Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:33 am

Gamers? 
Post Re: Gamers?
I'm mostly a PC gamer. I used to have a PS2--mostly for NCAA Football each year; other than that I stick to the computer.

Favorite Games

Half-Life series - Half-Life was a fun game. Half-Life 2 was a fun game that told a decent story. Half-Life 2: Episodes 1 and 2 (despite the confusing names, the first two thirds of an episodic sequel to Half-Life 2) are great stories that come in the form of incredibly entertaining games.

StarCraft - In high school, I spent more time than I care to admit playing StarCraft online--and I still sucked. Also the single player storyline was incredibly well written.

Grim Fandango - The greatest of all the Adventure games. Incredibly original story, gorgeous art design, fantastic writing, amazing humor.

World of Warcraft - I never meant to play WOW; my brother bought it for me one Christmas. Of course now I tell him he owes me money since I kept my subscription for well over a year. I was an extremely casual WOW player, not at all hardcore--not into farming materials or running dungeons over and over just to get cool outfits--and yet it still remained compulsively playable for me for the entire time I kept my subscription.

Freedom Force - The gameplay was fun but nothing incredibly special. The writing, however, was deliciously campy almost on the genius level of the 1960's Batman TV show. An incredibly fun send-up of the superhero genre. "Your evil is unwanted here!" Now that I think of it, with the right writers this would make a pretty good answer to the "Can a good movie ever be made of a video game?" question. In the hands of, say, a Joss Whedon or a Kevin Smith, a Freedom Force movie could own.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm
sheryl wrote:
My favorite RPG PS2 is Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Kingdom Hearts is also a very fun game to play.

I played Neverwinter Nights (PC game) years ago and really liked it.

I'm currently playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on PS3. It's my first PS3 game (aside from Rock Band). So far I'm enjoying it.

Currently addicted to Mario Kart Nintendo DS.

Need to see a doctor for sore thumbs...

Have you read Salvatore's work at all Sheryl? Loved the Baldur's Gate series and add ons, but mainly because you get to run into Drizzt and the gang. Also I liked the aspect that if you pad your party with conflicting alignments it causes issues which, being an old ass D&D player was nice.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 pm
Anybody else an Earthbound for life fan? I played the game originally in the 11th grade, and I think I cried a few different times throughout the ending. It's easily my favourite game of all time, and it has my favourite game ending.

They reused part of it in Mother 3(Earthbound 2), which took away some of the impact, but one-upping the ending of Earthbound would of been impossible. Plus the stories progressed differently. Earthbound felt like a world that you lived in, whereas Mother 3 felt like a series of interconnected "areas" that made up a world. That said, the storyline on the way to the ending was stronger in Mother 3.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 am
I'm mostly a PC gamer. The only online game I play (my wife would say obsessively) is 2142 Battlefield.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:04 am
munroe wrote:
Anybody else an Earthbound for life fan? I played the game originally in the 11th grade, and I think I cried a few different times throughout the ending. It's easily my favourite game of all time, and it has my favourite game ending.

They reused part of it in Mother 3(Earthbound 2), which took away some of the impact, but one-upping the ending of Earthbound would of been impossible. Plus the stories progressed differently. Earthbound felt like a world that you lived in, whereas Mother 3 felt like a series of interconnected "areas" that made up a world. That said, the storyline on the way to the ending was stronger in Mother 3.

I've tried playing Earthbound a few times but I can never finish it, I just don't get into it.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 am
Patrick wrote:
munroe wrote:

I've tried playing Earthbound a few times but I can never finish it, I just don't get into it.

It's got a really oddball sense of humour that some people don't take to. Which is fine. It fits in perfectly with my sense of humour though, hence the strong connection. There's a similar vein running through the LucasArts adventure games, and the Fallout series.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:26 pm
I'm very much into gaming these days, but only got back into after a few years absence with the release of Grand Theft Auto IV just under a year ago, at which point I got myself an Xbox 360 to play it on. I haven't looked back since, and hence my DVD collection has become largely dormant - it does pain me a bit. Having to work 40 hours a week can really get in the way sometimes!

Others games I've put a fair bit of effort into over this time are Scene It? LCA, skate., Crackdown, GRID, Guitar Hero (3 and World Tour), Dirt, Far Cry 2, Dirt, Braid, Bioshock, Dead Space and Skate 2.

Seeya,
nuxx.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:14 am
Bones wrote:
Grim Fandango - The greatest of all the Adventure games. Incredibly original story, gorgeous art design, fantastic writing, amazing humor.

Thank god someone else said it, cause otherwise i would've.

This is the game that introduced me to film noir. And i cried at the end...

Go check out the Monkey Island series. And Day of The Tentacle. And Broken Sword. And Full Throttle.

Adventure games with a really strong narrative, and sometimes, a great story.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Don't forget Willy Beamish!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:01 pm
Not much of a gamer anymore, but I go pretty much all the way back. I remember the first game I ever played, Zaxxon on a Coleco console. From there, Atari, Pitfall namely and every other good game for it. Then Nintendo: Metroid, Contra, Zelda and I remember being quite hooked on Wizards and Warriors as well. And Sega then Playstation.

These days, I'll play my nephews Wii, gamecube before that, whenever a good Action RPG comes along. Loved RE4...Prince of Persia...Mario Sunshine..Tomb Raider. Now I'm going to have to buy a PS3 or XBox for RE5.

Anyone else gonna fork over the cash for a new console so they can play that game?

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:57 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Anyone else gonna fork over the cash for a new console so they can play that game?

I've already got a PS3, but I probably won't get the game anyway. I've never gotten into Resident Evil at all, the controls have always been BRUTAL. Even in RE4, I got so frustrated with how the game plays that I put it down after 2 hours. After hearing RE5 is just a rehash of RE4's controls, I'll stay away.

KillZone is incredible though. That's a reason to buy a system right there.

Oh, and I do recommend the PS3 over the Xbox, especially if you're planning on streaming video from your computer.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 am
There are 2 games that came out years back that I wanted to purchase and play but never did, and I was wondering what you all thought about them.

XIII - with voicework by Adam West and David Duchovny

Katamari Damacy

Any thoughts?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am
Moovy1 wrote:
There are 2 games that came out years back that I wanted to purchase and play but never did, and I was wondering what you all thought about them.

Katamari Damacy

Any thoughts?

I haven't played Katamari Damacy but I have played XIII:

XIII sucks, it sucks, it sucks, it sucks and my God does it suck! This game had everything in its disposal to be awesome but drops the ball at every opportunity.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:31 pm
Moovy1 wrote:

Katamari Damacy

Any thoughts?

XIII is actually a blast in multiplayer if you have three other friends that want to come over. Reminds me of Goldeneye or TimeSplitters 2 for the amount of sheer insanity that's going on. The single player is not great though...I mean it's not AWFUL, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Katamari Damacy(the first one), is a modern masterpiece of gaming. It throws aside pretty much every gaming convention you can think of (outside of "levels"). The gameplay, artwork, soundtrack, and even the menu design is pure brilliance. I absolutely recommend you pick it up.

That said, Noby Noby Boy, the new "game" from the guy who created Katamari is equally brilliant, if not moreso. There are no objectives whatsoever. The stages are randomly generated, and the only statistic that is kept is how long your body grows. That's it. Even that doesn't award you anything. It's insanity/acid trips delivered via gaming as a medium.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 pm
ogto wrote:
Bones wrote:

Thank god someone else said it, cause otherwise i would've.

This is the game that introduced me to film noir. And i cried at the end...

Go check out the Monkey Island series. And Day of The Tentacle. And Broken Sword. And Full Throttle.

Adventure games with a really strong narrative, and sometimes, a great story.

I was actually really glad to find a copy of Grim Fandango hidden in a corner of a used electronics shop for 5 bucks! Talk about a find. I can't wait to get to playing it

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 am
munroe wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

I've already got a PS3, but I probably won't get the game anyway. I've never gotten into Resident Evil at all, the controls have always been BRUTAL. Even in RE4, I got so frustrated with how the game plays that I put it down after 2 hours. After hearing RE5 is just a rehash of RE4's controls, I'll stay away.

KillZone is incredible though. That's a reason to buy a system right there.

Oh, and I do recommend the PS3 over the Xbox, especially if you're planning on streaming video from your computer.

I'm no fanboy, but I would disagree on the PS3 recommendation. It depends what you are looking for.. if you are a techie, or are looking for a game console along with a blu-ray player, then obviously PS3 is the machine for you. When I was pondering which one to get though, the considerably cheaper price of the 360 and its more enticing (in my opinion) exclusive games convinced me. Basically Left 4 Dead, Gears of War and Halo were the main games I was interested in. But I am still dying to play Metal Gear Solid 4... dammit

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 am
Post Gears of War 2
Is the game to be played LIVE! entertaining if you like 3rd person shooters :twisted:

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Now I'm going to have to buy a PS3 or XBox for RE5.

I found the demo for RE5 to be decidedly meh. I never played RE4, though, so I don't really have any basis for comparison there. I'd try playing it somewhere before you splurge on a new console, though (unless you're really just looking for an excuse to buy a new console anyway :)).

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 pm
Talisker wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
Now I'm going to have to buy a PS3 or XBox for RE5.

I found the demo for RE5 to be decidedly meh. I never played RE4, though, so I don't really have any basis for comparison there. I'd try playing it somewhere before you splurge on a new console, though (unless you're really just looking for an excuse to buy a new console anyway :)).

Definitely. There will be myriad reviews available by the time I get around to buying it. I'm going to be splitting the cost also, 3 ways probably so the investment will be going towards more than just RE5. There's quite a few games that I'm interested in playing that aren't available for Wii.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm