Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
My Life 
Post Re: My Life
Married.

1 child.

'Trying' for another child.

I change my socks at least two times every day.

I can ski. I can't snowboard. I interview pretty well.

I once, this is true, had a dream about meeting one of the people on this forum. It may have been you. No, the dream wasn't sexual.

I've tried to get on NPR's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! at least 20 times over the past ten years and have yet to receive any kind of acknowledgement from those bastards.

You like really great in that top and have been nervous about telling you.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:53 am
Vexer wrote:
No Patrick, i'm definitely not planning on being a cop, that's FAR too dangerous of a profession for me to even consider, i'm actually planning on being a counselor for those who are dealing with substance abuse.

and insanely cool that is too!
IMHO
Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:55 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Married.

1 child.

I once, this is true, had a dream about meeting one of the people on this forum. It may have been you. No, the dream wasn't sexual.

I've tried to get on NPR's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! at least 20 times over the past ten years and have yet to receive any kind of acknowledgement from those bastards.

I have the gel - I'll be your doggie any time :-)
Whoops wrong forum
scrub that
Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:56 am
on a more serious note, I finally got round to doing something today
I''d been promising myself for a couple of years

My home theater back wall (behind the screen) was cream

Sad for me that when I bought my house my step dad dies in England the same week

I travelled

the contractors sprayed the house cream all over while I was away :-(

So I painted the back wall dark red, looks nice.

and makes the image POP

Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:00 am
majoraphasia wrote:
It may have been you. No, the dream wasn't sexual.

Oh, so that means the dream wasn't about me. Good to know.

I'm 18. I go to college in St. Louis. I'm studying film production, which means at some point I hoped to produce films. I'm less sure now than I was but still pretty damn sure, but at the moment am focusing more on writing. This means I nag at myself all day every day trying to get myself to write something. I rarely do.

I come from a Catholic family of 6. I am not a Catholic personally but I haven't completely exorcised the idea from my system. On certain days I like to think all the world's major religions are right and wrong in their own ways. On others I lean toward "It doesn't matter either way"

My life is good, though so far being home is monstrously boring compared to being at school. Funny how that worked out. It's always been anxiety-racking, mainly because (don't read on if you have an inflated vision of me / a strong sense of right and wrong (ha! Inflated. Like a Zeppelin!)) I recently got caught shoplifting. Very complicated situation, and one I won't get into here. Just know I got away 98% scotch free, and weep for America's youth. Also, if anyone asks anything about this I'm deleting it. Very tricky situation, trust me. I'm telling you out of honesty. This Zeppelin is not just made of buttercups and honeysuckles. This is probably obvious.

(Continue reading here, for those who remained pure of heart)

I tend to do things I have to do and avoid things I should do. All my grades from my first semester of college were As and I barely worked for them. I'm not trying to brag, just stating a fact. I'm a depressive who tends to get all existential over stupid bullshit but rarely bother myself over things most people stress over (schoolwork, relationships). I would consider myself socially well-adjusted, although I just plain can't get along with some people. This is true of everyone.

I've never had a job or a held down a relationship for more than a month. Right now I'm 100 pages into 1984 by George Orwell and loving it. My favorite genre of music is hip hop, and my favorite album is "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" By El-P. The last film I watched was, strangely enough, How High starring Method Man and Redman, a far cry from "Andrei Rublev" to say the least. I enjoyed it, though great film it is not. Speaking of which, I occasionally partake in illegal substances, though with moderation. They only appeal to me in certain moods. If you'd like to hunt me down and molest me, my address is...

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:19 am
Zeppelin wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I'm 18. I go to college in St. Louis. I'm studying film production, which means at some point I hoped to produce films. I'm less sure now than I was but still pretty damn sure, but at the moment am focusing more on writing. This means I nag at myself all day every day trying to get myself to write something. I rarely do.

