Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

December 26, 2010: "The 2010 Autopsy" 
Director

Post Re: December 26, 2010: "The 2010 Autopsy"
MGamesCook wrote:
Avatar is the kind of thing that works ONCE and once only. If Hollywood relies on that sort of thing again, it may cause irreparable damage. It was these same kinds of overblown epics that people got tired of in the 1960s, and which ultimately led to the temporary death of Hollywood.

But it didn't. It led to the greatest, most fertile period in the history of American cinema. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that happening again.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:35 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
But it didn't. It led to the greatest, most fertile period in the history of American cinema. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that happening again.
That sounds dangerously close to a presumed causal connection.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:49 pm
Doxxman wrote:
Don't get me wrong james, you see a lot of movies, but maybe you should attempt more showings of smaller movies before dismissing a whole year as "weak". Some of my favorite features you have not even reviewed, including: Daddy Longlegs, Mother and Child, Animal Kingdom, Trash Humpers, Soul Kithchen, Delta, Howl, Carlos, Inside Job, Thorn in the Heart, Enter the Void, Exit Through the
Gift shop, and others.

Welcome. James did actually review Soul Kitchen. I'm holding out hope that he'll review Enter the Void and Exit Through The Gift Shop (how 'bout it James? :) ) and I believe that he can't see a few of these because of availability. However, I agree with your point in general. Some of these are out on DVD and I'd be very happy if JB could review a few of them.

James Berardinelli wrote:
Several potential "franchise" titles (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, TRON: Legacy, Sex and the City 2) disappointed due to overinflated expectations.

The International Box Office really is a strange (but interesting) thing. From the US figures you'd think those were massive bombs. Sex and the City 2 grossed $288M worldwide on a $100M budget. Probably not enough for another sequel, but pretty profitable. Narnia has $227M worldwide on a $155M budget in about 2.5 weeks. No more sequels, but it should break even (at least). TRON: Legacy might not fare as well but with $152M after 1.5 weeks on a $170M budget it shouldn't be a massive disappointment. A minor failure at worst. Break-even or a little better at best?

Anyone know what the biggest bomb of 2010 is? I'm genuinely interested. Jonah Hex made just under $11M worldwide from a $47M budget. How Do You Know has yet to open internationally but it has only $15M from a $120M production budget so far. I doubt this film plays better in foreign markets than it does in the US, but you never know.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 pm
Was Avatar your only **** of 2009? Despite personally advising most people I know to see it at least once, I feel it was only *** recommendation. There's just so much about it that cries wolf, to be honest.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:46 pm
His other four-star for 2009 was Inglourious Basterds.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Avatar is the kind of thing that works ONCE and once only. If Hollywood relies on that sort of thing again, it may cause irreparable damage. It was these same kinds of overblown epics that people got tired of in the 1960s, and which ultimately led to the temporary death of Hollywood.

There's no denying Hollywood came back with a vengeance. We owe it all to Scorsese and Spielberg's generation. The same thing won't happen again unless we have filmmakers who are just as talented. And in the age of home entertainment, even that might not be enough anymore.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:06 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:

LMFAO

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:29 pm
MPC wrote:
I honestly think 2011 will have elements of 2007 and 2008's summer months. I personally think Marvel's dual film lineup of Thor and Captain America will end up grossing Iron Man numbers each, if audiences light up to them.

Not if they suck :) And we are def on the second tier of superhero's at this point. So the number of people who will even care is less...

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm
JJoshay wrote:
2002 was a very weak year, where only a few films truly achieved greatness or close to it: The Two Towers, Minority Report, Femme Fatale, The Pianist, Spirited Away, Gangs of New York and Lilo & Stitch. There are a few others I haven't seen but those are the only ones that stand out on one level or another.

Catch Me If You Can, Chicago, About A Boy too. Personally, Gangs of NY was a pos.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:44 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Not if they suck :) And we are def on the second tier of superhero's at this point. So the number of people who will even care is less...
We certainly are, but more than that, we seem to be sampling from multiple tiers at once. Captain America isn't quite Superman or Spider-Man, but Jonah Hex is no Captain America.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 am
Director

Ken wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I don't believe it is. By the mid-1960s, the old guard at the studios was graying and dying, and the people who were in charge didn't know how to connect with audiences. The studios made a lot of big-budget epics, many of which flopped.

So in response, they turned the reins over to the directors for an all-too brief moment in the late 60s through the 70s. And you know the films we got. The irony here is that it was the same excesses of the studios that ultimately ended the New Hollywood auteurs.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Ken wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I don't believe it is. By the mid-1960s, the old guard at the studios was graying and dying, and the people who were in charge didn't know how to connect with audiences. The studios made a lot of big-budget epics, many of which flopped.

So in response, they turned the reins over to the directors for an all-too brief moment in the late 60s through the 70s. And you know the films we got. The irony here is that it was the same excesses of the studios that ultimately ended the New Hollywood auteurs.

It was a good cycle. Then it cycled back in the other direction for most of the 80s. Then we had a similar thing take place for a while in the 1990s. When the likes of Soderbergh and Tarantino and Rodriguez and PT Anderson and David O'Russell and Richard Linklater and Kevin Smith came along in the 1990s and started pushing their independent films to the forefront it was a 1990s version of what happened in the Easy Riders/Raging Bulls era. While a lot of the 1970s films were in response to the political and cultural cataclysms that were shaking the country in that era, they were also a reaction to those aforementioned failed big budget epics that didn't connect. In a same way, a lot of the 1990s independent/sundance films were a reaction to the political and cultural issues of the era as well as a reaction to big budget junk like Judge Dredd and Last Action Hero. In both cases it was a good cycle. Of course, it ultimately reverted back in both cases. Hollywood spent most of the 80s focused on Blockbusters and Bruckheimer vehicles much like it did most of the past decade. But it wouldn't shock me if it were to cycle back again because people I suspect are starting to get tired of movies that are just empty roller coasters and thrill rides. That would be good for audiences in general. And it would also make it easier for would be filmmakers who have good ideas that aren't precisely commercial.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:25 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Doxxman wrote:
Don't get me wrong james, you see a lot of movies, but maybe you should attempt more showings of smaller movies before dismissing a whole year as "weak". Some of my favorite features you have not even reviewed, including: Daddy Longlegs, Mother and Child, Animal Kingdom, Trash Humpers, Soul Kithchen, Delta, Howl, Carlos, Inside Job, Thorn in the Heart, Enter the Void, Exit Through the
Gift shop, and others.

Welcome. James did actually review Soul Kitchen. I'm holding out hope that he'll review Enter the Void and Exit Through The Gift Shop (how 'bout it James? :) ) and I believe that he can't see a few of these because of availability. However, I agree with your point in general. Some of these are out on DVD and I'd be very happy if JB could review a few of them.

Also, I'm not sure any of those films are four-star worthy in his eyes. The only ones that might come close are Animal Kingdom and Exit Through the Gift Shop. Maybe. I can't imagine him liking Enter the Void for some reason. I am reminded of his review for Antichrist.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:48 pm
Pedro wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Doxxman wrote:
Gift shop, and others.

Also, I'm not sure any of those films are four-star worthy in his eyes. The only ones that might come close are Animal Kingdom and Exit Through the Gift Shop. Maybe. I can't imagine him liking Enter the Void for some reason. I am reminded of his review for Antichrist.

They shouldn't have to be "4 star worthy" to be reviewed. 3.5 star-worthy should more than suffice.

It's also entirely possible that JB will hate Enter the Void, but let's not forget that he gave Noe's Irreversible 3.5 stars. I'm holding out hope for a review, particularly as availability increases over the coming weeks.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:24 am
Neh. Pedro's right: the best we can hope for is a **1/2 and a dismissal like that he gave to Antichrist. He'll knock the running time, the acting, the this, the that.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm
I just finished reading the last 3 ReelThoughts articles, with this one being the absolute last, and I have to say that I totally agree. 2010 was one of the worst years for films for me. I can honestly say that there were just 2 films that I had anything resembling anticipation for: Iron Man 2 (which disappointed) and Tron: Legacy (which didn't disappoint because I had lowered my expectations). I agree with those who feel that 2010 was inundated with shitty "3D" films that were released simply to make the extra buck from the horseshit surcharge.

For me, the best year in the past decade for films overall had to be 2008, with films like The Dark Knight, Gran Torino, Iron Man, and The Wrestler. It had it's share of crap too (eg: Twilight), but for me it didn't outweigh the good.

Hopefully, 2011 will be better, but so far, I've had the same sense of anticipation as I did for this past year. :(

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:29 pm
Site Admin

majoraphasia wrote:
Neh. Pedro's right: the best we can hope for is a **1/2 and a dismissal like that he gave to Antichrist. He'll knock the running time, the acting, the this, the that.

I plan to see it but not review it. Unless I think it's a candidate for the Top 100, that is.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:
For me, the best year in the past decade for films overall had to be 2008, with films like The Dark Knight, Gran Torino, Iron Man, and The Wrestler.

Hmmmm 2.5, 3, 2, 3, respectively. We are just different.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm
You thought The Wrestler and Gran Torino were equitable? Man, we ARE different.

Or is this just one of those things?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
You thought The Wrestler and Gran Torino were equitable? Man, we ARE different.

Or is this just one of those things?

The Wrestler is worse than it should be. It's got a dynamic director, great lead performances, and then a story so trite we know every beat before the movie begins. The arc of that movie would have felt tired in 1962. I wasn't upset by the praise it got because I love Aronofsky and washappy to see him praised after he torpedoed himself with The Fountain, but man was that overrated. Meanwhile Gran Torino is better than it should be. It's just as hoary as Aronofsky's film, but manages to be worthwhile through its general delightfulness. It's old-fashioned in every way, but funny and enjoyable. So three stars for Gran Torino, and three for The Wrestler.

But yeah, we're different.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 am