December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10" 
Site Admin

Post December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
Click here to read topic.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: December 30, 2010: "The 2010 Round-Up: The Top 10"
I'm a little confused by your explanation of The Social Network. I'm not arguing for its placement higher on the list, but I simply don't understand or agree with the assessment that the movie should have explored how social networking has changed society. That would have been a fundamentally different film. I'm also not even sure Facebook's story would be the best way to express that, either, since social networking existed long before Facebook came into existence. Facebook changed the dynamic, especially in that it overthrew the competition to monopolize the industry. But by the end of the film, I don't believe it was at that point yet. Rising, but not #1.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ChronoSpark wrote:
I'm a little confused by your explanation of The Social Network. I'm not arguing for its placement higher on the list, but I simply don't understand or agree with the assessment that the movie should have explored how social networking has changed society.

The problem is that it tried to do this (somewhat) and didn't do a very good job of it. That speaks to Sorkin's fundamental lack of knowledge about Facebook.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
The problem is that it tried to do this (somewhat) and didn't do a very good job of it. That speaks to Sorkin's fundamental lack of knowledge about Facebook.

I suppose so. I just don't think that it needed to go any further with it, because it's not, at its core, about that. It's one aspect of it. The movie is more concerned with the people, the characters, than it is with some grand image of society after social networking. The themes it explores about society it does through its characters and their actions and choices. I understand where you're coming from, though. You're not the first person to raise that criticism.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hey James,

I noticed a mention for The Secret In Their Eyes on the runner-up list even though there was no review for that film. Will one be forthcoming anytime soon?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:09 pm
oafolay wrote:
Hey James,

I noticed a mention for The Secret In Their Eyes on the runner-up list even though there was no review for that film. Will one be forthcoming anytime soon?

James,

Great list and desperate to see King's Speech.

I'm with you and your position on Social Network.

I wish you could have seen Sweetgrass. A small documentary that is now on Netflix instant. It's struggling at only 965 on Rotten Tomatoes.

"The first essential movie of this young year", said Manohla Dargis

Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:17 pm
Second Unit Director

oafolay wrote:
Hey James,

I'm glad to see "The Secret in Their Eyes" as an honorable mention. That is a great movie. I am now eager to see "The King's Speech." I have a feeling that I will miss it in theaters. I also feel that "Inside Job" is essential viewing. It successfully paints a picture of the 2008 economic collapse that "Wall Street 2" only attempted to do.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 pm
Glad to see TRUE GRIT as high as it is...

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 pm
Has anyone seen the uncut (read: tv version) of The Millennium Trilogy? I opted out of the second and third parts after the first one derailed in the third act.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:35 pm
Interesting that JB's beef with Social Network is with Sorkin rather than Fincher. While it's true that Fincher hasn't always chosen that wisely with his screenplays, I do not think that was the case with Social Network. What's most impressive about the film is that while Sorkin's script is brilliantly written and conceived, the greatness of the movie belongs 90% to Fincher. The way he makes a straight drama as exciting as it is, far more so than Inception in my opinion, earns Social Network's title as the first great film of the new decade. What I'm curious about now is James' new year predictions. It seems impossible that anyone will take the director Oscar home this year besides Fincher.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm
Where's Kick-Ass? Certainly the most entertaining film of the year in my opinion. As for Inception, I am surprised to see it in the top ten. With hindsight, it was self-indulgent pretentious tosh. It was successful because it made stupid people feel intelligent. All that sub-James Bond snow fortress action bored me to tears.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 pm
Gaffer

I disagree with Inception being so high. It was good, but after watching the DVD twice (I didn't see it when it was in theaters), I'm not convinced that the movie's internal logic makes sense. I could have forgiven that had I not absolutely hated the ending. I normally like open-ended stories, but it felt like Nolan tried to shoehorn some ambiguity into the ending where it wasn't appropriate.

Quote:
Had installments #2 and #3 maintained the high level of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Swedish adaptation of Stieg Larsson's The Millennium Trilogy would have easily claimed the top spot.

Why did you need to group the 3 together? The 2nd and 3rd movies are linked so strongly that they can't really be separated, but The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo stands by itself quite well.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 pm
Alex wrote:
Where's Kick-Ass? Certainly the most entertaining film of the year in my opinion. As for Inception, I am surprised to see it in the top ten. With hindsight, it was self-indulgent pretentious tosh. It was successful because it made stupid people feel intelligent. All that sub-James Bond snow fortress action bored me to tears.

This statement made my day.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 am
MGamesCook wrote:
Alex wrote:

This statement made my day.

My main man Dustin agrees with you guyshttp://www.themovieboy.com/reviews/i/10_inception.htm

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 am
Kick Ass is very good, but top 10?

Not for me.

I liked it alot, but not enough for this status
Rob

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:50 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Kick Ass is very good, but top 10?

Not for me.

I liked it alot, but not enough for this status
Rob

Berardinelli's omission of Kick-Ass is an indisputable sign that the man is sane. I didn't see any terrible movies from 2010 but Kick-Ass was second on the list of Most Mediocre.

Wait.

Paranormal Activity 2 was a terrible movie. I saw one terrible movie from 2010.

---

I like the list and especially like the inclusion of Flipped. One of my favorite film genres so rarely get titles listed in anyone's best-of-year list.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:00 am
Nice list...for me though Inception trumps Kings Speech in almost every department. You can read as much or as little into the inner meanings of the plot of inception but what an entertainment! On my list KS drops to position 3 behind Inception and Social Network. JB is correct about the acting in KS: meaty stuff. Eminently watchable. As for True Grit the remake did not overshadow the original. Both films are worth the price of a movie ticket and the popcorn package! The original is rousing entertainment with a slam bang conclusion. The new version is subdued and muted and more elegaic: different films.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:05 am
Flipped is good,
but if you've seen 246 movies released in 2010
Nah.....
Rob

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:06 am
Director

Alex wrote:
Where's Kick-Ass? Certainly the most entertaining film of the year in my opinion.

Kick Ass was very good. If I were to make a top 10 it would be on it, albeit at 9 or 8 at the highest. Kick Ass is one of those films that doesn't do well at the box office yet later goes on to develop a cult following. I went to see it opening weekend after discussing it with a buddy on Facebook. He was surprised at the title considering that ti was based on a comic book. I reminded him of Sin City as proof that comic book based movies are not always necessarily kid friendly. When I saw it I thought "Very good. But little chance of really connecting with a mainstream crowd". Same goes for Scott Pilgrim.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:25 am
I liked Kick Ass a lot, but the problem I had with it, (and I think many others share this opinion) is the fact that I wish the whole film just followed Hit Girl around. Chloe stole every scene she was in. I hope Vaughn makes a spin off called Hit Girl Kicks More Ass as his next film after X-men.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:52 pm