Site Admin

Post October 15, 2010: "Just a Little Crush"
Click here to read topic.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Post Re: October 15, 2010: "Just a Little Crush"
Quote:
Also, perhaps strangely, there was never a Star Trek or Doctor Who woman who captured my fancy. Then again, neither show was a hotbed of attractive women.

I and Katy Manning's underwear beg to differ...

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 pm
Big Daddy B wrote:
In 1981, I briefly latched onto Karen Allen, who made as big an impression upon me in Raiders of the Lost Ark as did Harrison Ford. This was one of the clear instances in which I was attracted to the actress, not merely the character she played. Even though the phase of my crush on Allen didn't survive my entrance into high school, I continued to follow her in movies from Starman to The Sandlot.

This was my holy-shit-you're-right-that-is-her moment in your ReelThoughts. I had no idea that was her in The Sandlot.

Great post.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 pm
Director

Quote:
Also, perhaps strangely, there was never a Star Trek or Doctor Who woman who captured my fancy. Then again, neither show was a hotbed of attractive women.

Don't worry, James. I'm pretty sure Karen Gillan will be the lovely dreams pre-teen boys will have.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile YIM
I actually didn't have my first crush until high school, can't really recall having any crushes on any actresses though.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 pm
Vexer wrote:
I actually didn't have my first crush until high school, can't really recall having any crushes on any actresses though.

Same here. Although my Google search history of "Anne Hathaway" and "Salma Hayek" apparently make a liar of me.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 pm
Gaffer

Wow, this brought back some ancient memories.

For me these prepubescent crushes included Carrie Fisher from Star Wars, Erin Gray from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century tv series and Kirstey Alley from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

(Yes, I know I was a geek, thank you.)

[Erin Gray still looks pretty good]

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Christina Hendricks from Mad Men. :P

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 am
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Christina Hendricks from Mad Men. :P

I don't have cable or satellite, so this must be a TV show.
I'll Google her and check her out :-)

2 minutes later

Ah hah, a curvy red head
Whilst not my type, she is definitely striking
and what is her character called?
Rob

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:58 am
OK, Fay Wray,

Just kidding, I'm not THAT old

Julie Christie did it for me as a fist crush.
I was 12 in 1970.

Rob

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 am
Second Unit Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
I don't have cable or satellite, so this must be a TV show.
I'll Google her and check her out :-)

2 minutes later

Ah hah, a curvy red head
Whilst not my type, she is definitely striking
and what is her character called?
Rob

Mad Men's a show on AMC about a Madison Avenue advertising agency in the 1960's. Christina Hendricks plays the head secretary Joan Holloway. She delivers a wonderful performance as is by far one of the most beautiful and interesting female characters on TV. I thought I grew out of celebrity crushes in high school, but something about Hendricks makes me feel like a little school-boy again :oops:

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:26 am
I've got a couple. Mainly Emma Watson, Kristen Stewart, and Natalie Portman.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Wow, this essay brings back memories!

My earliest crushes had been directed at girls at school. However, I vividly remember my first crush on a girl on TV. I was maybe 12 years old and I saw a TV spot for the next Full House episode in which DJ Tanner was celebrating her 13th birthday.

Oh my God...

This was back when I didn't watch any sitcom. Let me tell you I started tuning in to ABC's TGIF lineup religiously. I had those fantasies about meeting Candace Cameron, that we'd go steady together despite me living 3000 miles away :-) I remember praying God to make it happen, to let me meet her. I don't know if it's a bitter twist of irony or if God really answered my prayers but about 10 years later she married a hockey player and actually moved to my hometown. Of course, by then I was over her though I briefly entertained the idea of trying to meet her anyway.

My next serious crush on a celebrity was Bridgette Wilson whom I first noticed in Mortal Kombat and then in Billy Madison. Those eyes of hers melted my heart and I still feel somewhat jealous of Pete Sampras for bagging her.

Since then, I've had minor pangs of lust about actresses such as Arielle Kebbel, Ashley Judd, Charlize Theron, Julia Stiles, and Katherine Heigl but it was nothing like the excitement of seeing DJ Tanner every Friday night.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Yeah, my initial reaction to this

Quote:
She had two notable attributes: her relentlessly cheerful disposition and her large chest.

was to wonder what the young Berardinelli would have thought of Christina Hendricks. My own reactions to Mad Men, depending on whether or not she's in the scene, tend to vacillate between "Ah, yes, I like the way they framed this shot" to "what the fuck god damn it what the fuck!"

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:58 am
Site Admin

Ken wrote:

Quote:
She had two notable attributes: her relentlessly cheerful disposition and her large chest.

was to wonder what the young Berardinelli would have thought of Christina Hendricks. My own reactions to Mad Men, depending on whether or not she's in the scene, tend to vacillate between "Ah, yes, I like the way they framed this shot" to "what the fuck god damn it what the fuck!"

She's the mother who dies in LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, right?

I've never been partial to redheads - never had a crush on one in real life or on screen. Pretty face, though. My younger self probably would not have been too impressed. :(

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:14 am
Profile WWW
I think it took me a few episodes to notice that she has red hair.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 am
The only crush I recall is on Amy Jo Johnson, the original Pink Power Ranger. That was probably how I was able to ignore just how incredibly cheesy that show was.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 am
ShrunkenHead wrote:
The only crush I recall is on Amy Jo Johnson, the original Pink Power Ranger. That was probably how I was able to ignore just how incredibly cheesy that show was.

Oh god I HATED that show! But i still did have to amdit that Johnson looked pretty good, if i ever did have a crush on anyone when I was younger, it was Hilary Duff.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:15 pm
Director

Back in the day, I thought that Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles was teh hotness. Actually, she still is...and I still listen to the Bangles too.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:32 pm
Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
Ken wrote:

Quote:

She's the mother who dies in LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, right?

I've never been partial to redheads - never had a crush on one in real life or on screen. Pretty face, though. My younger self probably would not have been too impressed. :(

She's also Saffron from Firefly.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:08 pm