Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:21 am

Your Top 10 of '10. No hedging. No ties. Man up: make a list 
Critic

Post Your Top 10 of '10. No hedging. No ties. Man up: make a list
Sure lists are reductive and all that, but they're also really fun. And I really like looking at other peoples'. So make a list of your Top 10 of 2010

1. Black Swan
2. The Social Network
3. Winter’s Bone
4. The Ghost Writer
5. The King’s Speech
6. The Kids Are All Aright
7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
8. 127 Hours
9. True Grit
10. I Love You Phillip Morris

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm
Post Re: Your Top 10 of '10. No hedging. No ties. Man up: make a list
*shakes head*

Didn't I already create this thread?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
*shakes head*

No yours was too cool for lists. You were like "Durrrr they're gay" if I remember correctly

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
*shakes head*

No yours was too cool for lists. You were like "Durrrr they're gay" if I remember correctly

What?! You've just moved alongside Patrick as Forum's Dorkiest Moderator. That leaves Pedro (and sheryl, I guess) as Coolest Mod. Here's the "durrrr they're gay" original thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3586.

But I can't resist a good Top Ten list and so will port over my contribution. With, to my surprise, only one change.

10. Animal Kingdom
9. Black Swan
8. Chloe
7. White Material
6. A Prophet
5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
4. Winter's Bone
3. I Am Love
2. Fish Tank
1. Dogtooth

If I had to keep it to 2010 proper I'd add: The Social Network and True Grit. Hell, I'd probably add Inception because 2010 had less than five great proper releases.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:59 pm
This is my list.

If you don't like the way I made it, get fucked.

That is all.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
What?! You've just moved alongside Patrick as Forum's Dorkiest Moderator. That leaves Pedro (and sheryl, I guess) as Coolest Mod. Here's the "durrrr they're gay" original thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3586.

Sorry, man. I didn't mean that. Yeah, you didn't frame my thread correctly. Who cares? Me, apparently. I mean this in the best possible way: nobody sucks like Patrick sucks. Yeah, yeah... I just can't help liking you, Patrick. I know you want me dead. The feeling just isn't mutual.

The Reelviews Forum in 2011! The year that catapults this forum to THE TOP.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Sorry, man. I didn't mean that. Yeah, you didn't frame my thread correctly. Who cares? Me, apparently. I mean this in the best possible way: nobody sucks like Patrick sucks. Yeah, yeah... I just can't help liking you, Patrick. I know you want me dead. The feeling just isn't mutual.

No worries Major :)

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Note to Self: Kill Major

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:05 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

No worries Major :)

Thank you. I might not be the wubbiest Reelviewer but I'd hate to alienate the good guys.

This includes you, Patrick. HA! That's right, bitch.... I accept you! And you won't ever live that down.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 pm
Oh my God, it's a new year and a love fest breaks out
I'll add to it. I love you all :-)
Rob

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 pm
This is the hardest top ten in years. I've seen 250 of the 357 films released that I tracked.
Making it harder is the fact that I saw 27 films that I rated either 8 or 9. In other words ***1/2

American, The
Black Swan
Buried
Chaser, The
City Island
Easy A
Exit Through The Gift Shop
Father of My Children, The
Ghost Writer, The
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The
Home
Inception
Joan Rivers : A Piece of Work
Kick Ass
Kids Are Alright, The
Mother
Prophet, A
Rabbit Hole
Red Riding Trilogy
Restrepo
Social Network, The
Sweetgrass
Terribly Happy
Toy Story 3
Vincere
Winnebago Man
Winter's Bone

But James asks me to man up and make a list with no hedging and ties.
So it all comes down to films that personally affected me

In no order:

Sweetgrass
The Chaser
Terribly Happy
Vincere
Home
Winter's Bone
Inception
Mother
The American
Easy A

Still not seen Blue Valentine, 127 Hours, Carlos, White Material, Kings Speech, Another Year, Last Train Home, The Fighter, Nutcracker in 3D or Yogi Bear

Rob

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 pm
I'm not going to call this my official 2010 Top 10 list. There are still several that I haven't seen which, for one reason or another, I was unable to catch before the end of the year. These include Cyrus, Dogtooth, Fish Tank, Monsters, Animal Kingdom, and the one I've been anticipating more than any other, The Illusionist. These films are either already available, or will be released within the next two months. So, this list will be of the:

Best 2010 Films Seen During 2010

10. 127 Hours: Danny Boyle's dramatic tale about adventurer Aron Ralston, who had the misfortune of getting himself stuck in a situation where certain drastic measures needed to be taken for survival. Boyle's direction is as visually entertaining as always, but the key highlight of the film is James Franco's performance, which might be the best of the year. In a year where there were plenty of films that left me emotionally cold, by the end of this film I felt like standing up and cheering. Not many films are capable of making me feel that way.

9. The Ghost Writer: Roman Polanski directs a quietly confident film that hearkens back to both Hitchcock and to the paranoid thrillers of the 1970s. Many people have purposefully avoided this one on a moral level because of their views on Polanski. While I understand that viewpoint, it's a shame that this tense, dryly humorous, and incredibly well-acted film has been seen by so few.

8. Winter's Bone: One of the most atmospheric films of the year. Part slow-burn mystery/thriller and part Grimm fairytale, the film featured a breakout performance from Jennifer Lawrence, as well as a supporting performance from John Hawkes that is destined to be overlooked. It might not be the most pleasant world to visit, but very few films managed to create a sense of dread and eerie tension as well as this film.

7. Inception: A convincing argument that blockbusters can be both exciting and smart at the same time. I prefer not to look at this film from a deeper philosophical perspective. Rather, I enjoy it in the way I think Nolan intended; as an action-packed heist film that just happens to be set within dreams. There is some legitimacy behind the many complaints about the film from detractors; mainly, an over-reliance on expository dialogue and a running length that may be 15 minutes too long. But the final hour consists of the most excitingly complex and involving action that cinema had to offer this year, including a moment (Joseph Gordon-Levitt's fight in the rotating corridor) that is truly unforgettable. And for a "puzzle film," as Nolan's works are so consistently labeled, the moment with DiCaprio's children finally turning towards the camera, followed by the tantalizing shot of the spinning top, is one of the more emotionally satisfying closing moments of the year. Naysayers be damned.

6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: When I first saw this in the theaters, I left admiring the visual style but underwhelmed by the film's comedic and emotional content. A couple Bluray viewings later, and I was won over. Apart from a few narrative moments that I feel come across as a little too forced, this is probably the most purely entertaining film of 2010. The box office failure for such a wildly original film was a sad disappointment, but I have a feeling Mr. Pilgrim is destined to find a wide audience in home viewing in the future.

5. The Secret In Their Eyes: I think just about everyone who had seen The White Ribbon were assuming it was going to take the 2010 Best Foreign Picture Oscar. When The Secret In Their Eyes was announced as the winner, it took a lot of people by surprise, and unfortunately many were not able to see it until a few months later, when it was officially released in the States. Centering around a decades-unsolved mystery, the film is perhaps most notable for the love story at the center. I mentioned this here when I first saw it, but I don't think I've seen a film where the simple look in someone's eyes was as important as it is here. It's that quality that makes the film one of the best of 2010.

4. The Social Network: I was initially very weary of viewing a film about the creation of Facebook. Thankfully, David Fincher, with the help of Aaron Sorkin and a trio of very talented young actors, managed to create something more memorable than a simple rags-to-riches story. I'm having trouble figuring out how to finish my thoughts on this one (it's getting late), so here's the full review I wrote when it was first released: http://thecinemageeks.com/2010/10/02/re ... l-network/. It's probably the front runner for the Best Picture Oscar, and for once it might go to a film that actually deserves it.

3. The American: Critically fairly well-acclaimed but commercially loathed, George Clooney's latest was a kind of throwback to '70s European thrillers. Le Samourai is the most obvious parallel, but comparisons could also be made to Fred Zinnemanns' The Day of the Jackal, as well as certain modern films like In Bruges. Despite being advertised as a Bourne-style action film, The American slowed things down and took its time, much to the consternation of modern audiences accustomed to high-octane excitement. For those with a little patience, director Anton Corbjin has made a very stylish and sexy thriller that shouldn't be missed.

2. Black Swan: Out of all the films released in the final month of 2010, this was the only one that exceeded my expectations. Combining a number of different styles and genres, Darren Aronofsky has once again echoed David Lynch with his tale of emotional traumas set against the backdrop of the world of ballet. But where his debut feature Pi had an Eraserhead vibe, the tone of this one is more Mulholland Drive. At the center of it all is a standout performance from Natalie Portman, who carries the film effortlessly. The film is never less than fantastically entertaining, but a special prize should be given out simply for the final 30 minutes alone; it's one of the most insanely memorable climaxes I've seen in a long while, and a terrific finale to a terrific motion picture.

