Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 pm

October 18, 2010: "Winning through Losing" 
Post Re: October 18, 2010: "Winning through Losing"
KRoss wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:
I don't understand why it's inevitable that the Phillies are going to go back to being a mediocre team. They have a huge market and a big payroll.

Far too much talk about market and payroll when it comes to baseball. You never hear about this in the other sports (probably because everyone except MLB has some form of salary cap). The Mets, Cubs, Red Sox, and Angels fit the "big market and payroll" description as well as any (I'm not counting the Dodgers right now because of the enormous damage the McCourt drama is causing) but all missed the playoffs this year.

Obviously money and statistics are a huge deal in this sport, but you know what counts more than anything else? Chemistry. 162 games (plus up to 1 month of postseason should you get there) is quite a grind, and the teams that work together the best usually perform the best.

But as I pointed out in my comment, I am a Red Sox fan. And while I don't expect them to make the playoffs every single year, I never expect them to be a bad team. Under the current ownership/management, Red Sox fans always expect to have a good team Always. I don't see them falling apart any time soon.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:
And lastly, any sport that has it's final game as the world series is to be honest, laughable.

Keep in mind that the term "World Series" was coined in 1884 and was officially adopted as the name of the post-season standoff between the National League and the American League in 1903. Back in those days, baseball was pretty much exclusive to the United States so pitting the best baseball teams from the United States against each other was in fact a World Series. The name never changed even though global circumstances did.

Of course, there's still a problem with having called this the World Series in 1903, because the Negro Leagues were not recognized and a case could be made that, during certain years, the Negro League champions were superior to the WS champions. But that's another issue and is related to the whole slavery/segregation/racism history of this country.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Timmy Shoes wrote:
The worst part is, and JB touched upon this in his article, is that the young fans don't realize that the Yankees were a terrible team for most of the 80's. In fact, the Mets were considered the good team in New York during that era. Mention that, though, and they'll laugh at you, and say things like "stop livin' in the past!"

From about 1984 until 1989, New York was all about the Mets. The Yankees were an afterthought. The Mets outdrew the Yankees in attendance, had better radio & TV ratings, and were plum games for national TV. The '86 post-season was the *only* sports topic not only in New York but in the entire northeast. Going to college in Philadelphia, the Mets were everywhere. During the afternoon/evening of the Game 6 16-inning showdown with the Astros, you couldn't go anywhere on campus without hearing the broadcast on a portable radio.

Even though I'm not a Mets fan, I remember that postseason as clearly as any of the ones in which the Phillies played. Game 6 of the 1986 NLCS was probably the best single postseason game ever played. In deference to the Red Sox fans reading this, I won't mention the World Series.

Timmy Shoes wrote:
I have a theory that the Mets are going to win in 2013. Why? Because in 1973, the Mets went to the World Series and lost, when my dad was 10 years old (or very close to 10). Thirteen years later, in 1986, they won. In 2000, when I was 10, the Mets went to the world series and lost. Thus, 2013, y'know, after the world ends and all, the Mets are gonna win the world series!

2013? Let's see. 2011 will be the evaluation/fire sale year, in which the Mets try to jettison as many overpriced veterans as possible. Unfortunately, their farm system is understocked. so a quick infusion of high-level talent is unlikely. Figure it will take a couple of years to retool and restock then another year to attract a few free agents to complete the picture. Contention in 2014 and maybe a WS win in 2015. By then, the Mets' main competition will probably come from the Marlins and/or Nationals.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Are you just trying to convince yourself that it's okay to spend many hours watching bad movies, because what is a good movie without the contrast? ;)

--

Sports are fun to watch. But, other than the minimal impact a single fan can have (the minor investment in the team from watching them, buying tickets, buying clothing etc), it just isn't healthy to become emotionally attached to a team as if it's a genuine war, where victory truly matters. It's really hard to watch sports without ending up cheering on some team (even if you try not to), but a good game is a good game. Sports are intriguing based on what mankind is capable of, and it's surely better to see an unpredictable game than a boring evening TV show.

I wonder as evening TV has become more cinematic, if sports are hurting any. Watching or listening to sports used to make sense, because what other entertainment was there? But are sports hurt, just as most things seem to be, by people having so many options that a mid-season baseball game between two teams that aren't considered to be in the race, going to be watched enough when the person could watch Dancing with the Stars?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:31 am
Sports have been hit slightly because most people will only watch if there's an intriguing storyline or some type of drama. Nowadays, we're (not as in us on this board, but a majority of society) weaned on reality TV, and if there's not some type of drama/celebrity/trash talk angle to a sporting event, it gets low ratings.

That's why I pray people tune in to this Rangers-Giants World Series because it's something new, different, and potentially very exciting. However, it'll probably be the equivalent of an indie film.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:12 pm
Director

KRoss wrote:
Sports have been hit slightly because most people will only watch if there's an intriguing storyline or some type of drama. Nowadays, we're (not as in us on this board, but a majority of society) weaned on reality TV, and if there's not some type of drama/celebrity/trash talk angle to a sporting event, it gets low ratings.

That's why I pray people tune in to this Rangers-Giants World Series because it's something new, different, and potentially very exciting. However, it'll probably be the equivalent of an indie film.

That final sentence was perfectly put.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile YIM
2011 is going be a very interesting year in the NL East, I'd say if the Braves hadn't sustained the injuries they had throughout the course of the season, they would have snatched the Division Crown. I think there's going to be a pretty intense showdown between the Braves (whose next year lineup is looking alot like their 1995 championship team, provided Freddie Freeman pans out) and Phillies next year for top National League team...I'm excited for it.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 am
Director

KEPinion wrote:
2011 is going be a very interesting year in the NL East, I'd say if the Braves hadn't sustained the injuries they had throughout the course of the season, they would have snatched the Division Crown. I think there's going to be a pretty intense showdown between the Braves (whose next year lineup is looking alot like their 1995 championship team, provided Freddie Freeman pans out) and Phillies next year for top National League team...I'm excited for it.

don't forget about their pitching. Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson, Tim Hudson, Mike Minor, Johnny Venters, Mike Dunn. It's a shame that Kris Medlan had Tommy John. He would have been a very good fourth or fifth piticher.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 pm
Profile YIM