Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:39 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10" 
Author Message
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Great List.
Haven't seen Flipped or Rabbit Hole yet, but the rest of the list is pretty much close to what I would think of in my top 10 list.


Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 am
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 278
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
This is a great list. Since I rarely go to theaters anymore, and see most of my movies on Blu-Ray in my home theater, I look forward to seeing most of these in the next few months.


Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:17 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1795
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
James Berardinelli wrote:
ChronoSpark wrote:
I'm a little confused by your explanation of The Social Network. I'm not arguing for its placement higher on the list, but I simply don't understand or agree with the assessment that the movie should have explored how social networking has changed society.


The problem is that it tried to do this (somewhat) and didn't do a very good job of it. That speaks to Sorkin's fundamental lack of knowledge about Facebook.


I would strongly disagree, JB. I think that The Social Network does an exceptional job of this, but it is done subtly, not in a preachy way.

I'll phrase it with a question (and anyone can toss out an answer to this): What is Mark Zuckerberg's closest relationship, as it is depicted in the film? There is, as I see it, only one correct answer.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 am
Profile
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
ChronoSpark wrote:
I'm a little confused by your explanation of The Social Network. I'm not arguing for its placement higher on the list, but I simply don't understand or agree with the assessment that the movie should have explored how social networking has changed society.


The problem is that it tried to do this (somewhat) and didn't do a very good job of it. That speaks to Sorkin's fundamental lack of knowledge about Facebook.


I would strongly disagree, JB. I think that The Social Network does an exceptional job of this, but it is done subtly, not in a preachy way.

I'll phrase it with a question (and anyone can toss out an answer to this): What is Mark Zuckerberg's closest relationship, as it is depicted in the film? There is, as I see it, only one correct answer.

According to Zuckerberg, the film was WAY off on some facts, one example: Zuckerberg wasn't inspired to create the site because he was trying to get back at some girl, in real life Zuckerberg was in a healthy relationship at the time Facebook was created.


Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:26 am
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Vexer wrote:
According to Zuckerberg, the film was WAY off on some facts, one example: Zuckerberg wasn't inspired to create the site because he was trying to get back at some girl, in real life Zuckerberg was in a healthy relationship at the time Facebook was created.


But thats entirely besides the point of the movie...


Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1795
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
JJoshay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
According to Zuckerberg, the film was WAY off on some facts, one example: Zuckerberg wasn't inspired to create the site because he was trying to get back at some girl, in real life Zuckerberg was in a healthy relationship at the time Facebook was created.


But thats entirely besides the point of the movie...


And I believe you've got it right. Zuckerberg's closest relationship in the film is not with a female at all; it's with his computer. If I had to compare The Social Network to one film (at least in tone), it would be Wall Street. Because it both films, the sex, drugs, relationships with females (and family, even) are secondary to the deal. To the network. The computer.

And that's the ultimate point of the film; that we've developed a stronger relationship with technological devices than with others around us. That we're talking at each other but not with each other.

Somehow, a lot of people have the strange idea that The Social Network was about Facebook. It's about much, much more than that.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3203
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
According to Zuckerberg, the film was WAY off on some facts, one example: Zuckerberg wasn't inspired to create the site because he was trying to get back at some girl, in real life Zuckerberg was in a healthy relationship at the time Facebook was created.


But thats entirely besides the point of the movie...


And I believe you've got it right. Zuckerberg's closest relationship in the film is not with a female at all; it's with his computer. If I had to compare The Social Network to one film (at least in tone), it would be Wall Street. Because it both films, the sex, drugs, relationships with females (and family, even) are secondary to the deal. To the network. The computer.

And that's the ultimate point of the film; that we've developed a stronger relationship with technological devices than with others around us. That we're talking at each other but not with each other.


My answer to that question would not be "his computer." It would be "himself." The movie shows him to be a brilliant narcissist.

And the issue about how closely the movie's Zuckerberg represents the real Zuckerberg is sort of a red herring. This is a fictional film, not a documentary, so expectations of factual accuracy should be kept low.


Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
I love this time of year because I love reading all of the critics top 10 lists as well as always anticipating the Golden Globe Awards and Academy Awards! :D

Cool list although I must confess that I was sorely disappointed in The King's Speech, James's #1 movie of the year. On the other hand, I just re-watched Inception and it's better than I remember it being. Loved it. I'm not sure right now if it'll be on my own top 10, but it has a good chance of doing so.


Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 am
Profile
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
ilovemovies wrote:
I just re-watched Inception and it's better than I remember it being. Loved it. I'm not sure right now if it'll be on my own top 10, but it has a good chance of doing so.


Didn't you fall asleep during the snow fortress battle?


Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 am
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Are you asking me because you thought it was dull or something? Not at all. I'll admit, the snowy mountain scenes are not my favorite in the movie, but it's certainly not boring either.


Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 pm
Posts: 109
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Alex wrote:
Where's Kick-Ass? Certainly the most entertaining film of the year in my opinion. As for Inception, I am surprised to see it in the top ten. With hindsight, it was self-indulgent pretentious tosh. It was successful because it made stupid people feel intelligent. All that sub-James Bond snow fortress action bored me to tears.


I'm completely with Alex on this one. I too am disappointed with the lack of Kick Ass on most people's top 10 lists, and I feel like every critic way over-rated Inception which was a good movie, but kind of mediocre for a Christopher Nolan movie.

