of a kinda weak year (it's that or Blue Valentine, so we are indeed in the same boat).

Also: A Prophet, Mother, Restrepo, I'm Still Here, Another Year, Night Catches Us, Kick-Ass...not all of those are better than all the nominees, but there you go. It's late and I'm forgetting some...but there you go.


Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:00 am
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Shade wrote:
First, Petey, I certainly agree with you about the greatness of 127 Hours and remain baffled at the general "Eh..." response it's getting in some circles. Alas.


PeachyPete wrote:
So what were your favorite films of the year that weren't nominated?


The criminally underseen (and misunderstood) Leaves of Grass might just be my favorite of a kinda weak year (it's that or Blue Valentine, so we are indeed in the same boat).

Also: A Prophet, Mother, Restrepo, I'm Still Here, Another Year, Night Catches Us, Kick-Ass...not all of those are better than all the nominees, but there you go. It's late and I'm forgetting some...but there you go.


A few of these are on my "To-see" list but this is the first I've heard of "Night Catches Us". I'll look out for it, thanks for the tip Shade.


Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
ed_metal_head wrote:
A few of these are on my "To-see" list but this is the first I've heard of "Night Catches Us". I'll look out for it, thanks for the tip Shade.


I hope that you do seek it out and I hope you enjoy it. It's very quiet and very much about people and not about the Black Panthers as an idea or an organization, and it sure as hell isn't a murder-mystery thriller, as one trailer sortof presented it. I won't say it's wildly original, but it's wonderfully acted and assured in it's intentions -- a noble film about real people trying to act nobly. No one should be shocked by a great performance by Anthony Mackie or Kerry Washington anymore, but to see these sort of actors continue to get more work in meaningful films is encouraging. If nothing else, the film is certainly a passion project by many involved, and worthy of your time for that reason.

Have you seen Leaves of Grass? It's been painted by some as simply a Coens knock-off, which it isn't at all. It's very genuinely a movie of ideas that also happens to be wildly entertaining.


Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
King's Speech

Oscars are silly, so i vote for it because it portrays the homeland

Seriously, none of these SHOULD win

Rob


Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 am
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Shade wrote:
Have you seen Leaves of Grass? It's been painted by some as simply a Coens knock-off, which it isn't at all. It's very genuinely a movie of ideas that also happens to be wildly entertaining.


I have seen Leaves of Grass and we've actually discussed the movie recently [reelviews.net]. Technically we were speaking to Ken but we generally felt the same way. You like it a little more than me though as it's just outside my top 10.

Robert Holloway wrote:
King's Speech

Oscars are silly, so i vote for it because it portrays the homeland

Seriously, none of these SHOULD win

Rob


Let's say there were no nominations. What would be your "Best Picture", Rob?


Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
ed_metal_head wrote:
I have seen Leaves of Grass and we've actually discussed the movie recently [reelviews.net]. Technically we were speaking to Ken but we generally felt the same way. You like it a little more than me though as it's just outside my top 10.


Sorry dude -- I do remember that conversation but for some reason I thought your role there was played by Major. My bad.


Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Shade wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I have seen Leaves of Grass and we've actually discussed the movie recently [reelviews.net]. Technically we were speaking to Ken but we generally felt the same way. You like it a little more than me though as it's just outside my top 10.


Sorry dude -- I do remember that conversation but for some reason I thought your role there was played by Major. My bad.


Funny because I only just realized I never wrote anything about the movie other than my saying it was on the short list for year's best. I'm in the film's fan club and would have put it in the top ten had I kept it to 2010 movies proper.


Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
Shade wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I have seen Leaves of Grass and we've actually discussed the movie recently [reelviews.net]. Technically we were speaking to Ken but we generally felt the same way. You like it a little more than me though as it's just outside my top 10.


Sorry dude -- I do remember that conversation but for some reason I thought your role there was played by Major. My bad.


No worries. I'm working on the assumption that you were so wowed by my style of writing that you assumed it had to be majoraphasia. Happens all the time!


Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 pm
Post Re: What SHOULD Win Best Picture?
oafolay wrote:
I'm going with The Social Network on this one. It's been a long time since any movie has gotten me as excited as this one did.


This gave me pause.


...Anyway I was happy The King's Speech won. It's rare that the Academy actually recognizes my favorite film of the year; it hadn't happened since 2003. They obviously don't listen to me much.


Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr