Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

Why does the forum crash? 
Post Why does the forum crash?
As some no doubt noticed, the forum was down for a while yesterday. Any reason why this happens? Any reason why it happens less often than it did?

I'm really curious so, please, no rude Tech Guy responses.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:18 pm
Director

Post Re: Why does the forum crash?
What about a rude non-tech guy response? I specialize in those ;)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 pm
firefly wrote:
What about a rude non-tech guy response? I specialize in those ;)

Right. I'll take anything so long as it isn't "duh. everybody knows it's because of ____________". I'd name names as to who I see posting something like that but this sentence should do the trick.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:34 pm
Director

duh. everybody knows it's because of something that I have no clue about!

[/rude non-tech guy response]

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm
Yeah...I noticed it was down. I was like a crack head trying to get another hit.

*refresh*

*refresh*

*refresh*

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm
Hi there

As I run web businesses and deal with this stuff it could be several things:

The hosting provider for James had an issue with one of their servers. Unlikely, but it does happen. I checked the main site and it was up all the time.

James had not paid his hosting fees and the site went down - unlikely as the main site was still up

Also possible that James has data limits and Major exceeded them with his excessive posting - just kidding

James or someone was doing some maintenance / upgrades and hit a snag. Unlikely, because this software is a package, not developed by James for the purpose.

One thing for sure. This is speculation.
James will know for sure.
Rob

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:00 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Yeah...I noticed it was down. I was like a crack head trying to get another hit.

*refresh*

*refresh*

*refresh*

*phew* I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who does obsessive compulsive stuff like that. :)

-Jeremy

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm
ram1312 wrote:

*refresh*

*refresh*

*refresh*

Good to know I'm not the only who does this. I may not post all the time, but whenever I can't get on the forum I always get antsy. I'm pretty sure I got on my computer more when the site was down just to check if it was up than I ever do when I know it is up. Weird, but true.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:06 pm
The anticipation of Major’s response to Robert’s “Blue Velvet” challenge became too great for the servers to handle.

You can only blue-ball those things so many times.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:32 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
The anticipation of Major’s response to Robert’s “Blue Velvet” challenge became too great for the servers to handle.

You can only blue-ball those things so many times.

Exactly what I thought, too. It took Pedro pointing out to me, not that he would know this, that my decade-old memories of Blue Velvet may not be the best thing to base an argument on that lead me to not provide that response which thus lead to the forum shorting out for a few hours. Yes, I feel a little guilty about not responding to Rob's challenge when I said I was. Sometimes The Pedro can force me to humble up and short-circuit the forum.

Do you what would help, maybe? Another admin. Patrick obviously sucks as a moderator but he'd be a whiz at keeping the forum from collapsing. Just kidding. But only about one of those two things.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:18 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

Do you what would help, maybe? Another admin. Patrick obviously sucks as a moderator but he'd be a whiz at keeping the forum from collapsing. Just kidding. But only about one of those two things.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha, shut up Major. But I PM'd James about this so we should hopefully have an answer.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm
thered47 wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

*refresh*

*refresh*

*refresh*

*phew* I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who does obsessive compulsive stuff like that. :)

-Jeremy

Me too. Wait, me three...or four. Yes it looks like I'm the fourth.

majoraphasia wrote:
As some no doubt noticed, the forum was down for a while yesterday. Any reason why this happens? Any reason why it happens less often than it did?

I'm really curious so, please, no rude Tech Guy responses.

I think the venerable (or venereal) Mr. Holloway is on the right track. It's usually some sort of "SQL error" which would mean there's some sort of database error. What causes that error? Who knows...maybe it's gremlins.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 pm
Site Admin

The problem is that the forum database becomes corrupted. I have no idea *how* that happens, but it happens from time-to-time.

The fix is for me to go in and repair the database. Not difficult to do, but I was away from home when this latest crash occurred and didn't know about the crash until I got an e-mail from Rob. I usually check the forums 2-3 times per day to make sure something like this hasn't happened but there are times when I can't do that and this was one of them.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:53 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
The problem is that the forum database becomes corrupted. I have no idea *how* that happens, but it happens from time-to-time.

The fix is for me to go in and repair the database. Not difficult to do, but I was away from home when this latest crash occurred and didn't know about the crash until I got an e-mail from Rob. I usually check the forums 2-3 times per day to make sure something like this hasn't happened but there are times when I can't do that and this was one of them.

Thanks for the reply. The how will remain a mystery... I was wondering if it could be bots. Doesn't matter as all is well.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 am
Thanks James

It's funny how much you realize you enjoy this forum when it's not there :-)

Rob

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 pm
Alien Life on earth.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm
Yay, we're back! I think I've gotten to the point where I feel empty when I can't check the forums. It's up to you whether to consider that endearing or simply pathetic.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Director

I ended up spending my forum-posting time on a different, less enjoyable forum--blah, like watching a Star Trek film instead of rewatching Serenity.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm
firefly wrote:
I ended up spending my forum-posting time on a different, less enjoyable forum--blah, like watching a Star Trek film instead of rewatching Serenity.

That could depend on the Star Trek film in question. The 2009 film wasn't too bad, for example.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm
Ha. As if you'll ever get him to renounce his devotion to that ancient religion known as Serenity.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 pm