Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
My Life 
Post My Life
I have often wondered what people around here actually do when they are not on the forum.

So I thought I'd start a thread where we post about our lives rather then our movies. Maybe they are the same but who knows. i'm not talking about biographies, but snippets about your day.

I'm talking trivia, not earth shattering revelations - but they are welcome as well.

I'm hoping that we all get to know a bit more about each other and have some fun in the process.

Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:34 am
Post Re: My Life
I'll start ...

Pedro has been to my house so he knows best.

I moved here 2 years ago, my step dad died in the middle of me buying the house when I had contractors doing stuff. I had to immediately fly to the UK and the contractors sprayed the entire interior in a color I hate.

Beige :-(

So in June I decided that every two months I would redecorate a room. Today was such a day. I decided to paint one room in my lounge brick red. It's the wall behind my screen.

My dog was pissed because it's raining endlessly and he just wants to go for walks in the hills and he's not at all sure about this painting stuff.

Work is slow as we are in between xmas and new year and big co is on vacation.

Oh yeah, I'm divorced, so no kids today. Tomorrow will be chaos :-)

Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 am
This sounds like stuff that would normally be posted on Facebook.

Anyway...I work in "corporate America" but I get the week off between Christmas and New Years every year. I also had a week of vacation to burn so I'm in the middle of 2 weeks off of work. The kids (ages 3 and 1) were at daycare today so the wife and I snuck off to see The Social Network on a matinee show. Tomorrow the kids are not in daycare so I'm taking my 3 year old on his first trip bowling. Should be a hoot.

Yesterday we were in the back yard playing in the snow; alternating pulling the 1 year old in the toddler sled, then the 3 year old, then the 3 year old pulling the 1 year old, then pulling the 1 year old on the 3 year old. Many photos ensued.

Attachments:
DSC_0407_Small.jpg
DSC_0407_Small.jpg [ 60.37 KiB | Viewed 4992 times ]
Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:47 am
When i'm not watching films, i'm usually surfing the web, playing video games or taking a class at my local community college, I still live with my parents and I have not yet had a paying job.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:37 am
I like to write, talk about movies, make music, and make stupid jokes that only a few people understand and even less find funny.

In other words, my real life is depressingly similar to my e-life.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 am
johnny larue wrote:

Anyway...I work in "corporate America" but I get the week off between Christmas and New Years every year. I also had a week of vacation to burn so I'm in the middle of 2 weeks off of work. The kids (ages 3 and 1) were at daycare today so the wife and I snuck off to see The Social Network on a matinee show. Tomorrow the kids are not in daycare so I'm taking my 3 year old on his first trip bowling. Should be a hoot.

Yesterday we were in the back yard playing in the snow; alternating pulling the 1 year old in the toddler sled, then the 3 year old, then the 3 year old pulling the 1 year old, then pulling the 1 year old on the 3 year old. Many photos ensued.

Hi Johnny

I'm so envious of the snow - almost unheard of where i am in California

Very cool - and how di d you and your wife get on with Social Network?

Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 am
Vexer wrote:
When i'm not watching films, i'm usually surfing the web, playing video games or taking a class at my local community college, I still live with my parents and I have not yet had a paying job.

Hi Vexer,

What class are you doing?

Trust me, paying jobs suck :-)

Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 am
Ken wrote:
I like to write, talk about movies, make music, and make stupid jokes that only a few people understand and even less find funny.

In other words, my real life is depressingly similar to my e-life.

What sot of music do you make?
Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 am
Rock music with electric git-fiddles and whatnot.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:03 am

Ken,

Very cool blog - give me flava man

Rob

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

Hi Johnny

I'm so envious of the snow - almost unheard of where i am in California

Very cool - and how di d you and your wife get on with Social Network?

Rob

We enjoyed it quite a bit. With the 2 kids and her teaching at University usually kicking her butt, we don't find much time for movies, or even TV shows, together. I go to movies with buddies maybe 1-2 times a month, but she doesn't have the time so it was nice to get out. Not sure what we're doing on Thursday when the kids are back at daycare.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 am
I genuinely love my life. I have family and friends that I love and that love me and I try to learn every day.

My job is program director at a smallish camp. 9 weeks of kids during the summer, retreats every weekend the rest of the year. My weekdays are full of being active in the community in orphanages, group homes, tent cities and after-school programs. I coach high school basketball, both a guys team and a girls team, which takes up a ton of time this time of year. Depending on how one looks at it, I work 80 hours a week or none. I don't think of it, really, one way or the other.

Our camp does not charge any of our guests. For that reason and others, I choose to not take a salary. I don't say this to brag, but I feel that as a non-profit that receives donations, the money that comes in should go straight to making camp the best it can be and not into providing me things I don't need. I live on grounds at camp, and everything we have we build with our hands. It's quality stuff because we have quality and talented staff and volunteers, but it's nice to see the fruits of our labor rather than contracting everything out. We're in the process of being 100% wind and solar powered (one of our guys is a turbines expert, so we're building all this too). We want to be off the grid -- not to dodge the government, but to live as cheaply as possible.

The work and living community for me is wonderful. People are needy, sure, but people are needy everywhere. We are blessed with many dedicated volunteers who help us get things done.

In my spare time, I write and play basketball and watch movies.

No job -- normal or corporate or glamorous or otherwise -- is perfect. There are things I have to do that I don't love doing and I have bad days. But overall, I'm satisfied and happy to be doing stuff that matters. It's not for everyone, certainly, but it's fantastic for me.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:32 am
Director

I, like Shade, love my life a lot as well.

I have been blessed with a good family and solid upbringings, both of my parents are still together, my sister is very intelligent and going to a good school, and we recently moved my grandmother in with us to look after her due to her various health ailments.

I currently go to a university. I commute to school in order to save my folks money, seeing it only takes me 15-20 minutes to get there so it makes perfect sense. I have a part-time job at a pet store which I generally like, which I have kept for almost 3 years, and I also am doing odd jobs here and there within the athletics department seeing that my major in sports related.

I want to work in sports. I have had a passion for it since I was 5 years old. I follow the NBA extremely closely and I am hoping to find a way into it. It would be a dream come true to work in some way within the league, seeing I am such an avid fan of it.

I also write for a website about the NBA which I enjoy.

When I am not doing anything sports related, I am watching/writing about movies, watching basketball, playing basketball, listening to music, playing video games, or chilling out with friends. I have been blessed to still be very close friends with people I have known since I was 5 years old. Not many people can say that. It's weird but a lot of the people I grew up with in elementary through high school winded up going to the same college I am attending now so we still see each other quite a lot.

I consider myself very lucky to be where I am at right now. I do not take any of it for granted. I hope to move out of my parents house once I finish up in college.

I have never had a girlfriend. I don't look like Shrek, it just has not worked out for some reason, but I know it will happen eventually.

I am a Christian but I am no where close to the insane stereotypical over-zealous type Hollywood often portrays (I'm looking at you, There Will Be Blood).

And that, is that.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Hi Vexer,

Rob

This semester i'll be taking Intro To Substance Abuse.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I live with my girlfriend and daughter (2) and love it. Christmas has been pretty hectic this year and we've barely been able to move for presents for the little 'en. She was quite poorly though with a bit of flu, so hasn't quite been able to enjoy it all just yet. My girlfriend and I like nothing more than watching rubbish on television and eating lots of crap food.

I work in a fraud department for a bank, dealing with internet banking, the usual 9 - 5 hours, Monday to Friday.

I play a bit of football, 5-a-side every couple of weeks in a league. We're not terrible, but not amazing.

I've played drums for about 13 years now. I only play in one band at the moment, but was in four at the beginning of the year. I generally play in fast metal bands. Here are a few old ones if you want to check them out: http://www.myspace.com/soulfracture, http://www.myspace.com/humanitysgone, http://www.myspace.com/decrepitwomb. Soulfracture played with some amazing bands during our time. These might not mean anything to people on here, depending on what you listen to, but we got to play with the likes of: Testament, Kreator, Amen, Aborted, The Red Chord and loads more. Great fun!

I love cats.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:41 am
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Hi Vexer,

Rob

You don't need to go to college to learn about that! ;)

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 am
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Hi Vexer,

Rob

You studying to be a cop?

As for me,

I work 9 hours a day pulling parts for an auto parts warehouse where the high point of my day is making fun of the drivers and them making fun of me. I get all this for $8/hour.

At home, I usually do something that's going to be a review on my blog like a video game or a book or this month, movies.

In between, I usually get lectured by my parents about how I should think of getting my masters or getting an IT certification and me biting my tongue as I don't think I really wanted an IT job and I'm not really good at it. I only got a CS degree since people who were good at it get a lot of money and I like computers.

And if I get time, I make videos.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 am
Director

Hmmm let's see

I'm currently finishing up the 6th and (likely) final application for Phd programs in political science. Along with that, I'm reading a book on game theory (Games of Strategy, which is the standard textbook on the subject). Yeah and I'm currently unemployed and living at home, yay. So I try to spend some time most days looking for and applying to jobs (you'd think that having close to a 4.0 GPA on a double major from a good university would count for something, but it basically hasn't). Beyond that my life is very boring. I've been spending a bit of time the past few weeks playing Madden, which is quite the waste of time. On Sundays I go to church (LDS--a 3 hour block). I've been meeting up with a friend from Harbin, China for the past few weeks but he'll be going back home in two weeks so I'll only be able to converse with him on Skype or QQ. When I'm not being lazy I also practice my Chinese. And I look for pretty much any excuse to gather data and do statistical analyses. Oh and I have a ton of lectures from UC Berkely's webcast and a few other unis, which I'm going through--currently on a series on philosophy of the mind, which allowed me to bust out some Descartes in a conversation last night, w00t.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:04 am
My life right now is at the beginning of a major transition period. I'm currently enrolled in a winter session class at ASU which, should everything go smoothly, will be my last class as a college undergraduate. I actually finished up all my classes for my major, Film and Media Studies, in the spring, but decided to stick around for an extra semester to finish up a Business minor, partly for extra insurance post-graduation and partly to just stall for time. I've been a part-time student worker at ASU for 4 years now, but once my class ends I will only have two extra weeks before I can no longer work there. My hope is that my connections with people at ASU can help me find a more substantial job on campus, which would also allow me to pursue graduate studies. The dream would eventually be to find a way to get into a career in writing about film, although I really don't know how I'd find an opportunity like that. While I had my own place for most of college, I'm now back living at home for the time being, and in the next few weeks I'll start actively looking for work in the real world.

My current class starts at 8:30 in the morning, which means I have to get up at 7:00 to commute to campus and get there on time. I go to work immediately afterwards, although right now because of the holidays many of my coworkers are not here, meaning I usually just take off early so I can go home and take a nap. A few times a week I'll stop into my local record stores to rummage through vinyl LPs and used DVDs. Just yesterday I picked up an XTC album, as well as a used copy of the Criterion edition of Jules & Jim. My Christmas present this year was a nice little LCD 1080p television and Bluray player with Netflix capabilities, so I've spent a lot of my time recently just zoning out and going through the films on my Instant Watch queue. My life.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:58 pm
No Patrick, i'm definitely not planning on being a cop, that's FAR too dangerous of a profession for me to even consider, i'm actually planning on being a counselor for those who are dealing with substance abuse.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next