Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:50 pm

December 28, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: 12 Performances" 
Post Re: December 28, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: 12 Performances"
Ken wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
Roony Mara WILL be a pale imitation of Rapace. Fincher is getting shit loads of undeserved praise for The Social Network but what he plans to do will simply show up his admirers as fanboys, nothing more.
This strikes me as totally unnecessary and even a little assholey.

Then I challenge anyone to come up with a convincing argument as to why remaking the millennium trilogy is a good idea. The most obvious reasons as to why he might be doing so do not make him look good in the slightest. People will try to defend his decision but that just comes across, to me anyway, as a little sycophantic. Perhaps he is a good bloke but I'm judging him on his work, not his personality. Also the undeserved praise is entirely my own viewpoint as I disliked the movie rather a lot.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:05 pm
1. I propose that the Millennium trilogy would be remade whether Fincher is involved or not.

2. Nice dodge on the assholiness. You seem to be not only judging his work, but also the people who disagree with your opinion of it. In an assholey way, to boot. I found that your post had little to do with merely questioning the wisdom of the remakes. There's a weird undercurrent of preemptive schadenfreude.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 am
Well one of my favourite movies was made by Fincher so I can't be too abusive I guess.

All I'm saying is that liking an artist and liking their work are two different things and people regularly confuse the two. Take the band Tool, for example. Some of their music is as far out of the box as you can get... people might still like this material simply because it is still by the same band, not because it is worth listening to. Okay though, fair play to them. Who am I to judge what people can and can't like? I'm simply stating the opinion that continuing to love Fincher after making such a cinematic faux pas probably means that said person likes him unconditionally. That isn't BAD, I'd like to clarify, I just think it's rather silly.

It probably would be remade by someone if Fincher hadn't but there is simply no valid reason to do so. Why not just remake the damn Godfather? Hollywood is pretty much doing to Swedish cinema what it's already done to it's Japanese equivalent except that less people seem to care.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:28 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Well one of my favourite movies was made by Fincher so I can't be too abusive I guess.

All I'm saying is that liking an artist and liking their work are two different things and people regularly confuse the two. Take the band Tool, for example. Some of their music is as far out of the box as you can get... people might still like this material simply because it is still by the same band, not because it is worth listening to. Okay though, fair play to them. Who am I to judge what people can and can't like? I'm simply stating the opinion that continuing to love Fincher after making such a cinematic faux pas probably means that said person likes him unconditionally. That isn't BAD, I'd like to clarify, I just think it's rather silly.

It probably would be remade by someone if Fincher hadn't but there is simply no valid reason to do so. Why not just remake the damn Godfather? Hollywood is pretty much doing to Swedish cinema what it's already done to it's Japanese equivalent except that less people seem to care.
Well i'm certianly not the biggest Fincher fan(I always thought Se7en was immensely overrated) so I most certianly do not love him unconditionally but after having seen the first two films of the trilogy(Hornet's Nest hasn't been released on DVD yet) I am definitely interested to see Fincher's take on them, while it Rooney Mara most likely won't measure up to Noomi Raspace, i'm still confident that she'll give a perfectly good performance in her own right.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:07 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Then I challenge anyone to come up with a convincing argument as to why remaking the millennium trilogy is a good idea.

It's not really good and a remake could significantly improve the source material? That's my argument, but I'd still like to see Fincher doing something different.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:13 pm
Gaffer

I read an article in W magazine (which featured the official photos of Mara as Lisbeth), and it seems like Fincher took liberties with the source novel. As in the ending being changed, Lisbeth being more aggressive and Mikael being less promiscuous. So those are three significant changes right off the bat there.

And Mara's Lisbeth is a far cry from Noomi Rapace's, IMO.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:43 am
Site Admin

MPC wrote:
I read an article in W magazine (which featured the official photos of Mara as Lisbeth), and it seems like Fincher took liberties with the source novel. As in the ending being changed, Lisbeth being more aggressive and Mikael being less promiscuous. So those are three significant changes right off the bat there.

And Mara's Lisbeth is a far cry from Noomi Rapace's, IMO.

I'm not of the opinion that the ending of DRAGON TATTOO needs changing. The end of HORNET'S NEST could definitely do with a significant re-work (since it was never designed as a wrap-up of the entire series but ended up becoming one).

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Director

It's not just the ending that needs changed in Hornet's Nest--the entire book needs a massive rewrite. If it wasn't for the fact that it is a third in the popular series (as in, if it was a standalone novel), it would never be published--it just isn't very good.

Here's a discussion of the W article: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... ertainment

And the article itself:
http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/20 ... ss#slide=1

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:18 am