I come from a Catholic family of 6. I am not a Catholic personally but I haven't completely exorcised the idea from my system. On certain days I like to think all the world's major religions are right and wrong in their own ways. On others I lean toward "It doesn't matter either way"

My life is good, though so far being home is monstrously boring compared to being at school. Funny how that worked out. It's always been anxiety-racking, mainly because (don't read on if you have an inflated vision of me / a strong sense of right and wrong (ha! Inflated. Like a Zeppelin!)) I recently got caught shoplifting. Very complicated situation, and one I won't get into here. Just know I got away 98% scotch free, and weep for America's youth. Also, if anyone asks anything about this I'm deleting it. Very tricky situation, trust me. I'm telling you out of honesty. This Zeppelin is not just made of buttercups and honeysuckles. This is probably obvious.

(Continue reading here, for those who remained pure of heart)

I tend to do things I have to do and avoid things I should do. All my grades from my first semester of college were As and I barely worked for them. I'm not trying to brag, just stating a fact. I'm a depressive who tends to get all existential over stupid bullshit but rarely bother myself over things most people stress over (schoolwork, relationships). I would consider myself socially well-adjusted, although I just plain can't get along with some people. This is true of everyone.

I've never had a job or a held down a relationship for more than a month. Right now I'm 100 pages into 1984 by George Orwell and loving it. My favorite genre of music is hip hop, and my favorite album is "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" By El-P. The last film I watched was, strangely enough, How High starring Method Man and Redman, a far cry from "Andrei Rublev" to say the least. I enjoyed it, though great film it is not. Speaking of which, I occasionally partake in illegal substances, though with moderation. They only appeal to me in certain moods. If you'd like to hunt me down and molest me, my address is...

Greata to get to know you a bit more!

My parents never understood why I wanted to return to college early each term / semester
Hated vacations - college was women and fun

Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:25 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Married.

1 child.

My mom happens to be a huge fan of Wait Wait, I think she actually did get on the show once(or maybe it was some other radio program, I forget)

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 am
I have lived for approximately 19 revolutions of the sun.

Go to college as a sophomore, am considering trying for physics (unlikely) or aerospace engineering (slightly more likely) as a major.

Enjoy watching movies which can either say new things to me, say old things in a new slant, or just say nothing with alot of style and coolness.

When I'm not doing that (which is often nowadays) I tend to surf the web, tvtropes and facebook in particular, attempt to suck less at my new guitar playing, read occasional sci fi/fantasy/human life books/comics, listen to all kinds of music (but pop is generally excluded), and sleep.

Not a special life, but not a bad one neither.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 am
majoraphasia wrote:
That's how I know it wasn't me.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 am
Most of my days are spent fanning Robert Holloway while he relaxes on his gigantic couch. I occasionally feed him grapes and adjust the volume on his television when Battlefield Earth comes on. That's all he watches anymore.

I was a little tipsy last night. Unfortunately, I wrote the previous sentence tonight, which doesn't qualify for last night. My deranged sense of humor cannot hide behind my burgeoning alcoholism at the moment.

Yeah, anyway.

I don't love my life with the same ferocity that some of you folks seem to have, but I'm quite content at the moment. I seem to be coasting through San Francisco State with As and Bs, no real goal or desire for a real goal in sight. I enjoy writing quite a bit and enjoy writing about myself and my experiences even more. If one were to label me as narcissistic, they would be probably be at least partially accurate. I'm not a confident person by nature or environment. I very rarely find situations where I think I'm of any worth.

I'm excellent at a number of useless things. I used to be able to do an easy sudoku in about one minute flat; some people can't finish one. I'm generally very good at Settlers of Catan and would like to play a round you folks, and win. I'm not competitive, but I like winning if that makes any sense. I also kick ass at DDR, to the point where it has contributed to my physique. I'm not skinny, but I'd be so much fatter without it.

I've recently toyed with the idea of being an asshole. I'm not sure why; I guess it's because a lot of people think I'm a nice guy. Actually, it probably comes from the fact that one of my last rejections came from a person who claimed I'm too goddamn nice. According to her, I apparently need to be a little more aggressive. Well, aggressiveness doesn't translate into douchebaggery, so I'm still doing something wrong. The truth is, I'm incredibly manipulative and hypocritical and don't give a fuck. I'm tired of being the sympathetic best friend character in everyone's pitiful lives. I'm also tired of people telling me what I am and what I'm not.

I care very deeply about my friends and family and, bounds of reason, there's little I won't do for the people I love. Connecting with people on levels deeper than what they ate for breakfast is important to me.

There's more. Always more. That's enough for now, though.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:00 am
Pedro -- my feeling is that Settlers is like Euchre in that if you're playing with people who know what they're doing, it's a lot of luck. Not all luck, certainly, but more than meets the eye. Still a great game, though, and I'd love to take you on.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 am
majoraphasia wrote:

Ah crap, it's probably about me.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 am
Last night was again spent lazing on the couch. That lazy good for nothing Pedro was being slow with the grapes. He didn't even hit replay when Battlefield finished at 8:45. He knows the story and surely knew when it was finishing.

He kept whining something about his life being all confused, out of order and jumbled up. Staring at these strange pictures and mumbling about color and black and white.

He's useless I tell you! Anyway, I'm off to get more grapes.
Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:36 am
Today I'm making chicken stock. There's nothing like a half dozen chicken carcasses simmering in a pot for 8 hours yielding all of their poultry goodness.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 am
johnny larue wrote:
Today I'm making chicken stock. There's nothing like a half dozen chicken carcasses simmering in a pot for 8 hours yielding all of their poultry goodness.

6 chickens! Wow, what happened at your place Johnny?
Yumba!
Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:07 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

Yumba!
Rob

I've been collecting roasted birds and chucking them in the basement chest freezer all year. Busted them up this morning and tossed them in some water and set to boil. I just added the aromatics to the pot (celery, carrot, pepper and onion)...the house is smelling real tasty right now. Another 5 hours to go. Should get about a gallon or a gallon and a half of stock when all is said and done.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

Yumba!
Rob

I've been collecting roasted birds and chucking them in the basement chest freezer all year. Busted them up this morning and tossed them in some water and set to boil. I just added the aromatics to the pot (celery, carrot, pepper and onion)...the house is smelling real tasty right now. Another 5 hours to go. Should get about a gallon or a gallon and a half of stock when all is said and done.

Where I work (not a farm), we have 25+ chickens who roam pretty freely. Every once in a while we'll harvest a few to make stock out of of. Now that's a fine smell, let me tell you.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Ken wrote:
That's how I know it wasn't me.

Now is a good time to tell both of you that I don't consider fisting to be a sexual act. And you were both wonderful.

Patrick wrote:
Ah crap, it's probably about me.

Definitely not. But since my dreaming about someone is considered ignominious I'll gladly report that the subject doesn't post on this forum any longer and hasn't posted here for about a year. It's also someone I never interacted with so I'm not sure why they popped up. I'll be sure to talk to my therapist about it when we finish with my easygoing childhood and move on to my arrested adolescence.

To bring it back to bio:

I had a girlfriend who was caught and arrested for shoplifting. She also had a habit of screwing around with other guys. The result of her arrest was getting kicked off an exchange program and, to my shame, I expressed some pathetic 'happiness' to her about the fact that she wouldn't have a chance to fuck around with foreign men. I wasn't the happiest 17-year-old.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 pm
Must have reenacted Angel Heart.

That's a lot of dead poultry!

We just finished a bottle of nice S.A. Cabernet Sauvignon and a game of Carcasonne, with three or four of the extensions thrown in. Good fun. Now it's time to watch a movie. I think either Psycho or Misery are waiting to be watched and deleted. Need to make room on the box!

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm
I am divorced, one child, nine years old who sadly does not reside with me. She lives two hours away and spends a few weekends a month with me. Luckily I had her Sat through Tuesday this week and I pick her back up tomorrow morning until Sunday during which we'll then drive another 3.5 hours to my father's for a belated Christmas.

This time of year is hectic for me as I run a large retail store which is why I disappear from these parts from time to time. Between the work schedule and the driving back and forth with my daughter and finding time with her, I check out sometimes though I'm always trying to keep up with what everyone's writing.

I am an avid reader and music lover. and a rather passionate sports fan.

I live with my girlfriend of two years.

This holiday season was particularly trying for me as I had to terminate a manager for theft.

I have indeed watched a film with James.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next