Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:34 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures 

Worst Best Picture
Gladiator (2000) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
A Beautiful Mind (2001) 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Chicago (2002) 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Return of the King (2003) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Million Dollar Baby (2004) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Crash (2005*) 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
The Departed (2006) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No Country for Old Men (2007) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Slumdog Millionaire (2008) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
The Hurt Locker (2009*) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 35

New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7476
Location: Easton, MD
Post New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
First we did the best, now let's vote on the worst.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:27 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Beautiful mind, boring, boring, boring, BORING!


Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:30 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Hard to pick really, Chicago is just mind-blowingly boring, with some of the least-inspired musicalnumber sof all time, Crash is heavy-handed and very off-putting , but Gladiator is the worst of them all, uninvolving, overlong, overrated, overblown, etc Plus it's responsible for the glut of all those crappy historical epic films like Alexander, Troy, King Arthur, Kingdom Of Heaven, etc.


Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:53 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Chicago was my vote. It was well-acted but irritating, ultimately meaningless junk food.


Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:26 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7476
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
majoraphasia wrote:
Chicago was my vote. It was well-acted but irritating, ultimately meaningless junk food.


Chicago is mine as well. The first 3 choices up there are really pretty weak, but Chicago was the weakest

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
I chose Slumdog Millionaire because it was obnoxious and no more special than any other melodrama.


Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Crash is so bad it's actually good. It's almost like a car crash: you can't look away.

The Departed was just boring, though. I still voted for Crash, but I'd rather watch that again than have to sit through Scorsese on autopilot a second time.


Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:46 pm
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2233
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Gladiator - 9/10
A Beautiful Mind - 8/10
Chicago - 9/10
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 10/10
Million Dollar Baby - 7/10
Crash - 8/10
The Departed - 9/10
No Country for Old Men - 8/10
Slumdog Millionaire - n/a
The Hurt Locker - 7/10


So my least favorite would Million Dollar Baby. It's pretty good. Just not oscar worthy IMO.

Still need to see Slumdog.


Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:18 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Does this not show how dreadful best picture winners generally are.

I'm sorry - but even the finale of LOTR was cringeworthy and self indulgent - get on the effin boat!

The nominees are:

Chicago - 7/10
Crash - 7/10
The Departed - 8/10

and the vote goes to.......
Chicago

Rob


Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:36 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Robert Holloway wrote:
Does this not show how dreadful best picture winners generally are.

I'm sorry - but even the finale of LOTR was cringeworthy and self indulgent - get on the effin boat!

The nominees are:

Chicago - 7/10
Crash - 7/10
The Departed - 8/10

and the vote goes to.......
Chicago

Rob

Dreadful? How? If I had the choice to sit through Chicago/Crash or the latest Saw film... well, I wouldn't pick the film that's actually dreadful.

Let's not overextend our hyperbole, though I know how fun it is to rag on the Oscars for being silly. :)


Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:42 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Vexer wrote:
but Gladiator is the worst of them all, uninvolving, overlong, overrated, overblown, etc Plus it's responsible for the glut of all those crappy historical epic films like Alexander, Troy, King Arthur, Kingdom Of Heaven, etc.


Ah, Vex, you said everything I Iwas plannng on saying. I hate this film.


Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Does this not show how dreadful best picture winners generally are.

I'm sorry - but even the finale of LOTR was cringeworthy and self indulgent - get on the effin boat!

The nominees are:

Chicago - 7/10
Crash - 7/10
The Departed - 8/10

and the vote goes to.......
Chicago

Rob

Dreadful? How? If I had the choice to sit through Chicago/Crash or the latest Saw film... well, I wouldn't pick the film that's actually dreadful.

Let's not overextend our hyperbole, though I know how fun it is to rag on the Oscars for being silly. :)



Hi Pedro

The Oscars pretend to represent the best that cinema had tto offer in that year

They don't

They essentially represent the best that overweight dull over paid stars and execs saw that year

Time and again i see 10 films that are better than the "best film"

So I stand by my comments - as a barometer of awesome quality they are dreadful.

But i agree that if you take the bigger picture, they are good.

Rob


Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
I agree with Rob, it's pretty rare for me to like best picture nominees as roughly 75% of them are mediocre and try to force feed us pretentious crap. I'll gladly watch pretty much any low-brow comedy, cheap horror film, or mindless action film over most of the Oscar nominated films we got nowadays.


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:10 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
My vote goes to Slumdog Millionaire. It was good but to me it felt like a warmed-over, Indian version of City of God crossed with a somewhat predictable love story. The best movie of that year wasn't even nominated in that category and by now I don't think I need to tell anyone on this thread what film that was. Sadly, there are still several Best Picture winners from the 90's forward that I haven't seen yet.


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
oafolay wrote:
The best movie of that year wasn't even nominated in that category and by now I don't think I need to tell anyone on this thread what film that was.


You certainly don't and I'm pleased to let you know that I completely agree: My Winnipeg truly was the best picture of 2008.


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
majoraphasia wrote:
oafolay wrote:
The best movie of that year wasn't even nominated in that category and by now I don't think I need to tell anyone on this thread what film that was.


You certainly don't and I'm pleased to let you know that I completely agree: My Winnipeg truly was the best picture of 2008.



It's strange how "My Winnipeg" has stuck with me way more than most that year
Rob


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
oafolay wrote:
The best movie of that year wasn't even nominated in that category and by now I don't think I need to tell anyone on this thread what film that was.


You certainly don't and I'm pleased to let you know that I completely agree: My Winnipeg truly was the best picture of 2008.



It's strange how "My Winnipeg" has stuck with me way more than most that year
Rob


And just think: 0.000001% of the people that loved The Dark Knight actually saw My Winnipeg.


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
majoraphasia wrote:
And just think: 0.000001% of the people that loved The Dark Knight actually saw My Winnipeg.


Guess I'll have to add this My Winnipeg to my list of films to check out!


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
oafolay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
And just think: 0.000001% of the people that loved The Dark Knight actually saw My Winnipeg.


Guess I'll have to add this My Winnipeg to my list of films to check out!


Everyone should!


Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #4: Worst of the Last 10 Best Pictures
Chicago. But then, I haven't seen it and never intend to. It's a musical, what other proof do I need that it sucks? And no, I didn't vote for it. I wanted to but went with the decent but terribly overrated Crash. Not Best Picture material. It's not even the best picture called "Crash"!


Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:28 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr