Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:29 pm

TRON (1982) 
Site Admin

Post TRON (1982)
Click here for the review of TRON (1982)

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: TRON (1982)
In anticipation of the upcoming TRON...can I just say that it rocks that you reviewed this film.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 am
Agreed. TRON is one of my all-time favorites, partly fueled by nostalgia but mainly because it's still a very fun and entertaining watch. While I'm not expecting greatness from this sequel/reboot, it does have two things going for it: the return of Jeff Bridges and an updated look that is visually impressive while staying true to the original world. This has me hoping that it will be a worthwhile trip to the theater.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 am
Nice review! Too bad the movie's impossible to find - apparently Disney feels that if the kids today see it, it will seem dated and they'll lose interest in the new one, so they've pulled it from Netflix and delayed the Blu-Ray release until TRON: Legacy arrives on video. If you want to see it now and don't already own it, you have to either pay through the nose on eBay, or hunt down a copy at a local video store.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 am
Gaffer

I am so ecstatic that you have finally reviewed TRON. I've always wondered what your review of this film would be like.

TRON is still one of my favorite science fiction films. I was twelve when this film arrived at the theaters and I was totally blown away by the effects. If I remember correctly, Walter Cronkite did a feature on the CBS Evening News about the unique special effects in the film. I also remember when seeing this film at the theater the image suddenly going out, but the audio still playing for a short bit. I think that the light in the projector probably went out. I never got to see the complete Clu tank scene until it came out on video tape. Grrrr.....

I've read other reviews for TRON and some have discussed another possible aspect of the film: a religious metaphor. There are several moments in the film where programs who adhere to a belief in the users are mocked as "religious nuts." And at least one reviewer compared Flynn to a messianic character (The creator entering the world he created to liberate it from a dark oppression). The scene aboard the Recognizer with the injured RAM de-rezzing could be seen as a dying man suddenly recognizing the face of God or Christ. His faith justified. This reviewer stated that Disney may not have been willing to explore this idea any further than it did and left it primarily as subtext.

Another reviewer saw this as just a fantasy staple of a human outsider freeing an oppressed fantasy world with no religious overtones at all.

I suppose one could also view the film as a Cold War film: A powerful central government trying to suppress religion. Although that may be pushing it.

But I was wondering about what you thought of the possible religious subtext in TRON, James. It certainly sounds interesting.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:57 am
Site Admin

Jason H wrote:
Nice review! Too bad the movie's impossible to find - apparently Disney feels that if the kids today see it, it will seem dated and they'll lose interest in the new one, so they've pulled it from Netflix and delayed the Blu-Ray release until TRON: Legacy arrives on video. If you want to see it now and don't already own it, you have to either pay through the nose on eBay, or hunt down a copy at a local video store.

I own a copy of the movie on DVD, so I didn't have to go any farther than my basement to get it. :)

But I am surprised, and a little confused, that Disney didn't have big Blu-Ray/DVD special edition release a few weeks ago as a means of promoting the sequel. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to hide the film until LEGACY hits the video market. How many people who haven't seen the original in nearly 30 years might want to re-visit it before seeing installment #2?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

TheTexasTwister wrote:

Another reviewer saw this as just a fantasy staple of a human outsider freeing an oppressed fantasy world with no religious overtones at all.

I suppose one could also view the film as a Cold War film: A powerful central government trying to suppress religion. Although that may be pushing it.

But I was wondering about what you thought of the possible religious subtext in TRON, James. It certainly sounds interesting.

There is a religious angle in the film, but it's very simplistic. It's just a little touch to humanize the programs that live within cyberspace. They view their human users as divinity - it's no deeper than what STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE offers regarding V'Ger wanting to "touch the creator." In fact, one could make a case that STTMP is *more* strongly religious.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Count me among the group that was very disappointed in Tron when it first came out. I just couldn't believe that there was so much creativity and talent involved in making truly groundbreaking special effects coupled to a script that was so completely inane. In the end, it just felt like a two hour video game. I remember feeling this so strongly that I went to see it again in the theater, not because I liked it so much, but to try to resolve this contradiction. The second viewing did not improve my opinion.

I was very surprised when Disney announced they were making a sequel, but at the same time cautiously hopeful that this time they might have learned their lesson and generated a decent script. Looking forward to JB's review to see if this is true.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm
Jason H wrote:

Sounds like TRON is fair game for download on torrents. If they deny consumers the opportunity to get it legitimately, they're asking for it, right? (Not that anything as ever stopped anyone before.)

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:09 pm
Gaffer

Despite being waaay too young to see the movie when it came out, I've been a fan of this movie for both the unique look to the computer world and the incredible artistry that created it. I was lucky enough to snag the 2 disc DVD when it was widely available, but I will be first in line to upgrade when the Blu-Ray comes out (eventully).

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:53 pm
I never knew this film was so expensive on DVD, good thing my local library had a copy, anyways I found this film to be more of an interesting curiousity then anything else, I can see why people were let down by this film when it first came out, as it's a case of style over substance, hopefully Legacy has a better storyline.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm
The DVD has one of my favorite commentary tracks. The filmmakers give some great insight int the movie and are incredibly candid about both the good and the bad. You can tell they had alot of fun making the movie and are very proud of it, as much for what it was as what it foretold.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:28 am
Gaffer

Post Hello, few questions
Bit of history for you very first - C was invented inside the 70s by Dennis Ritchie, by the 80s it had become really popular and a book (known as the C programming language) was published by Ritchie and Kernighan which acted as an informal standard (known as K&R C.) Throughout the 80s ANSI were working towards a formal standard, which appeared in 1989 called C89. Some finetuning was done in 1990 along with a new standard, C90 was published.

All good - until 1999, when another version of the standard was published, called C99. Why is this a problem? Well whilst compilers implement C90, none implement the whole of the C99 standard. You, may be thinking that C99 isn't all that important then - wrong, C99 allows us to do things such as declare variables throughout the code and use the C++ (//) style comment... but whilst many compilers do support these, none promise to support all aspects of the standard. I have often wondered why.

As an aside, there is some work towards a new standard, not sure if/when it will be released though - its informally called "C1x"

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW