Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

BODY HEAT (1981) 
Site Admin

Post BODY HEAT (1981)
Click here for the review of Body Heat (1981)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: BODY HEAT (1981)
I love this movie for so many reasons. It was one of my top five of that year. i was really excited when I saw you would be reviewing it.

I always remember the wind chimes and the way that Kasdan conveyed heat in the location and heat between his leads.
The scene with the kid witness always made me laugh
The ending (no spoilers) is simply delicious
The music - I was so happy you mentioned the awesome work of 007 legend John Barry

Great review James! 3.5 stars here too.
Rob

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:22 pm
I've always wanted to see this. I guess I have no excuse now ;)

P.S. - Did you watch 'Body Heat' on regular DVD or Blu-ray, and if Blu-ray, was the difference noticeable?

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm
I dunno Turner was plenty hot in War of the Roses

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:33 pm
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:
P.S. - Did you watch 'Body Heat' on regular DVD or Blu-ray, and if Blu-ray, was the difference noticeable?

For this review, I watched it on Blu-Ray. I have seen it on DVD, but that was several years ago, so I can't properly compare. The Blu-Ray looked great, though.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:49 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

For this review, I watched it on Blu-Ray. I have seen it on DVD, but that was several years ago, so I can't properly compare. The Blu-Ray looked great, though.

Sounds like I should add this to my Netflix queue. I did not even know it was out on Blu Ray :-(

I have not seen it since November 2004, so it's due for a another look anyway.

Thanks - Rob

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:57 am
I'll add it to my Netflix queue. I've been getting into Mickey Rourke's history and I suppose this is a good place to start watching. (I've only seen The Wrestler and Angel Heart.)

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:46 am
After reading the A.V. Club's primer of Mickey Rourke http://www.avclub.com/articles/primer-mickey-rourke,24108/ and seeing The Wrestler, I've been trying to wade through Mickey Rourke's filmography. I really dug Angel Heart and Body Heat might have to be my next film on the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:26 pm
Good review James this is one of my favorite neo-noir films.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:46 pm
Hey everyone,

If you're a film fan

YOU NEED TO SEE THIS FILM!

sorry for the shout but not really because I want to shout from the roof tops. I'm passionate about this one :-)

The great thing about this movie is it's amazing quality combines with it's easy viewing accessibility.

It's both a deep film study and Friday night beer and pizza film.

How many films can say that?
Rob

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 am
James Berardinelli's review of this great film just made me wonder, whatever happened to Lawrence Kasdan? After this strong directing debut, his career (as a director) seems to have petered out over the years. IMDB lists the abominable "Dreamcatchers" as his latest film, of which there have only been a handful.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 am
Site Admin

Unke wrote:
James Berardinelli's review of this great film just made me wonder, whatever happened to Lawrence Kasdan? After this strong directing debut, his career (as a director) seems to have petered out over the years. IMDB lists the abominable "Dreamcatchers" as his latest film, of which there have only been a handful.

I read somewhere that he's lost interest in directing films but is still occasionally writing screenplays and doing script-doctor work. He said that he's not officially retired, so if something comes along that fires his imagination, he could see himself behind the camera again, but right now it's not in his immediate future.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 am
Profile WWW
I read somewhere that he's lost interest in directing films but is still occasionally writing screenplays and doing script-doctor work. He said that he's not officially retired, so if something comes along that fires his imagination, he could see himself behind the camera again, but right now it's not in his immediate future.

That's interesting. I would've thought most people working in the film industry would prefer directing to screenwriting if given the option. I'm outright puzzled that Kasdan's imagination was fired by "Dreamcatchers" (crap weasels!!!).

I was just wondering whether there's any etiquette on how to address/refer to site administrator and reviewer extraordinaire James Berardinelli (JB, James, Mr. Berardinelli?)

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am
All the cool people use JB....are you cool enough to use those letters?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 am
Excellent review - glad to see this favorite movie discussed.

I always loved the wind-chimes too, but especially the moment when Mattie stands in the entry hall looking sultry, waiting for Hurt's character to break in to get at her... there is a woman with confidence in her sex appeal!

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:06 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I have to agree that the Blu-Ray looks excellent. I Netflixed it after your review, and promptly bought it a day after sending it back in the mail.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:44 am
Always liked this movie. One of the more modern noir films. Probably the best film that both Hurt and Turner were ever in. And, I'm proud to say my Dad (now deceased) was in it as an extra.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:05 am