Yes, I'm in complete agreement about the snow fortress action. In fact, the 2nd half of the movie almost turns into a Michael Bay movie...it's like, "How do we create kicks to wake us up? I know...let's make everything explode!!!!" which leads to the entire 2nd half of the movie watching characters plant explosions all over the place...then watching huge explosions...oh right and you get that really cheesy drama with Dicaprio and his wife with his being like, "You're not real!" which sort of reminded me of Lui Kang in Mortal Kombat being like, "No! You're not my brother!!" Also, did anyone find Ellen Page's character kind of shitty? I love Ellen Page, but man...her performance was kind of schmaltzy to me.

With the exception of the brilliant floating around the hotel action scene, the majority of action in Inception was kind of generic and dull. The movie had such a mechanical feel to it, and when I'm watching a movie about dreams, I want more of a free spirited, surreal feel to it. The whole, "5 minutes dream time equates to 1 hour real time"...god damn it, no! As a pure action movie, The Matrix is far better than Inception, and as for movies dealing with dreams, I'll taking my Waking Life and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind any day over Inception.

The best review written on Inception is by Jim Emerson titled, "Has Christopher Nolan forgotten how to dream?"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2010 ... _nola.html

Good top 10 overall. I would put "Flipped" higher on my top 10, but I have James to thank for exposing me to that movie. Easily the most charming, delightful, feel good movie of this year.


Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Emerson is quite perceptive, as he always is, but I find this to be my favorite Inception-related criticism.


Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 pm
Posts: 109
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Thanks for sharing that, Ken. This is a really funny read! I love the:

Ellen Page:
I hear you need me for a mission. I assume the mission is “be the audience surrogate for the next hour,” right?

LEONARDO DICAPRIO
Basically. But first I need to make sure you’re ready. I want you to design a maze in two minutes that takes one minute to solve.

ELLEN PAGE
What the fuck is that going to prove? Well let me just blow your mind by drawing… get ready… A MOTHERFUCKING CIRCLE HOLY FUCK.

Have you seen the parody of Inception at college humor? It's really good:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939332


Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm
Profile
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I liked Kick Ass a lot, but the problem I had with it, (and I think many others share this opinion) is the fact that I wish the whole film just followed Hit Girl around. Chloe stole every scene she was in. I hope Vaughn makes a spin off called Hit Girl Kicks More Ass as his next film after X-men.


Maybe it's because I rarely become(or want to become) anyone's fanboy, but I disagree. Hit Girl was awesome, but I thought Kick-Ass was more of an ensemble effort.

I was slightly let down by Kick-Ass. I loved it's dark humor and performances, but it's not nearly as cynical as the comic book was. I would have liked it had
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Big Daddy been a fraud and not a cop like he was in the comics, and that he funded his vigilante crap through selling his comic book collection.
. But still, I would have put Kick-Ass in the Top 10 over Scott Pilgrim(but it's not my list).

I was a little surprised how high Inception ranked. Based on the way James wrote his review, he made it sound like a slightly inferior verion of "Dark City", which is how I view Inception myself. Although, to be fair, the themes are slightly different between both movies, just not enough to make a difference for me.


Black Swan would have been my number one I suppose, but I'm glad it's represented nonetheless. :)


Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 pm
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
I was just reading about the Kings Speech and two articles came up one was from Owen Gliberman of EW saying TKS was middlebrow and then I read this about how TKS could be seen as higborw. OG supports TSN for best picture so calling TKS mbrow was kind of like a total dig about TKS. So what is TSN? What brow is that in?--what determinds "brow" anway? LOL!


Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm
Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
I registered simply to address two movies (1 in the top ten and the other hasn't been mentioned by anyone).

First, I'd like to quickly address the ending for Inception which seemed to be something people loved or hated for the wrong reasons.

***Spoiler Alert***

Recently, when Christopher Nolan was asked about the ending, his explanation helped me understand what the entire movie was really about. Paraphrasing of course, he said that people have been focusing on Leo's totem too much--- whether or not it kept spinning or stopped. He said that the point he was trying to make is that Leo's character did not care if he was dreaming or in reality because he was with his family--- i.e. he never looks back to see if it stops. The movie changed for me once I changed my focus. I'm not saying the movie isn't without flaws but I do think it deserves the praise, even if for the wrong reasons.

Granted, I haven't seen a lot of movies, including many on this list, but I have a difficult time understanding why there is no mention of Shutter Island by almost anyone. For me, that was by far the best movie of the year, and one of my favorite of the decade if you are counting 2010 part of the 2000's. I probably am beginning to sound like a vehicle for Leo DiCaprio, but his acting in the movie is incredible. I think the movie fell victim to a mislead advertising campaign. Audiences thought they were going to see a dark horror mystery as advertised but it turned out to be about Dicaprio's character period. The movie is depressing and the ending doesn't help the mood but it certainly wasn't Cape Fear's twin brother. I think expectations turned away audiences. Hence, no mention by nearly everyone across the country. The movie is about loss to me and I am glad Scorsese took a risk (followed by lots of flak afterwords). I understand why it was snubbed by audiences and critics because society has grown accustomed to clear, concise, happy endings and Shutter Island didn't deliver in that.

Okay my rant is done. I certainly don't mind any other opinions on the matter. Thanks.


Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:37 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: qbert, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr