Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 802  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
You should get the Iron Giant. I love that movie.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm
munroe wrote:

We do own it. It is a great movie. That Brad Bird knows his stuff. Problem is my boy got to it when he was younger. Teeth marks cause skippage.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 pm
ram1312 wrote:
munroe wrote:

We do own it. It is a great movie. That Brad Bird knows his stuff. Problem is my boy got to it when he was younger. Teeth marks cause skippage.

He teethed on the disk....poor kid's gums.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm
Watched Highlander for the first time last night.

Was enjoyable, though the effects are very dated. Soundtrack is awesome, though.

Have Max Payne & All The President's Men lined up for the weekend as well as finishing off season 1 of The Shield.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:56 pm
Vic wrote:

Was enjoyable, though the effects are very dated. Soundtrack is awesome, though.

Have Max Payne & All The President's Men lined up for the weekend as well as finishing off season 1 of The Shield.

although I wasn't as disappointed and irritated by Max Payne was most people were (it's mediocre at best and pretty bad at worst, but never truly awful), I don't think I'd recommend it to you. be sure to tell us about your opinion regarding the film after you've seen it.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:15 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Vic wrote:

although I wasn't as disappointed and irritated by Max Payne was most people were (it's mediocre at best and pretty bad at worst, but never truly awful), I don't think I'd recommend it to you. be sure to tell us about your opinion regarding the film after you've seen it.

Yeah, I'll probably be disappointed. I was a massive fan of the game. I'm not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but that game was brilliant, a work of art.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:22 pm
Vic wrote:

I love the Shield. The first season may be the best, but they are all strong, and the ending to the series was great as well.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:04 pm
In theaters: Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: Worse than I thought it would be. It wasn't even the absence of Beckinsale and Speedman - it was simply badly written, and horrendously directed.

On DVD: Downfall (Der Unterrgang): Maybe one of the best films of the 00s. Certainly one of the best WWII movies ever made. Second time I've seen it, first time was in 2005.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm
Vic wrote:
munroe wrote:
I've started RocknRolla three times now, but get so damn bored 20 minutes in that I turn it off. He completely lost the finesse he had in his first two movies. You can point out the character types that are carry overs from the first two. Oh there's Bricktop, and there's Tommy, this guy is supposed to Hatchet Harry. And the voiceover is just ridiculous.

Yeah, not a great movie.

Hi Vic,

I'd argue that Snatch was a reimagining of the excellent LS&2SB

Guy Ritchie has now directed three terrible movies back to back. He really does appear like a one trick pony. the only good think I can say about RnR is that it's not as bad as revolver or Swept Away

The amazing thing is that despite the comments from the Warner Bros exec he keeps getting funded to make new movies.

Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law are in his next movie - Sherlock Holmes. God help us

Maybe the lack of a Madonna will help the studios to turn off the cash to him in the future

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm
The DaVinci Code:

It's a mediocre combo of JFK and National Treasure but religiousfied. But what made JFK and National Treasure so memorable to me was how fearless they were, especially National Treasure. NT wasn't afraid to take huge leaps of logic that made Adam West Batman leaps of logic look logical! But DaVince Code is a bit afraid to take these leaps and it doesn't quite work. At the very least it's a tolerable timewaster, nothing more. But hey, at least Jürgen Prochnow was in it.

Also, I never read the book but if it's like the book, I would probably try to burn the book cause how much the plot sucks.

5/10

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 pm
Patrick wrote:
The DaVinci Code:

It's a mediocre combo of JFK and National Treasure but religiousfied. But what made JFK and National Treasure so memorable to me was how fearless they were, especially National Treasure. NT wasn't afraid to take huge leaps of logic that made Adam West Batman leaps of logic look logical! But DaVince Code is a bit afraid to take these leaps and it doesn't quite work. At the very least it's a tolerable timewaster, nothing more. But hey, at least Jürgen Prochnow was in it.

Also, I never read the book but if it's like the book, I would probably try to burn the book cause how much the plot sucks.

5/10

Hi Patrick

I don't know if the appreciation of this film is helped or hindered by whether you have read the book. I had not.

I was excited by the story and the cast and generally really like the films of Ron Howard. My girlfriend and I rushed out to see this, a few months later we were agreed that this was one of the most boring films we saw at the movies that year.

I just remember endless exposition interrupted by sudden jumps of senseless action thrown in to keep the plex crowd happy. At one point we looked at each other and almost left the theater. A rare event.

Now they are making a sequel.....

My kids have had me watch National Treasure multiple times. I'll soon be able to quote dialogue at this rate. It's a fun film. JFK is a classic and a wonderful example of great editing and a director with a vision. I loved it. I'll not forget seeing it in a packed theater at the then largest cinema in the world.

3/10 for me - sorry

Rob

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 am
Technically Rob, Angels and Demons is a prequel so that could mean Paul Bettany will be back for he was the best part of The DaVinci Code.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:33 am
I've been on a bit of a Lucio Fulci kick lately; as such, I just watched The House by the Cemetery, a film about a small family that moves into a mysterious, murderous house located, as you no doubt guessed, by a cemetery. Stylized gore, borderline incoherent plot, lousy acting, everything you want from a low-budget 80's Italian exploitation horror movie.

While the actors are all clearly speaking English, the dialogue is nevertheless dubbed in so badly, you feel like you're watching a badly dubbed foreign film. The actor they used for the cute little blonde kid's voice was so unbelievably terrible, I couldn't help but root for his immediate death from his very first spoken line (SPOILER: I was terribly, terribly disappointed on this count).

Despite all this, I really liked it. There's something almost dreamlike about Fulci's movies -- he clearly could care less about the logic of his stories or tying up loose ends in his plots. He throws in details which, in other director's movies, would be foreshadowing. For example: (minor spoiler) there are two or three instances where someone says to the father "But, you're already knew that, as you were here last year, with your daughter." "What? I've never been here before, and I only have a son!" Aha! Countless other movies (and novels, comic books, plays, and television) have taught us that this signifies an important plot thread that we'll follow as the story unfolds.

But for Fulci, plot isn't important -- what matters is theme, imagery, mood. Has the father actually been there before? Who cares! What's important is the uneasiness, the ominous possibilities -- it's all about the questions, not the answers. As he said in an interview, "My films are only nightmares after which you wake up relieved and relaxed. And fantastic films are liberating."

All that said, Fulci's movies are also about two minutes of a guy frantically running circles around a kitchen table as he repeatedly stabs scissors into the screechy rubber bat that's biting his hand, as corn-syrup blood spurts and covers everything in sight. Some of the effects are delightfully cheesy, some of them are more disturbingly gory.

In any event, if you make it all the way through to the, uh, opaque ending, you'll enthusiastically agree The House by the Cemetery was a nightmare.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:08 am
Patrick wrote:
The DaVinci Code

My stupid wife ruined a perfectly good nap by repeatedly elbowing me in the ribs when we saw this, just because she was worried that my snoring was annoying other theater patrons. Of all the nerve!

I give The DaVinci Code six snores out of ten!

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 am
Talisker wrote:
I've been on a bit of a Lucio Fulci kick lately; as such, I just watched The House by the Cemetery, a film about a small family that moves into a mysterious, murderous house located, as you no doubt guessed, by a cemetery. Stylized gore, borderline incoherent plot, lousy acting, everything you want from a low-budget 80's Italian exploitation horror movie.

While the actors are all clearly speaking English, the dialogue is nevertheless dubbed in so badly, you feel like you're watching a badly dubbed foreign film. The actor they used for the cute little blonde kid's voice was so unbelievably terrible, I couldn't help but root for his immediate death from his very first spoken line (SPOILER: I was terribly, terribly disappointed on this count).

Despite all this, I really liked it. There's something almost dreamlike about Fulci's movies -- he clearly could care less about the logic of his stories or tying up loose ends in his plots. He throws in details which, in other director's movies, would be foreshadowing. For example: (minor spoiler) there are two or three instances where someone says to the father "But, you're already knew that, as you were here last year, with your daughter." "What? I've never been here before, and I only have a son!" Aha! Countless other movies (and novels, comic books, plays, and television) have taught us that this signifies an important plot thread that we'll follow as the story unfolds.

But for Fulci, plot isn't important -- what matters is theme, imagery, mood. Has the father actually been there before? Who cares! What's important is the uneasiness, the ominous possibilities -- it's all about the questions, not the answers. As he said in an interview, "My films are only nightmares after which you wake up relieved and relaxed. And fantastic films are liberating."

All that said, Fulci's movies are also about two minutes of a guy frantically running circles around a kitchen table as he repeatedly stabs scissors into the screechy rubber bat that's biting his hand, as corn-syrup blood spurts and covers everything in sight. Some of the effects are delightfully cheesy, some of them are more disturbingly gory.

In any event, if you make it all the way through to the, uh, opaque ending, you'll enthusiastically agree The House by the Cemetery was a nightmare.

Talisker

Yee hah!!

I saw this at the cinema in Brussels in the early eighties. I'd never heard of the director and had no idea about the film except that the poster looked very cool.

I thought I was horror hardcore and it scared me more than most films I can ever remember. It's been a long time but I remember these corpses and some stairs.

Rob

Last edited by Robert Holloway on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:17 am
I watched the Changeling again recently.

Anybody seen this Canadian horror classic? George C Scott in an excellent role, and the film manages to scare with empty spaces and inanimate objects.

I saw it when I was 12 or 13, and I didn't sleep a wink that night. It's obviously not as scary any more, but I can still appreciate the quality ghost story told.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:19 am
munroe wrote:
I watched the Changeling again recently.

My wife's all-time favorite movie; she's been bugging me to watch it again lately. It's easily one of the best spooky-tension-ghost movies, hands down.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm
Step Up 2 The Streets

It's like Step Up but the troubled person is a chick! And Step Up 2 is inferior to Step Up in every way:

-dancing's not as fun
-Briana Evigan is not as hot as Jenna Dewan
-the story is horrible and maybe a bit racist
-there's no Heavy D in this
-the poorly placed gratuitous violence isn't as good as the first, mostly cause the first had guns and death
-inspirational speech? Come on, even the first didn't reduce itself to that.

3/10

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 pm
Patrick wrote:
Step Up 2 The Streets

-Briana Evigan is not as hot as Jenna Dewan

3/10

I thought Briana Evigan was gorgeous in this movie. Never saw the first one though.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:16 pm
Step Up 2 was allegedly directed by a guy who went to my high school. Kind of nifty.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 802  Next