It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:28 pm

November 12, 2010: "Michael at Six (Months)" 
Site Admin

Post November 12, 2010: "Michael at Six (Months)"
Click here to read topic.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: November 12, 2010: "Michael at Six (Months)"
A flesh-and-blood product of Reelviews...

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:20 pm
Seriously one of the best pieces of writing I've read in a long time, and a subject that is constantly crossing my mind as I transition from being a teenager to an adult. Well done.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:23 pm
Chuckles knowingly.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:25 pm
Baby pics and stories make me hormonal. Tick-tock goes the clock!

And indeed the clocks starts ticking noticeably faster between 30 and 40. The mortality thing hits home. It isn't just the context of children (although I can imagine) that makes life suddenly seem on fast forward.

That was a lovely, excellent (and sobering) post. Thanks for sharing.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Well unlike most kids, I was never in any hurry to grow up, I was perfectly content to live in the moment and enjoy that time while it lasted, though to be honest most of my childhood was one big blur to me, I barely remember anything about my early years. I also have a prominent death on my mind, my cousin Jackie died in September 2004(I don't remember the exact date) a little over 6 years ago, but it still seems like only yesterday I was talking to her, it's still hard to accept that she's gone :(

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 pm
My children are 6 and 8 years old. A preview of an upcoming release :)

1. You will have time for one serious hobby. All else becomes irrelevant and impossible.

Do not despair at this. You will realize how inane many of your past hobbies were and you will wonder why you spent so much time on them. What will also occur, at least for me, is increased focus on what it is you do in your spare time, because you are keenly aware that your time is limited. For instance, my one serious hobby is tennis and I am immeasurably better now as a result of my children. I know my time on the practice court is limited, therefore I approach the practice court with a rigor I never had before.

I will add though, that with only one child you may have time for two hobbies. Just depends on how busy your child is in extracurricular activities.

I'll wrap up with this quote from the original Superman movie, as spoken by Marlon Brando:

Quote:
You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:34 pm
Great essay, Mr. B, your best one yet. You're just getting better with age. :D

I'm sure you've heard the pop psychology reason why as we age, we feel time moving faster. When we're ten years old, we've only experienced ten years of living, so the passing of a single year is 0.1 of our life experience, a significant chunk. When we're 40, it's 1/40th. You're absolutely right -- when we're 80 (if we're "lucky" enough to make it that far, that is), Easter and Christmas are gonna feel like they're back to back.

- Sung

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 pm
Assistant Director

Great post, but is this going to chang what you think is appropriate for kids to watch in terms of sex vs violence?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Really enjoyed this piece. Thanks for sharing. :)

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:34 pm
Director

Reading this article has made me think about the time that has passed me by. I can remember being in my room watching tv or outside with my friends playing hide and seek. Now, I'm a sophomore in college preparing to venture forth in the business world. The times sure are changing.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:11 pm
Profile YIM
Gaffer

It's funny to realize the passage of time. It seems like yesterday that I stumbled on to this site by accident.... Oh right, that was in 1997 when I was a Freshman, not in my 30's with a career and a mortgage.... :)

Great ReelThought entry.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:23 am
Excellent essay, James, as always. The only comment I'll make
is that I trust you'll remember to give your lovely wife as much
of your time as possible, because even more than your beautiful
son, she is the center of your life. Enjoy yourselves!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 pm
MinnJD wrote:
It's funny to realize the passage of time. It seems like yesterday that I stumbled on to this site by accident.... Oh right, that was in 1997 when I was a Freshman, not in my 30's with a career and a mortgage.... :)

Great ReelThought entry.

It's good that you can put a smile rather than a sad face right after saying that you have a mortgage!

Incidentally, welcome and great signature. One of my favourite Apatow lines.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:41 pm
That was an excellent bit of writing, James. I hope well for you and your family through the years.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:52 pm
Director

It's hard to imagine it now, but in only eight-and-a-half years, he'll be able to produce a movie as good as, and probably better, than Skyline.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's hard to imagine it now, but in only eight-and-a-half years, he'll be able to produce a movie as good as, and probably better, than Skyline.

Produce? Is Michael going to be a multi-millionaire at age 9? I didn't know JB was that loaded. ;)

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 pm
sheryl wrote:
Really enjoyed this piece. Thanks for sharing. :)

It's all news to you I guess - Hmmmm :-)
Parenthood is the best.
Time means nothing until you wake up and realize it's a limited and ebbing resource
Congrats
Rob

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:18 pm
I have a ten month old - your thoughts echo things that have gone through my own head [change the Reelviews focus to setting up a Massage Therapy business]... People call it an exhilarating time, I'd like to substitute terror for exhilaration [and I wouldn't change it for a minute].

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Produce? Is Michael going to be a multi-millionaire at age 9? I didn't know JB was that loaded. ;)

Yeah, with the speed of technology change kids will be producing movies in 9 years :-)

Both my kids want iPod Touches for 720p movies for xmas. We already have mac's and iMovie in da house

Rob

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:35 pm