Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Coens. 
Post Coens.
When I think about upending conventional storytelling in a movie, I think of the Coens. Well-written, well-directed movies aren't exactly a dime a dozen and these guys have a great record of putting exactly those types of movies on screen. Say what you will about their less acclaimed movies, they're still more interesting than most of what we see today.

The Coens have imagined a litany of memorable characters, leading and supporting. Their scripts rarely run in a conventional manner, yet at the same time seem to fit within their given genres.

How about some thoughts?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 am
Post Re: Coens.
The Coens are about the only director(s) currently working, whose name alone will make me want to see the film. That being said, I was extremely disappointed by Burn After Reading. They can be hit and miss. Also, they always seem to be detached from the characters in the films and, sometimes, they're outright sadistic.

Still, in my opinion (for what it's worth), their films will be studied by future generations of film aficionados like, say, Hitchcock is studied today.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm
The Big Lebowski is my favourite movie ever, so that should detail my thoughts on the coens. I have yet to see a movie of theirs I didn't enjoy on some level, but I haven't seen them all.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm
Unke wrote:
The Coens are about the only director(s) currently working, whose name alone will make me want to see the film. That being said, I was extremely disappointed by Burn After Reading. They can be hit and miss. Also, they always seem to be detached from the characters in the films and, sometimes, they're outright sadistic.

Still, in my opinion (for what it's worth), their films will be studied by future generations of film aficionados like, say, Hitchcock is studied today.

I think the detachment works to their advantage, and it's almost a like a stamp on their movies at this point. David Lynch on the other hand...well, I would say he is way more detached and a million times more sadistic to his characters. Just by comparison.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm
munroe wrote:
The Big Lebowski is my favourite movie ever, so that should detail my thoughts on the coens. I have yet to see a movie of theirs I didn't enjoy on some level, but I haven't seen them all.

I totally agree, it's def. one of my 3 favorite movies of all time. The Big Lebowski is their best. Then probably Fargo and O Brother Where Art Thou. All of their movies, even if they're not my favorites are generally unique in some manner, which is definitely appreciated.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:23 pm
munroe wrote:

Also one of my favorties movies. I absolutely loved how they included In-N-Out in this picture. You know, a little detail but those from Southern California really appreciate it.

You ever near an In-N-Out, you need to order a Double Double...animal style.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:24 pm
The greatest directors working today.

My top 3 Coen films:

No Country For Old Men
Fargo
Barton Fink

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 pm
1. Barton Fink (a head of its time)
2. Millers Crossing (look into your heart)
3. Hudsucker Proxy (which has somehow ended up being my favorite holiday movie...suresure)
4. Raising Arizona (round is indeed funny)
5. O Brother (deep, rich, bizarre, gothic and funny - runoft)
6. Fargo (and its a beautiful day)

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:43 pm
They're the best thing going right now. I like the comparison to Hitchcock that was presented earlier. Both make films that are highly entertaining, but that can also be studied for the intellectual value. I think the screenplay to The Big Lebowski is a great example of that. The combination of the Western and Film Noir genres in that film is flat out amazing. I know it's gained a cult following, but the film is extraordinarily well done. Fargo is one of the best films ever. Barton Fink, Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona are all fantastic as well. I don't think they're the best of the modern directors.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:43 pm
I too love the Coens - but :

The Ladykillers - really their worst film
Intolerable Cruelty - seemed too self indulgent

Burn After Reading - a disappointment but not as bad as the above

Rob

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm
Far and away my fav Coen Brother movie was The Hudsucker Proxy. O' Brother second and Millers Crossing is a close third.

The Coens had fallen off in recent years. Their deadly 3 some were The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty & The Man Who Wasn't There.

Previous to those 3, however, Blood Simple, Arizona, MC, Barton, Hud, Fargo & O' Brother are all genius, in my book. The only bump in the road was The Big Lebowski, though I have to say I do still watch it on occasion. Lebowski was high concept, low materialization. Its just not that interesting, and I smoked pot for MANY years.

Of course, I also thought Pineapple Express was terrible, so maybe I am officially middle aged now. (For the record, 40yo Virgin & Knocked Up, GREAT. Superbad & PE, awful.)

No Country & Burn were great comebacks, IMO, after the deadly 3some.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:57 pm
In some ways the Coens only ever make one film: 'Dimwitted character(s) get in over their heads', yet somehow they manage to make each film special. Even their worst films (the Ladykillers remake is the worst I've seen from them) have some interesting elements that I like. I love that they don't have a commercial bone in their body.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
I too love the Coens - but :

The Ladykillers - really their worst film
Intolerable Cruelty - seemed too self indulgent

Burn After Reading - a disappointment but not as bad as the above

Rob

I loved Intolerable Cruelty, a lot of fun.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:45 pm
Miller's Crossing is one of my favorite movies of all time; the assassination sequence is probably my favorite scene of the last twenty years.

Hudsucker Proxy is criminally underrated.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:47 pm
I also learned how to shave properly from Miller's Crossing.

"Ya put the razor in cold water, not hot because metal does what in cold? It contracts. that way you get a first class shave."

Its stuck with me since I saw it in the theaters, still do it today...

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 pm
oooh here we go.

burn after reading = overrated
miller's crossing = underrated
no country for old men = not all was made out to be
fargo = everything it was made out to be, and more.

they're inconsistent for me.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 am
Oh man am I the opposite of most on here.

Burn After Reading - love it
No Country - great
Fargo - decent
O Brother - decent

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:42 am
I recently watched The Big Lebowski, my first Coen movie.

It was a quirky comedy with some nice dialogue and interesting characters. I remain to be convinced of their greatness.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:25 am
I've seen the following movies: No Country For Old Men, Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, The Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Hudsucker Proxy, and Raising Arizona. Basically everything except the more commercial films and Blood Simple. I either like or love everything I've seen, Raising Arizona aside. I'm obviously a big fan of No Country, and Barton Fink might still be in my top 100. Fargo wasn't as good the second time I watched it, but that's okay.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm
Right. I'm going to watch Fargo tonight. Will report back...

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm