Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:17 pm

ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) 
Site Admin

Post ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949)
Click here for the review of All the King's Men (1949)

Best Picture winner at the 1950 Oscar ceremony.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949)
I'm glad that you liked this as much as you did. I especially appreciated these points:

Quote:
The Best Actor winner, Broderick Crawford, reached the zenith of his motion picture career with this performance, which transitioned Stark from an obscure idealist into a secular preacher into the spider at the center of a toxic political web. Contrast this with Sean Penn's cartoonishly over-the-top portrayal in the 2006 edition.

Quote:
The continued relevance of the content is evident in Zaillian's decision to mount the 2006 remake. The failure of the star-studded recent interpretation casts no shadow over the success of its predecessor. The 1949 All the King's Men, with its spare script, solid acting, and uncompromising direction

Your ** star review for the remake might even be generous because the gulf between that film and the one being reviewed is massive. If anyone has seen the remake don't let that stop you from seeing the original. Sean Penn's performance was actually embarrassing to see and it's awfulness is only further highlighted when you see the original performance. It's big, it's showy, but it never slips into caricature.

This used to be a 10/10 film for me but I dropped it to a 9 based on a re-watch. Still, as JB correctly points out, the movie hasn't aged and remains extremely topical (and watchable!)

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 pm
Director

Call me crazy but I actually liked the remake. Still need to see this though.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Great review of an excellent movie I haven't seen in years. JB is right: this is a story that is just as relevant today as it was 60 years ago (perhaps even more so). Didn't see the remake, and I have no interest in it.

Broderick Crawford is an interesting story. I remember him well as a one-note character actor, playing heavies and tough cops in numerous 50's TV shows, and bit parts in B-movies. But he was born to play Willie Stark: he never remotely had a role like that before or since. The fact that he looked just like The Kingfish didn't hurt.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Call me crazy but I actually liked the remake. Still need to see this though.

OK. You are crazy. :D

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm
Director

The remake was totally unnecessary. There was nothing to improve upon, and Broderick Crawford was amazing.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:52 am