Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase 

What's the best car chase?
Bullitt (1968) 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
The French Connection (1971) 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
The Road Warrior (1981) 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
I picked what I think are the all-time classics. If you feel I didn't include one that should be on the shortlist, by all means mention it in the comments.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:37 am
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
What about Ronin or Bad Boys 2?


Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:57 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Vexer wrote:
What about Ronin or Bad Boys 2?


I considered Ronin, but haven't seen it in a while. Bad Boys 2, on the other hand, I haven't seen at all.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
From the list, The French Connection.

Not from the list:
The Matrix Reloaded
The Bourne Identity


Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:26 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
I think Death Proof would like a word with you Kunz


Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:23 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
I saw French Connection again last year and the car chase stood out as it felt raw and violent and very real. It just isn't showy at all.

Rob


Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:39 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
I say The French Connection. It just feels like a car chase, not a carefully choreographed destruction spree. I was kinda meh about Bullit.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Bullitt, baby. It's the movie that invented the cars-flying-through-the-air in San Francisco car chase.


Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:46 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bullitt, baby. It's the movie that invented the cars-flying-through-the-air in San Francisco car chase.


My vote as well. It has everything you want from a car chase. Mustang. Yes. McQueen. Yes. Great San Francisco setting. Yes. Explosions. Yes.

Here, just watch it. The film itself is somewhat inconsistent, but damn this is just the best 11 minutes ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMc2RdFuOxI


Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Wow...I suck. I think I have only watched one of those listed films.

Someone a while back posted about a short film where they strapped a camera on a fast-as-shit car and drove through Paris (or something like that). What was that? Was that you Ed?


Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
ram1312 wrote:
Wow...I suck. I think I have only watched one of those listed films.

Someone a while back posted about a short film where they strapped a camera on a fast-as-shit car and drove through Paris (or something like that). What was that? Was that you Ed?


No, it wasn't. If memory serves right it was the boy wonder, Zeppelin. I've seen three of the listed films which does not include The French Connection. I doubt too many people would have seen all.


Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:54 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Wow...you're absolutely right. It was Zep and it was called C'├ętait un rendez-vous...and it wasn't even a car chase. What the hell am I doing here?


Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:23 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
A second write-in for the insane car chase that concluded Death Proof. I haven't seen Bullitt but like the trivia of one of the cars losing 5 hubcaps in the chase.


Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm
Posts: 26
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Coming out of lurk mode to put in a vote for Ronin, most specifically the Peugeot vs BMW sequence. Really a wild ride when I saw it in the theater.

Always love the French Connection, and while Bullitt is a staple, my eyes can't keep from notice that same VW bug he passes 5 times.


Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:01 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Guapo wrote:
Coming out of lurk mode to put in a vote for Ronin, most specifically the Peugeot vs BMW sequence. Really a wild ride when I saw it in the theater.

Always love the French Connection, and while Bullitt is a staple, my eyes can't keep from notice that same VW bug he passes 5 times.


Hey Pretty,

Intellectually I remember Ronin having an amazing chase (Frankenheimer FTW) but damned if I can remember anything about it. Is there a rocket launcher involved?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm
Posts: 26
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
JamesKunz wrote:
Intellectually I remember Ronin having an amazing chase (Frankenheimer FTW) but damned if I can remember anything about it. Is there a rocket launcher involved?


There are two major chases in the movie. One of them indeed involves a rocket launcher.

At the risk of violating a forum policy (please let me know), Youtube clips of both:

BMW vs Peugeot

Rocket Launcher Chase


Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Guapo wrote:

At the risk of violating a forum policy (please let me know), Youtube clips of both:

BMW vs Peugeot

Rocket Launcher Chase


You're fine...unless those videos don't work. Then you're not fine


Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
No BBII!??! Fail! :twisted:

Just kidding, though that is the best part of that movie; very impressive.

My pick is certainly The Road Warrior; that sequence is off the rails, and considering the budget...wow.


Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
Guapo wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Intellectually I remember Ronin having an amazing chase (Frankenheimer FTW) but damned if I can remember anything about it. Is there a rocket launcher involved?


There are two major chases in the movie. One of them indeed involves a rocket launcher.

At the risk of violating a forum policy (please let me know), Youtube clips of both:

BMW vs Peugeot

Rocket Launcher Chase


Seconded. The chases in Ronin elevate a decent movie into a good one. And thanks for the links. These will be fun to revisit.


Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #7: Best Movie Car Chase
The chase in Bullitt blew me away when I saw it. It's been ages since I've seen it and now it's actually the only thing I really recall from the film. Ronin would be my write in for second place as well.


Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr