Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The importance of being Oscar 
Post Re: The importance of being Oscar
you have no idea of how much I want to see Gran Torino. saw the trailer on Monday before Benjamin Button and swore to my girlfriend that we are going to see the film whatever happens.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:03 am
Sebastian wrote:
you have no idea of how much I want to see Gran Torino. saw the trailer on Monday before Benjamin Button and swore to my girlfriend that we are going to see the film whatever happens.

Sebastian
It's really good and you'll love reacquainting with Dirty Harry at nearly 80 :-)
Don't read too many reviews though - there may be spoilers
Have fun
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:11 am
I wrote a related post in the ReelThoughts section concerning the song thing, the TDK thing, the Wall-E thing, and The Wrestler snubs. (Peter Gabriel all the way)

My top 5 of the year? In no particular order (with the exception of Wall-E): Wall-E, The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, and a toss up between In Bruges, Waltz with Bashir, Let the Right One In, and Revolutionary Road.

Oh, and talk about a snub... Let the Right One In NOT nominated for foreign language film??? Ugh.

Not to mention Waltz not being nominated for the dumb and degrading category of Best Animated Film.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 am
Joseph wrote:
I wrote a related post in the ReelThoughts section concerning the song thing, the TDK thing, the Wall-E thing, and The Wrestler snubs. (Peter Gabriel all the way)

My top 5 of the year? In no particular order (with the exception of Wall-E): Wall-E, The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, and a toss up between In Bruges, Waltz with Bashir, Let the Right One In, and Revolutionary Road.

Oh, and talk about a snub... Let the Right One In NOT nominated for foreign language film??? Ugh.

Not to mention Waltz not being nominated for the dumb and degrading category of Best Animated Film.

That's because nobody in Hollywood has seen it
let the Right One In is a film fans film
Stupid, yeah. I know :-(

I heard that waltz was barred from animation because it was in foreign film
Stupid, yeah. I know :-(
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 am
I'm actually sort of glad Waltz was barred from animated film; it would've lost to Wall-E. Since it's nominated as a foreign film, there's a big chance it'll win in its catagory, which would be fantastic.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:17 am
I wonder if it will lose to The Class. It won the Palme D'Or, though I suppose that doesn't mean anything. I have yet to see both films (seeing Waltz this weekend hopefully), so I can't judge or even predict since it's something of a toss-up. I guess Waltz seems like frontrunner, though.

I'm also annoyed about Let the Right One In. It's a film that's grown on me a lot over the past few months. Sweden should have picked that instead of Everlasting Moments, which didn't end up being nominated! Blargh.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 am
Joseph wrote:
...and a toss up between In Bruges...

In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite films of last year. You have no idea how pleasantly surprised I was when its Best Original Screenplay nom was announced. I remember the first time I saw it with some friends (I'd only seen it alone before), some of them loved it and laughed at its incredible dialogue, others thought it was weird, and others hated it...

me? I love every second of it, and if it doesn't win Best Original Screenplay, I'll be angry, heh.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:33 am
Let the Right One In is a prefect reason why foreign language films should be allowed to be nominated for best picture. It affected me a lot more than any of the nominated best pick flicks, and I think it has one of the most satisfying endings in the last few years.

It's also downright creepy when you start to think about it. It's a repeat viewing film for sure.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm
I'd actually like to see Frozen River win Original Screenplay. That is an underrated film - strange since it does have cross-over appeal for both critics and everyday movie watchers.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 pm
Site Admin

munroe wrote:
Let the Right One In is a prefect reason why foreign language films should be allowed to be nominated for best picture. It affected me a lot more than any of the nominated best pick flicks, and I think it has one of the most satisfying endings in the last few years.

It's also downright creepy when you start to think about it. It's a repeat viewing film for sure.

There's a pressing need to eliminated the antiquated rule of having a country pick its selection for potential Foreign Film nomination. That makes no sense. What if the best three or four films all came from the same country. The field needs to be widened. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN was never even under consideration.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN was never even under consideration.

And that's a tragedy. I read somewhere that it was a small unheard of film even in Sweden, which is why it wasn't nominated there.

Of course they're redoing it in English, so everyone will see that version. I hear they're redoing 13 Tzameti as well...which makes me sad.

I wish they'd just re-release the originals to a wider audience.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:10 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN was never even under consideration.

fellas, you're all missing somethin. let the right one in didn't make the cut off date. foriegn films have it in like september i think. not sure about the dates. so it will compete NEXT YEAR.

knew id read it somewhere. can't find that article but here's another: http://movies.ign.com/articles/944/944855p1.html

THERE IS HOPE!!!

now elect me president. :lol:

i know, cheap joke. :shakes head:

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 pm
TDK did receive eight nominations. That's a lot if you ask me. I knew it wouldn't get the best picture nod, but I really expected either Nolan or Aronofsky to be one of those directors to be nominated without their films. The Reader was a good enough film, which wasn't good enough to best best picture nominee material...but then again, neither was Chocolat or Gosford Park or Seabiscuit or Finding Neverland.

Nearly every year, there's usually 1 film that we all know is the biggest loser of the lot. The Reader is it this year.

Frankly, I love the Oscars..even watching all the technical wins. (I don't sit through the short-film categories).

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm
found it. just needed wikipedia.

"The eligibility period for the Foreign Language Film category differs from that required for most other categories: the awards year defined for the Foreign Language Film category usually begins and ends before the ordinary awards year, which corresponds to an exact calendar year. For the 80th Academy Awards, for instance, the release deadline for the Foreign Language Film category has been set on September 30, 2007, whereas the qualifying run for most other categories extends till December 31, 2007."

let the right one in release date in sweden : 24 October 2008

aaaHAAAaaa!!!!!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2