Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Breaking Bad 
Post Re: Breaking Bad
It took a mighty long time but I finally made it all the way through the second season of Breaking Bad. Season 3 will have to wait for a while.

Now that that's out of the way: the show is more depressing than I would have guessed. It's not just that Walt is semi-amoral and borderline sociopathic -- my sympathies left him fairly quickly (this during season one) and I started to wonder if Pinkman was the true moral center of the two leads. How could this be? Interesting.

But then there's some stuff that is just plain nauseating: Walt letting a girl choke to death on her own vomit in order to avoid legal complications, for example. And then there's a thoroughly depressing mid-air collision between two passenger jets... maybe selling the show as a comedy/drama is the wrong pitch. This is not to say there isn't some black-as-black comedy. But this is not to say that the show makes me not uncomfortable (double negatives frequently bring me to climax); I feel a real sense of relief when the end credits start rolling.

It's a good program (the acting is all-around awesome) but, and I'm just saying "maybe" here, it may be lacking in some depth. Maybe. It's very very very plot-oriented at any rate. I can't say I'm looking forward to season 3 but, as I've come this far... .

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:58 am
Director

Agree with pretty much everything you said major, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to watch Season 3 after the super depressing finale to Season 2.

With that said, I'm loving Season 3, this is just a brilliant show. As far as the ending of tonight's episode, titled "Half Measures" - another mega WTF moment that proves once again that this show has mega balls.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Agree with pretty much everything you said major, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to watch Season 3 after the super depressing finale to Season 2.

With that said, I'm loving Season 3, this is just a brilliant show. As far as the ending of tonight's episode, titled "Half Measures" - another mega WTF moment that proves once again that this show has mega balls.

Cool. I was wondering if it was just me -- my father sold the show to me as "hilarious". Comic is the closest word and even that's a stretch.

As far as mega balls are concerned -- definitely. There's a lot of risk in the story and, after my short break from the program, am really looking forward to season 3. I need to know how the story resolves. Need to.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I accidentally read that Skyler returns to Walt and I was irritated with myself for reading the article.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 am
majoraphasia wrote:
As far as mega balls are concerned -- definitely. There's a lot of risk in the story and, after my short break from the program, am really looking forward to season 3. I need to know how the story resolves. Need to.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Skylar and Walt's situation toward the end of the 3rd season is not that simple, while she does kinda go back to Walt, It's not for the reason that many would assume (cooking meth to support his family, Skylar is smarter than to blindly accept Walt back after all of his lying the previous two seasons)

btw The finale is going to be epic!! There needs to be more TV shows like this.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:43 pm
I'm really tempted to download the first few episodes of season 3 via iTunes.

Maybe streaming episodes? Anyone know of a good place where I can check out high quality streaming videos? Hulu doesn't have anything but minisodes of full episodes I've already seen.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
I'm really tempted to download the first few episodes of season 3 via iTunes.

Maybe streaming episodes? Anyone know of a good place where I can check out high quality streaming videos? Hulu doesn't have anything but minisodes of full episodes I've already seen.

Not sure if it's high quality or not, but here's a site that has tons of links:

http://www.yidio.com/show/breaking-bad

I also got my dad hooked on to this show, and he said the conclusion of two of the episodes this past season are the most violent he's seen on TV. I have to concur.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The shootout with Hank and the brothers was insane and gory, and this past episode they did an amazing job making it look like he flat-out ran those guys over. How do you film that! Incredible

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 am
Profile WWW
What's funny was http://www.amctv.com had the season 3 premiere full episode on their site an hour after it aired, then the next week all of their full episodes were removed.

I suggest iTunes and if you are a risk taker a BitTorrent client

I heard that Vince Gilligan said he only sees Breaking Bad lasting for 4 seasons which means that after the finale on Sunday we only have one more glorious season to look forward to

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Well Season 3's now come to an end... Can't believe we have to wait for almost a year to see what happens next :(

Overall I found this to be an odd season... It featured many of the best moments in the history of the show, had the most tense moments I think I've ever sat through (both in television and film), but something about it left me feeling a little cold.

I think some of it had to do with some of the erratic plotting and pacing. At times the pace felt all over the place. From the slow build up at the beginning of the season, building up to an amazing mid-season sequence, then slowing (particularly with the fly episode) and then right back up there with the final. There didn't seem to be much of a story arc for the season (particularly compared to season 2), mostly just events which seemed to be building up to something larger.

Of course these are only nit-picks, it definitely ranks up there with the best of television. The writing, acting, direction, etc. are all as good as it gets, there just seems to be a few things holding it back from greatness in my books.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:48 am
Slowly winding up the last of season 3 and have a few observations to share.

It's, up to the last two episodes, both the best and least season. The writers have jettisoned any efforts to make Walt anything other than a 99% sociopath; his character is so disgusting and hideously irretrievable that following his story arc is becoming a chore. If it weren't for Hank's character being fleshed out the show would be a masochistic watch. That's a plus: Hank, finally front and center as he should have been all along, makes the story more understandable.

There's also the use of one of the most tired of writing conventions: rehab. These scenes are really easy to write (they practically write themselves) and are just as lazy, contrived as the cliche allows. Rehab meetings (lone speaker, circle of weary people) allow for dispensing of recognizable action in favor of the acting challenge (as if) of looking pained, confessing Big Truths. Lame. And a waste of time.

That said, the show has found the balance between characters it sought for the first season. Walt's wife is finally a real person, Marie is more than a harpy cariacture and Pinkman gets some delightful depth when he seeds those rehab meetings with salespeople for the product they're escaping. Clever.

Not a great show -- it can't sustain itself for too much longer -- but entertaining at its best, harmless at the worst.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm
This intrigues me. Is this a finite series, or pen ended? I just don't want to -ahem- acquire three seasons' worth then be stuck waiting for a year or two waiting for a new season to become available.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 am
I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has remained active in my absence.

I've gotta say, Major, your take on the show is pretty surprising to me (though you're fully entitled to it, of course). The show did get extremely dark this season, probably darker than it's ever gone before; and that's why I love it. Gilligan and Cranston's intentions for Walt were never for the audience to agree or sympathize with his actions (especially in the later episodes, when his financial need for his work is gone), but simply to understand him. It's true that the opening episodes of Season 3 aren't extremely enjoyable in the conventional sense, but I loved them anyway because I found the exploration of these characters and the consequences of their actions fascinating. And even at the show's worst moments, Michael Slovis' beautiful camerawork and the acting by pretty much all of the principal cast is enough to keep me continuously enthralled.

For me, this season of BB is the epitome of great TV. Episodes like "Fly", "Half Measures", and "One Minute" rank up with the best of any TV show in the past few years. At this point, the show has my total trust and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 am
GunBehindTheToilet wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has remained active in my absence.

I've gotta say, Major, your take on the show is pretty surprising to me (though you're fully entitled to it, of course). The show did get extremely dark this season, probably darker than it's ever gone before; and that's why I love it. Gilligan and Cranston's intentions for Walt were never for the audience to agree or sympathize with his actions (especially in the later episodes, when his financial need for his work is gone), but simply to understand him. It's true that the opening episodes of Season 3 aren't extremely enjoyable in the conventional sense, but I loved them anyway because I found the exploration of these characters and the consequences of their actions fascinating. And even at the show's worst moments, Michael Slovis' beautiful camerawork and the acting by pretty much all of the principal cast is enough to keep me continuously enthralled.

For me, this season of BB is the epitome of great TV. Episodes like "Fly", "Half Measures", and "One Minute" rank up with the best of any TV show in the past few years. At this point, the show has my total trust and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy the show. I was just a little disappointed with season 3 -- the episode "Fly", while really intriguing, also felt like a bit of an under-written one-act play. I'm glad they try stuff like that even if it doesn't always work for me.

I guess I just don't find Walt and his conflict all that interesting -- his character is more about cleaning up and either/or (normal family guy vs. murderer -- that second-to-last episode's final scene was shocking) than any ambiguous depth. The show is also very plot driven and that's not always my cup of tea.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 am
majoraphasia wrote:

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy the show. I was just a little disappointed with season 3 -- the episode "Fly", while really intriguing, also felt like a bit of an under-written one-act play. I'm glad they try stuff like that even if it doesn't always work for me.

I guess I just don't find Walt and his conflict all that interesting -- his character is more about cleaning up and either/or (normal family guy vs. murderer -- that second-to-last episode's final scene was shocking) than any ambiguous depth. The show is also very plot driven and that's not always my cup of tea.

I guess we agree to disagree. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

As far as "Fly" goes, it was an episode that for me definitely improved with a second viewing.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I found it kind of heartbreaking, the way Walt finally verbalizes the hopelessness of his current situation. In particular, that monologue about how he's "lived too long" was just devastating. I recently re-watched Season 2, and I had forgotten that we actually see that "perfect moment" when Walt would have preferred to die. It gives me chills just thinking about it. :lol:

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:23 pm
Damn it! Just wrapped "Full Measure" and, of f*cking course, they ended the season brilliantly. That last scene? That's some acting, Bryan Cranston.

Renewed for a fourth season by AMC... that's a given since the show has been a success. Frustrating.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Gale! Poor guy.

Anyhow, GBTT, there's no doubt that things that I've missed certain things. The last few minutes of the season illustrated that Walt wasn't fibbing when he was delivering the sleepy monologue in "Fly". Part of me wants him to get caught, part of me wants him dead, part of me wants him to chuck it all and go into hiding, wish he'd reconcile... it's gripping/frustrating. And it's also why I don't watch that much TV... addictive. TV on DVD? It's the devil.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm
Well, I just finished seasons 1-3. Forget about the perils of DVDs, what about the perlis of bittorrents? But let me first address Breaking Bad. What a brilliant show. The finale of Season 3 is fantastic. What happen? And where do they go from here? I can't wait to see the development in the fourth (and final, by all accounts) season) What will Skyler do? What will Chicken man do? What will happen to Walt and Jesse? So much to resolve and so little time. I'm looking forward to the lsat season.

Back to the dangers of DVD/torrents. Living in Germany, I don't have the opportunity to watch real-time TV. That is a good thing, but it creates the danger of watching everything in one go, which can be both good and bad. In the last few months, I have watched seasons 1-7 of both Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm, the complete Star Trek Next Generation and Original series, the first three seasons of Breaking Bad, All seasons (1-5) of The Wire, all of The Office (UK and US versions), season 1 of Mad Men, Season 1 of Firefly, seasons 1-3 of Heroes, and the first season of Star Trek DS9.

I have already downloaded all of Deadwood and The Sopranos (which I have never seen) as well as Big Love and Six Feet Under. This wealth of TV quality has severely hindered my work time. I work from home and have a very fast DSL connection, so downloading content is simple and fast.

This is a dangerous hobby...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 pm
Please pardon any spelling and greammatical erros in my last post. Posting directly after returning from Oktoberfest and 4 liters of beer is never a good idea...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm
Director

It's rumored that Season 4 is going to be delayed until July 2011

F everything.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

DunkinDan89 wrote:

F everything.

I'm pretty sure they announced that as soon as Season 3 ended. I think it was planned from the beginning.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

F everything.

I'm pretty sure they announced that as soon as Season 3 ended. I think it was planned from the beginning.

And it's not necessarily a bad thing at all. Hopefully, and I say this with respect for the series, they'll find a way to make the last season more self-contained than the others. I realize they're not taking a season off for perfection's sake but it could lend a bit more gravity to the show when production resumes. Hard to say.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:02 pm
Second Unit Director

majoraphasia wrote:
And it's not necessarily a bad thing at all. Hopefully, and I say this with respect for the series, they'll find a way to make the last season more self-contained than the others. I realize they're not taking a season off for perfection's sake but it could lend a bit more gravity to the show when production resumes. Hard to say.

I remember Vince Gilligan said the exact same thing in an interview, that the extra time would allow them to write the best season possible

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next