Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome) 
Post Re: Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome)
Fünke is my all time favorite of the main cast, although my favorite character in the entire series is Charlize Theron's Rita. Everything about that character - down to the detail of WHY she's called 'Rita' - is so absolute genius.

The way this show one-upped itself in zaniness between every single episode - without it exploding in ridiculousness - is unbelievable.

The film (if it's actually coming out) is the film I look the most forward to to seeing this decade.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:48 am
timgoens wrote:
Not to be nit-picky, but I don't think I would call it a sit-com at all. That is where it didn't catch on. It was one of the first half-hour comedies to not use a laugh track.

A sitcom doesn't have to use a laugh track.

Tobias is my favorite, favorite bit is him being an "analrapist".

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 am
I remember Olbermann talking about the movie a while back. From what Ive read, Michael Cera is being a bit of a douche about it and is holding everyone back.

I think I might start from Season 1 again, for perhaps the 10th time in honour of this thread.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 am
Yeah, Cera wants to see a script or something. Whatever, man. He owes his life to that show.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:10 pm
Michael Cera is going to see my fist first. If the rumors are true, at least.

To be fair, if Jason Bateman had the kind of roles Cera got in film in the 80's, Arrested Development would very likely have a different leading man.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 pm
Tobias was definitely one of my favorite characters- his homosexual non-sequiturs always got a laugh out of me. The episode where Michael had Tobias tape himself for an entire day was a classic. Let's not forget his business card ("The world's first analrapist"). :D

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:14 pm
Pedro wrote:
Yeah, Cera wants to see a script or something. Whatever, man. He owes his life to that show.

Well, yea, that and his acting talent. I want to see the movie too but I can't blame the guy for actually wanting to see a script before committing. Maybe he's worried that the movie won't do the show justice?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:54 pm
Every single character Cera has played since AD has been variations on George Michael. Come on man, get on board already! Wanting to see a script is just a stalling tactic.

"Steve Holt!!

Somebody had to say it :-)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:30 pm
Watched a few episodes again from Season 1 yesterday. I didn't even notice how many set-ups there are for Season 2 hidden within the screenplay the first time through. I am more astounded by this show's brilliant audacity with every viewing.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 pm
This was the thread that enticed me to sign up...

I'm a big fan of the show and Gob and Tobias are my two favourite characters. However, I did feel like it went way off the rails in the third series and was more bizarre than funny. Still the first two series' have so many classic moments. Not my favourite sitcom of all time but one of the best.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:55 pm
I think they realized in Season 3 there wasn't going to be a Season 4, so they probably stuffed all the zany ideas they had come up with since the first Season into it.

Dave Thomas was an excellent addition to the cast. Always love to see SCTV members working.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:32 pm
munroe wrote:
I think they realized in Season 3 there wasn't going to be a Season 4, so they probably stuffed all the zany ideas they had come up with since the first Season into it.

Well obviously, heh, since they started making blatant references to their low ratings and impending cancellation in the show.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:25 pm
Ryan wrote:
One of all-time favorite AD moments was at the end of "The Ocean Walker", where Michael breaks off his engagement to Rita, and she walks across the pool, on the water. Michael turns to GOB and asks, "Is that one of your tricks?" GOB responds, "No, that's not one of my tricks". The episode "ends" as if it's seriously trying to pull off a Jesus allegory. Immediately, we are treated with "On the next Arrested Development...", and it cuts to the last scene where GOB exclaims, "It's one of my ILLUSIONS!!!" I must have laughed for centuries after that one.

Absolutely my favorite moment of the whole series. The first time I saw it I literally cried I was laughing so hard. My favorite quote from the whole series: "Why am I not going underwater? DEAR GOD why am I not going undewater?!"

Favorite character is... probably... um... I guess GOB, but the only character I can remember from the entire show that I didn't love was Martin Short's character. And even his was funny enough.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:40 pm
Bones wrote:
Ryan wrote:
One of all-time favorite AD moments was at the end of "The Ocean Walker", where Michael breaks off his engagement to Rita, and she walks across the pool, on the water. Michael turns to GOB and asks, "Is that one of your tricks?" GOB responds, "No, that's not one of my tricks". The episode "ends" as if it's seriously trying to pull off a Jesus allegory. Immediately, we are treated with "On the next Arrested Development...", and it cuts to the last scene where GOB exclaims, "It's one of my ILLUSIONS!!!" I must have laughed for centuries after that one.

Absolutely my favorite moment of the whole series. The first time I saw it I literally cried I was laughing so hard. My favorite quote from the whole series: "Why am I not going underwater? DEAR GOD why am I not going undewater?!"

Favorite character is... probably... um... I guess GOB, but the only character I can remember from the entire show that I didn't love was Martin Short's character. And even his was funny enough.

He was a little over the top, but still great.
"Ignore it! It's just something the body does when you shake it!"

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:34 pm
"To the nuts!"

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 pm
For what it's worth that is Martin Short's style. All of his characters are played to an extreme...whether or not that's a good thing has me a little undecided.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 pm
According to http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b101451_sources_michael_cera_joins_arrested.html, looks like the film may finally be a go:

Quote:
Oh happy day!

Inside sources close to the negotiations of the upcoming Arrested Development movie tell me that Superbad and Juno star (and before that, hello, George-Michael Bluth!) Michael Cera has finally agreed to do the feature film project.

Cera had been the lone holdout among the show's stars for several weeks. All other Bluths, including Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Jessica Walter, Jeffrey Tambor and David Cross, are already game, according to sources.

So when exactly will the movie happen?

According to insiders, the movie may go as early as the end of the year, if they can put it together in time. I'm told Mitchell Hurwitz is writing the script, Ron Howard is directing and Fox Searchlight is the studio.

I've made a big mistake ...

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm
Mr. Manager is finally on board!

The most dangerous cousin in the O.C. is coming to a banana stand near you!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 am
Would Ron Howard really direct?
I kind of doubt it. I know he was involved with the show, and I love the show and everything, but that still seems kind of low for him.
That would be awesome though.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:18 am
Quote:
Would Ron Howard really direct?
I kind of doubt it. I know he was involved with the show, and I love the show and everything, but that still seems kind of low for him.
That would be awesome though.

Yeah, from reports earlier this year, the combination of Mitch Hurwitz directing and Ron producing/narrating also appeared to be a possibility. That being said, if you look at Ron Howard's earlier efforts like "Night Shift", "Splash" and "Parenthood", it's evident he can pull it off but he'd have to make his style considerably more manic and madcap. Perhaps that's why he'd be interested from an artistic standpoint - also perhaps the only way the studios would commit the money (in addition to the entire cast and creative team participating) would be with him involved as a director.

Taste the Happy, Michael.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next