1. Toy Story 3: After Pixar released two of the most original and celebrated animated films of the last decade, I initially felt it seemed almost like a retreat to revisit the old world of Toy Story. It didn't take me long to forget that feeling as I sat in the darkened theater, realizing that not only was I witnessing the best film of 2010, but the finale to what is possibly the best trilogy of all time. I didn't realize until I was viewing the film how much these characters have meant to me over the last 15 years. I was 7 when I saw the first Toy Story, 10 when I saw Toy Story 2, and 22 for Toy Story 3. In a sense, I've grown up these characters, and like Andy, the character in the film who shares my name, I left the theater not only in tears for seeing off the toys as they start their new adventure, but also for myself as I finally closed the doors on my own childhood. It helps that the film isn't just emotionally powerful; the pacing is perfect, and the comedic elements put other so-called "comedies" of 2010 to shame. It's the only 2010 film I feel confident in giving a perfect 10/10, and subsequent viewings have only reinforced that rating.

And that, as they say, is that. So long 2010, greetings 2011.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:13 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
5. The Secret In Their Eyes: I think just about everyone who had seen The White Ribbon were assuming it was going to take the 2010 Best Foreign Picture Oscar.

Well, not me. :lol:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 am
Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
5. The Secret In Their Eyes: I think just about everyone who had seen The White Ribbon were assuming it was going to take the 2010 Best Foreign Picture Oscar.

Well, not me. :lol:

Everyone but one then. :D

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 am
I always feel at a disadvantage making a list in January because I know there's probably many foreign films from 2010 that I just wasn't able to see. There's probably many diamonds in the rough but this is the best I can do. I'll rank these films but just know they should be taken with a grain of salt.....scratch that. A Truckload of salt. I don't put a huge amount of thought into the rankings.....it's just a gut reaction. Also to preface this list...I've yet to see The Fighter,127 Hours and The King's Speech.
Also with the except of numbers 2,6 and 8 I've only seen each in my list once.

1. The Social Network- This film has some of the best action scenes of the year....with dialogue. Is what I just typed lame? Absolutely but it's true. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Aaron Sorkin does and this is possible his best work to date. I love The West Wing and Studio 60 and this cements my love for his work. Jesse Eisenberg is great and even though I thought he was an unredeemable jerk 98% of the movie, I actually felt for his character in the end. The standout however for me was Andrew Garfield. He is the heart of the movie for me.
I also in a weird way relate to the main character Mark Zuckerberg. Have I created a website that's made me a billionaire and am I an incredibly smart person? Absolutely not but I am an incredibly socially awkward person who may come off as a jerk from time to time because of it.

2. Toy Story 3- Pure Nostalgia. A great ending to one of my favorite trilogies ever.

3. Inception- I know there are some people out there who hate on Nolan but honestly is there a better director currently working today who makes big budget blockbusters? Nolan doesn't treat the audience like idiots. Great performances especially from Leo Dicaprio and Marion Cotillard.

4. Mother- When I re watch this it very well could take the #1 spot. It's a South Korean murder mystery but it's so well done. Bong Joon-Ho is one of my favorite current directors working today and his direction is amazing. The story is absolutely riveting and both Hye-Ja Kim and Bin Won give great performances.

5.Black Swan-Natalie Portman's best performance easily. Darren Aronofsky is great at providing a claustrophobic suffocating atmosphere in most of his films and it's at its peak here. I need to re watch this to evaluate if it'll move up or not.

6. A Prophet- A French crime film about a 19 year old kid who gets a 6 year jail sentence and stumbles into working for the mob. I actually found this film overrated on first viewing but my second viewing was the charm. The performances by Tahir Rahim and Niels Arestrup are both great. While there isn't a ton of violence...when it's there it's realistic,brutal and in your face(the razor blade scene anyone?). Also I loved how Tahir Rahim's character is shown as almost a 'childlike' adult even though he's thrust into the crazy brutal world of crime(An example being his innocent look as he rides on an airplane for the first time). I also love that his facial expressions speaks volumes. At the end of the film he clearly is a different person but in an odd way he's still that naive kid inside. It's an absolutely riveting piece of filmmaking.

7.Restrepo-For me the best documentary of the year. Mixing footage of US troops in the Korangal Valley for a year with the aftermath of very intimate interviews, Restrepo is quite powerful. My heart broke for most of these solders. Sure the main message may be super cliche...'war is hell' but it's no less powerful for it. It's intense,visceral and in your face. It's also heart wrenching stuff to hear cases like the soldier who would rather not sleep because his nightmares are so bad and that 4 different types of sleeping pills don't help. Even if you think the war over there is a fools errand and it's the worst decision the US has ever made it'll raise your respect ten fold for the soldiers who fight. It definitely did for me.

8. Exit Through The Gift Shop-This is another film I had to re watch. The first time I saw it I felt that some of it was to convenient to all be 100% true. My second time those thoughts went out the window and if it isn't true...so what! It's such a 'rock n roll' energetic,hilarious and entertaining documentary. It educates you about street art while showing you amazing street art and the 180 degree turn halfway in is great to watch.

9. Greenberg-'Hurt People Hurt People' is a profound line from this film for me. It's a great character study of Ben Stiller's character Greenberg, a 40 something who doesn't know what to do with his life. This is one of Stiller's best performances in my opinion. His character is a very unlikeable jerk that's socially awkward....again I can relate. And yet by the end of the film I started to care for him despite his terrible nature. The script is also really great and one of Noah Baumbach's best. Greta Gerwig is also absolutely great in it.

10. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World- I contemplated leaving this off the list because before seeing the film I read all 6 graphic novels of Scott Pilgrim. I was more than spoiled by the books. I do feel that the film largely lacks a heart and I didn't quite buy Scott and Ramona's relationship. Also some great characters in the books like Kim and Envy were borderline unnecessary in the film. All that being said I think the way in which Edgar Wright uses transitions is amazing. The humor of the books is in tact and it's hilarious. I also think from a visual perspective it's an achievement. The action scenes are inventive and it truly is a living breathing comic book coming to live before your very eyes.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:50 pm
Gaffer

10 Restrepo
9 The Fighter
8 Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part1
7 Winters Bone
6 True Grit
5 Buried
4 Toy Story3
3 I Saw The Devil
2 Black Swan
1 The Social Network

Havent seen The Kings Speech.

Some notes on films above and some others:

I Saw The Devil - This film kicked my ass. Its unflinchingly violent,cruel and gruesome, but amazing. Prob would have been # 1 or 2 but required a bit of suspension of disbelief. Some have said its the best serial killer film since Silence of the Lambs and others since Se7en.This film should get more attention in a few months and will become a genre favorite. Some really great camera work here as well and atmospheric photography. I have to see some of this guys others work.
The Fighter - Im biased because I love boxing.Wards fights especially the Gatti trilogy were always a treat. The brothers drama worked for me.
Buried - Ryan Reynolds can act? A guy in a box for 90s minutes and it held my attention the entire time.
Green Zone - I thought this was a really solid movie... up to a point. A very cliched scene late in the movie really soured me on the film.
Inception - Technically masterful but didnt work for me as a story - which is whats important.
Restrepo - Political views aside, I cant even imagine what its like to be there.
The American - I actually appreciated the slow pace, but thought the last scene was overly sappy and kind of ruined the experience for me.
Kick-Ass - I liked this much more than I thought I would. Hit Girl and Big Daddy deserve their own film. Was undecided if this should make the top10. It almost did.
The Town - Definitely influenced by Heat. I enjoyed it.
Rabbit Hole - A few excellent scenes, but the film didnt click as a whole for me.
Shutter Island - Brilliant first 30 minutes and downhill from there. Saw the ending coming so far in advance, I was almost unable to enjoy the film and just wanted the end to come.
The Social Network - Fincher for the second time in 3 years gets the nod from me for pic of the year(Zodiac was the other).

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm
Critic

Tarim69 wrote:
Inception - Technically masterful but didnt work for me as a story - which is whats important.

Totes.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm
Ok, I think I'm ready for this:
10. The American
9. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
8. Still Walking
7. The Town
6. Red Riding Trilogy
5. A Prophet
4. The Fighter
3. Inception
2. The Social Network
1. Black Swan

Some other favorites: The Secret in Their Eyes; Tokyo Sonata, Toy Story 3; Cyrus; Exit Throught the Gift Shop; Solitary Man;Millenium Trilogy; The Kids are All Right; Winter's Bone; True Grit; The King's Speech; Cairo Time;The Art of the Steal

Last edited by bob harris on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm
Critic

bob harris wrote:
10. The American
8. Waking Life
7. The Town
6. Red Riding Trilogy
5. A Prophet
4. The Fighter
3. Inception
2. The Social Network
1. Black Swan

Some other favorites: The Secret in Their Eyes; Tokyo Sonata, Toy Story 3; Cyrus; Exit Throught the Gift Shop; Solitary Man;Millenium Trilogy; The Kids are All Right; Winter's Bone; True Grit; The King's Speech; Cairo Time;The Art of the Steal

I generally like this list, but wasn't Waking Life made, like, 10 years ago? Or are we not talking about the 2001 dreamy Richard Linklater one?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
bob harris wrote:
10. The American
8. Waking Life
7. The Town
6. Red Riding Trilogy
5. A Prophet
4. The Fighter
3. Inception
2. The Social Network
1. Black Swan

I generally like this list, but wasn't Waking Life made, like, 10 years ago? Or are we not talking about the 2001 dreamy Richard Linklater one?

Thanks for catching that, under the weather today and had a brain cramp....I meantStill Walking, which I edited to correct.
Joe

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm