Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
October 31, 2010: "The True Day of Horror" 
Post Re: October 31, 2010: "The True Day of Horror"
firefly wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Isn't all this back and forth exhausting? I think every country should implement some form of proportional representation because it's the only way that every vote truly counts. The system in the USA (and over here) makes it impossible for more than two parties to ever be relevant so I can understand the disillusionment of JB and others. To those who don't vote: would you cast a ballot under a PO system?

I don't know if the US could function as a parliamentary state. There's one geographically large and diverse parliamentary state (admittedly, much larger and more diverse than the US): India. And Indian politics are heavily, heavily regional--many candidates run on explicitly regional party platforms, essentially promising a spoils system. I think the US would be the same way, because we already have many members of congress (Patty Murray, Barbara Boxer, Lisa Murkowski, etc.) who are typical patronage politicians--vote for me and I'll bring home tons of pork, screw the rest of the country.

I'm no social scientist but why would a country that adopts PO automatically become a parliamentary state? To my knowledge one has little to do with the other.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
firefly wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Isn't all this back and forth exhausting? I think every country should implement some form of proportional representation because it's the only way that every vote truly counts. The system in the USA (and over here) makes it impossible for more than two parties to ever be relevant so I can understand the disillusionment of JB and others. To those who don't vote: would you cast a ballot under a PO system?

I don't know if the US could function as a parliamentary state. There's one geographically large and diverse parliamentary state (admittedly, much larger and more diverse than the US): India. And Indian politics are heavily, heavily regional--many candidates run on explicitly regional party platforms, essentially promising a spoils system. I think the US would be the same way, because we already have many members of congress (Patty Murray, Barbara Boxer, Lisa Murkowski, etc.) who are typical patronage politicians--vote for me and I'll bring home tons of pork, screw the rest of the country.

I'm no social scientist but why would a country that adopts PO automatically become a parliamentary state? To my knowledge one has little to do with the other.

You can have PO without a parliamentary system but to me that doesn't make much sense.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:37 pm
firefly, i just hope your an anti-prohibitionist. if not i lose all faith in humanity.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:
firefly, i just hope your an anti-prohibitionist. if not i lose all faith in humanity.

That is, more than I already have.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:49 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:

I think that virtually all Americans are anti-prohibitionist :p

For that matter, I'd favor decriminalizing marijuana and probably a few other drugs. Not that I'd ever use them--I don't even drink or smoke--but I think the govt should concentrate on other things (like shrinking itself).

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7