Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:29 am

October 15, 2010: "Just a Little Crush" 
Gaffer

Post Re: October 15, 2010: "Just a Little Crush"
Long before Kevin Smith discovered it on US TV reruns, us Canadian kids were hooked on first-run Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High. Two things I remember: everybody watched these shows, and nobody admitted to watching these shows.

And through the Junior High years (which coincided with my own junior high years), I had a major crush on Spike, the punk rockeresque teenage mom. Not sure why, and it died out by the high school years, but I can even recall looking up the actress in the phone book (not knowing what I'd even do with that info)

If there was a runner-up, I'd say it was Alyssa Milano in her Who's the Boss? years.

And I concur with others on here: Christina Hendricks is my modern day TV crush.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:19 pm
Director

Spek1 wrote:
Long before Kevin Smith discovered it on US TV reruns, us Canadian kids were hooked on first-run Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High. Two things I remember: everybody watched these shows, and nobody admitted to watching these shows.

And through the Junior High years (which coincided with my own junior high years), I had a major crush on Spike, the punk rockeresque teenage mom. Not sure why, and it died out by the high school years, but I can even recall looking up the actress in the phone book (not knowing what I'd even do with that info)

If there was a runner-up, I'd say it was Alyssa Milano in her Who's the Boss? years.

And I concur with others on here: Christina Hendricks is my modern day TV crush.

Have you seen her appearances on Firefly?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 pm
"Also, perhaps strangely, there was never a Star Trek or Doctor Who woman who captured my fancy. Then again, neither show was a hotbed of attractive women."

Not even Sherry Jackson, Jill Ireland, Louise Sorel or the young Joan Collins? Her Edith is a large part of why "The City On The Edge Of Forever" is as good as it is.

As for "Doctor Who", James, you're probably right. It was only when the Russell T. Davies era began that we began to be spoilt with good-looking women - Billie Piper, Carey Mulligan (with long hair) and later Karen Gillan.

For earliest TV and film crushes, let's see... Juliana Donald from "The Muppets Take Manhattan", which I first saw when I was six. (I have a thing for "cute" girls, but it's only now I realise how thin she is.) Erin Gray, of course. When I lived in Reagan's America as a child, "Buck Rogers" got so many re-runs that it, and she, for that matter, was inescapable.

By the time the '80's ended and the '90's came around, I was back in the UK, and the good-looking women I did notice on TV were mainly those who appeared on gameshows. Real-life crushes only properly began to hit when I was 12 or 13. But even then, TV and film women still caught my eye... like Debbe Dunning in Series 3 of "Home Improvement", Jennifer Aniston in the first season of "Friends" and Sandra Bullock in "Speed".

Nowadays, popular UK comedy "The Inbetweeners" is a good source of attractive women. Check out Emily Head (daughter of Anthony), Emily Atack and Hannah (sister of Kara) Tointon on the IMDB, and you'll see what I mean.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:26 am
Lindsay Weir.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm
I agree with Si-80 about Emily Head. Beautiful. I guess she's Simon's love-interest for a reason, eh? Fellow Americans, for a reasonable source of attractive women, as well as a pretty good, extremely foul-mouthed show, check out the Inbetweeners on BBC America.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:53 pm
The first crush I can remember is the Princess from The Neverending Story (and I was the same age as Bastien back then, so nothing weird there).

Then there was Sandra Bullock in Speed and Cameron Diaz in The Mask (before she became a stick figure)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 am
Early, school-boy crushes on Susan Dey, Ann-Margret, Connie Stevens... and Dean Martin's Golddiggers.

And I crushed on Claire Danes in "My So-Called Life".

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:40 pm
reelvwr559 wrote:
I agree with Si-80 about Emily Head. Beautiful. I guess she's Simon's love-interest for a reason, eh? Fellow Americans, for a reasonable source of attractive women, as well as a pretty good, extremely foul-mouthed show, check out the Inbetweeners on BBC America.

I'm glad that you lot get The Inbetweeners! It kind of went off the boil a little towards the end of its third season, but it was still good.

Forgot to add... for a hot, mature woman on the show, check out Belinda Stewart-Wilson, who plays Will's mother.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 am
Jane Seymour - "Somewhere in Time", COMPLETELY solidified when she was in "Head Office"

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:23 pm
Winnie Cooper. (She's older than me, so I promise nothing skeezy)

Re: Christina Hendricks.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:05 pm
Now that I think about it, I might've had a slight crush on Amanda Bynes and Lindsay Lohan when i was younger.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:08 pm
Drake is the best thing to ever come out of degrassi. But anyway, I have a minor man crush on leo dicaprio. No homo.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 pm
Is a 45yo guy allowed to have a crush on Lindsay Lohan as well?

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Is a 45yo guy allowed to have a crush on Lindsay Lohan as well?

Well that depends, was she underrage at the time you had a crush on her? ;)

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm
Vexer wrote:
Well that depends, was she underrage at the time you had a crush on her? ;)

Is she truly "of age" now? ;)

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 am