Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 pm

The Future 
Director

Post The Future
If you could be cryogenically frozen, ala any number of film characters, and awakened sometime in the future, would you be? How long would you want to wait? 50 years? 100? 500?

And, what do you think the future (pick a time period to make it less of an abstraction) will be like? What movie has it closest?

I'm of course hoping that in 500 years we will have colonized another solar system and will be traveling about in a variety of spacecrafts while speaking a hybrid throwback dialect infused with some Mandarin.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm
Post Re: The Future
firefly wrote:
If you could be cryogenically frozen, ala any number of film characters, and awakened sometime in the future, would you be? How long would you want to wait? 50 years? 100? 500?

And, what do you think the future (pick a time period to make it less of an abstraction) will be like? What movie has it closest?

I'm of course hoping that in 500 years we will have colonized another solar system and will be traveling about in a variety of spacecrafts while speaking a hybrid throwback dialect infused with some Mandarin.

If you'd asked me a coupla years ago, I'd have said like 500 years.

Now?

I don't know. I don't think I would be. I wouldn't want to just leave everyone behind and end up outliving them, y'know?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:17 pm
With change occurring so fast and getting faster, 50 would be more than enough.
Rob

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 am
It doesn't matter how many years I choose: 5-25-50-500... the Cubs STILL will not have won a World Series. :evil:

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 am
... and Arsene Wenger will still be playing pretty and winning little :-(

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:35 am
Interesting question. I wouldn't like to be frozen but only because I'm not interested in leaving everyone I know behind. On the other hand I'm very curious about things like this and love speculating.

I think I've mentioned once or twice that my take on the future is more or less the same as the ending in A.I. You know, humanity has disappeared and its place has been taken by silicon based "life" forms.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:17 pm
I'm going with Rob's answer. If you're hoping for anything remotely recognizable, 50 years is a huge leap. Beyond that, you will likely be hopelessly disoriented, frightened, and culture-shocked.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
I'm going with Rob's answer. If you're hoping for anything remotely recognizable, 50 years is a huge leap. Beyond that, you will likely be hopelessly disoriented, frightened, and culture-shocked.

So does that mean that you think that culture change will accelerate alongside technological change? Because I think that if someone would've been frozen in 1960, they wouldn't be all that disoriented in 2010. There's a fairly substantial change in terms of communication technology, but is society really all that different? We travel from place to place in cars. We watch tv at night and go to the movies. Etc.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:12 pm
Women are still routinely relegated to secretarial positions in the workplace, black people are still systematically discouraged from voting, and computers are still the size of the room and can perform hundreds of calculations per minute. Hell, we still haven't been to the moon yet.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Women are still routinely relegated to secretarial positions in the workplace, black people are still systematically discouraged from voting, and computers are still the size of the room and can perform hundreds of calculations per minute. Hell, we still haven't been to the moon yet.

Hey depending on where you're at in the country that might still be the case ;)

Those are changes sure, but disorienting ones? "Oh snaps, blacks can actually vote and there's a black president!" might be a surprise but I can't imagine it'd leave someone confounded for all that long.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:31 pm
firefly wrote:
Ken wrote:

Hey depending on where you're at in the country that might still be the case ;)

Those are changes sure, but disorienting ones? "Oh snaps, blacks can actually vote and there's a black president!" might be a surprise but I can't imagine it'd leave someone confounded for all that long.

Depends on where they were raised. Though honestly, seeing black people as equals is going to take some time I would think.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 am
Imagine what you would think if the last movie you watched before you were frozen was the original The Day the Earth Stood Still...then you woke up and went to see Avatar in IMAX 3-D! Would you think it was real? Could you even handle it?

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:52 am
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Imagine what you would think if the last movie you watched before you were frozen was the original The Day the Earth Stood Still...then you woke up and went to see Avatar in IMAX 3-D! Would you think it was real? Could you even handle it?

I'd say that's not as big of a deal as when people first saw that weird thing called a motion picture.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am
firefly wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I'd say that's not as big of a deal as when people first saw that weird thing called a motion picture.

No way man... I think it would blow someone's mind. But even so, think about Issac Newton (i mean of course we could keep going back farther, but i figure I stop at newton since his work still governs our world) waking up in 2010 and going to see Avatar in Imax 3-D? What would he think?

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:01 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
firefly wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

No way man... I think it would blow someone's mind. But even so, think about Issac Newton (i mean of course we could keep going back farther, but i figure I stop at newton since his work still governs our world) waking up in 2010 and going to see Avatar in Imax 3-D? What would he think?

He would probably wonder what country Jake Sully is supposed to be from, to start.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
firefly wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I agree that it would be disorienting for, say, someone in 1800 to see Avatar. But I think this would be temporary.

Back when I worked as a tutor at a community college, I heard about a student who was an immigrant from Zambia. She'd never seen a computer before in her life before coming to America. I'm assuming she hadn't seen a tv either. Imagine how disorienting the internet was for her. But it passed pretty quickly.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:58 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

There was a report out a little while ago saying that someone born 20-30 years from now will live to be 1,000 years old. Personally i would love to live to 100 just to accomplish something.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 pm
Second Unit Director

The movie which I think has the closest model to our future, that is already starting to form and could be realized in the next 20 years...is

Minority Report. (Albeit without 3 bald babes that can predict the future).

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
The movie which I think has the closest model to our future, that is already starting to form and could be realized in the next 20 years...is

Minority Report. (Albeit without 3 bald babes that can predict the future).

Well just 2 bald babes and 1 bald dude

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:26 pm
Producer

Haha, I wasn't going to be the one to say it.

1,000 years seems a bit far out there. I can believe 100 years, but aging is a result of the decaying of telomeres, which is a process that will have to be arrested or reversed before we can make any serious headway into extending our lives indefinitely.

And it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing if we did, considering the strain on our resources it would be if we keep popping out kids at the current rate, but stop dying off at the same time.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:30 pm