Nashville (1975) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
The Red Shoes (1948) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
The Wizard of Oz (1939) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 71

New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie 
Cinematographer

Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
My least favorite is "Mystic River" only because it is so bleak, not necessarily overated.

I'm also mostly bored by GWTW and 2001, but both have some portions I really like. Particularly Clark Gable's scenes.

I voted for "Fantasia". Having seen it both as a child and as an adult, I can say that it is my least favorite Disney production of all. Fell asleep watching the re-release in the theater. Maybe it was a marvel in 1940, but I wasn't around then.

The only movies I am actually glad to have seen on that list are "Field of Dreams", "Forrest Gump", and "The Wizard of Oz".

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
Here's the thing: A lot of effective comedy relies on acting. Here's the other thing: My 6-month-old nephew can act better than anyone in the cast of Clerks. Oh, and that pseudo-philosophical blabber near the end of it? Stick to dick jokes, Smith. Clerks wins this vote hands down for convincing anyone it was worth anything. There are films that I don't personally like where I can see how others liked them (American Beauty's smugness and pitiful ideology (because everyone knows the best way to overcome middle aged malaise is to smoke pot, work out, and fuck teenagers. You want to talk about the stupidification of America? Back off Transformers for a couple minutes and realize that this is what passed as an "intellectual" work 10 damn years ago) overpowered its significant comedic powers for me), and then there's Clerks, which has nothing but attitude going for it. Nothing.

Between Zeppelin's persuasive case against Smith and Evenflow8112's equally persuasive commentary (right here: http://philius-1987.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... tally.html) I'm almost ready to find Kevin Smith and slap him about the face and neck.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:03 pm
Now...granted, I haven't seen all of these movies (I know, shut up). The one movie that makes me say, "What was so great about that?" is Monster's Ball. Really, guys, what was so great about that?

I KNOW what you guys are gonna say...

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:39 am
ram1312 wrote:
Now...granted, I haven't seen all of these movies (I know, shut up). The one movie that makes me say, "What was so great about that?" is Monster's Ball. Really, guys, what was so great about that?

Well I won't argue with you on that one, it's not a bad film but it's hardly a film that deserved to win an Oscar, not so sure Berry deserved her Oscar win either.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 am
ram1312 wrote:

I couldn't convince myself to vote for it because, other than the award for Berry, it was respected but never so much that I felt I saw a different movie than the critics.

Vexer wrote:
[
Well I won't argue with you on that one, it's not a bad film but it's hardly
a film that deserved to win an Oscar, not so sure Berry deserved her
Oscar win either.

She was up against Renne Zelweger (Bridget Jones), Judi Dench (Iris), Nicole Kidman (Horrible Musical) and Sissy Spacek (In The Bedroom). Out of the five, Spacek did the best job in a difficult role. But Berry was far more surprising -- she did a great job in a difficult role (except for that hi-larious "Fuccccccck me!! Fucccccccccccck me!" scene... I blame the director for that) and, what's more, managed to win the award for a character that is repulsive for 50% of the movie. It was kind of non-standard Hollywood role and, all things being relative, she might have deserved the award.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:13 am
You know what though...maybe I've been swayed by the fucking media. Wasn't this the year where, "finally", African Americans were "acknowledged" by the Academy? Wasn't this also the year that Denzel Washington was awarded the Best Actor gnome for portraying a corrupt cop?

Berry gets an award for playing a character that is repulsive half of the film's running time and Washington gets one for his immoral cop persona.

I, honestly, think they have done better work, with better characters.

Maybe that's part of the reason I have qualms about Monster's Ball.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:23 am
Critic

ram1312 wrote:
You know what though...maybe I've been swayed by the fucking media. Wasn't this the year where, "finally", African Americans were "acknowledged" by the Academy? Wasn't this also the year that Denzel Washington was awarded the Best Actor gnome for portraying a corrupt cop?

Berry gets an award for playing a character that is repulsive half of the film's running time and Washington gets one for his immoral cop persona.

I think Monster's Ball is a great movie. The antithesis of standard Hollwood writing. A "romance," in a way, about two characters who don't love each other in any way but need each other in desperate ways. A movie whose progression evolves in ways that never feel contrived and have the ability to surprise the viewer. The acting is universally strong. And the ending is sublime

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:29 am
Glad I'm not alone with "Gump".

A really good movie but a heavily flawed one.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:58 pm
I first saw Gump only ~ 1 year back and saw it in the light of well over a decade of choral "overrateds" and "terribles". I liked the movie enough although, like so many others, found it cloyingly precious. Still a good movie and, like so many others on the list, time seems to have been fair.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:50 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

I think Monster's Ball is a great movie. The antithesis of standard Hollwood writing. A "romance," in a way, about two characters who don't love each other in any way but need each other in desperate ways. A movie whose progression evolves in ways that never feel contrived and have the ability to surprise the viewer. The acting is universally strong. And the ending is sublime

The Oscars are not about quality but bestowing love on fellow lovlies
Rob

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 pm
Why Halle have to let a white man pop her to get an Oscar
Why Denzel have to be crooked before he took it

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 am
majoraphasia wrote:
I first saw Gump only ~ 1 year back and saw it in the light of well over a decade of choral "overrateds" and "terribles". I liked the movie enough although, like so many others, found it cloyingly precious. Still a good movie and, like so many others on the list, time seems to have been fair.

It's funny. When Forrest Gump first came out there was major love for it's sweetness and then many of the cinematic cognoscenti turned against it. I see this happening again and again.

I showed it to my kids a few weeks ago and they loved it. Me too.

Rob

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:31 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

It's funny. When Forrest Gump first came out there was major love for it's sweetness and then many of the cinematic cognoscenti turned against it. I see this happening again and again.

I showed it to my kids a few weeks ago and they loved it. Me too.

Rob

The advantage of my position was also a disadvantage and in all fairness was able to give it the best shake I could. I tend to find movies like Gump a little annoying but generally worthwhile. I also tend to find movies like The Remains of the Day, Howards End, and The Piano to be given too free a pass. That said, Gump overstayed its welcome when the man starts running across the country. Still a good movie.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

The advantage of my position was also a disadvantage and in all fairness was able to give it the best shake I could. I tend to find movies like Gump a little annoying but generally worthwhile. I also tend to find movies like The Remains of the Day, Howards End, and The Piano to be given too free a pass. That said, Gump overstayed its welcome when the man starts running across the country. Still a good movie.

Yup. Those "quality productions" that are so clearly for your consideration do get an easy ride.
Just dunno how Gump can be the most over rated film of the last x years - oh well
Rob

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:58 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Yup. Those "quality productions" that are so clearly for your consideration do get an easy ride.
Just dunno how Gump can be the most over rated film of the last x years - oh well
Rob

It isn't the most overrated film of any period of time. Howards End is. It wasn't on the list, unfortunately.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:07 pm
Gaffer

How come The Pianist is not in the list ?

Polanski made duzine of better films , I find this film overrated considering all the prizes it won.
I am not saying that it is bad, it is just not that good .

And Polanski made duzine of better films and hasn't won anything with it.

From the list I would go with Beautiful Mind.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:39 am
Critic

SnowKing wrote:
How come The Pianist is not in the list ?

Polanski made duzine of better films , I find this film overrated considering all the prizes it won.
I am not saying that it is bad, it is just not that good .

And Polanski made duzine of better films and hasn't won anything with it.

From the list I would go with Beautiful Mind.

Well I didn't make the list, I just used it for the sake of the poll. For my money though, The Pianist is an excellent film

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 am
majoraphasia wrote:
People knock it because they filter it through B&W Nostalgia but, like It's A Wonderful Life (which I just saw for the first time), it's 10,000% more than its legacy's memory would have you believe.

I take it to mean that you liked It's a Wonderful Life, Major? :)

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:25 am
JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
People knock it because they filter it through B&W Nostalgia but, like It's A Wonderful Life (which I just saw for the first time), it's 10,000% more than its legacy's memory would have you believe.

I take it to mean that you liked It's a Wonderful Life, Major? :)

What's not to like? It had more risk than I thought it would.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:41 pm
I haven't seen all of the films on the list, but Chicago, Gump, and 2001 were my votes.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm