Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post Re: What are you reading?
Great House by Nicole Krauss. Review will be up over at Librarything if you ever find yourself curious as to what I think of Nicole Krauss. Given that I'm not interested in what I think of Nicole Kruass I advise you to keep doing what you're doing.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:35 pm
Finished Asterios Polyp. I'll whip up a review, plus a cool graphic to be determined eventually. Suffice it to say that it is a compelling and authentic story, told with boundless creativity by a master storyteller.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm
Currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I'm only one chapter in, but it only took me a few pages to stop and say, "Holy shit. This guy is AMAZING with words." Kayne West calls himself a wordsmith? Please, that dude needs a reality check. Márquez's word-smithing is impeccable.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Finished the Jew of Malta. Entertaining, funny, and insightful while being relatable to modern day matters despite the fact that it's about 500 years old.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:30 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Finished the Jew of Malta. Entertaining, funny, and insightful while being relatable to modern day matters despite the fact that it's about 500 years old.

You have cool taste, boy-o.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:32 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

It was for class actually. Still a pretty cool read. :mrgreen:

have you read it?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:38 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

It was for class actually. Still a pretty cool read. :mrgreen:

have you read it?

No, I haven't. I've read some other Marlowe and it was referenced in at least a few of Hemingway's works but... no. I figured you just picked it up for the halibut.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:44 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
No, I haven't. I've read some other Marlowe and it was referenced in at least a few of Hemingway's works but... no. I figured you just picked it up for the halibut.

I advise you to pick it up for the halibut then. How can you not love a villain who says this:

"As for myself, I walk abroad o' nights,
And kill sick people groaning under walls:
Sometimes I go about and poison wells..." :mrgreen:

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:25 pm
Right in the middle of Vikram Seth's 1,400-page melodramafest A Suitable Boy. Not bad, entertaining enough, but nothing more than a John Irving Goes To India (Again) novel.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 am
Ebert's great movies of course
And many web sites
Rob

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 am
I'm struggling to review Asterios Polyp. The problem isn't that I have nothing to say about it, but that the things I want to say elude my puny grasp of language.

Until I figure it out, I'm simultaneously re-reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Ebert's Awake in the Dark, and the Scott Pilgrim series.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:49 pm
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 pm
The simultaneously annoying and charming Mrs Dalloway.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 pm
Finished up on Dalloway, ended better off than I started.

Also finished up on Marston's The Malcontent and had one of those delicious feelings you get when you crack open something that you've never really encountered anything quite like before. Can't really describe what it's about. Hm... a play about how a deposed duke disguises himself foul-mouthed little misanthrope and outsmarts and outschemes a foul-hearted social aspirer pretending to be a servant but actually intending to murder his way into the power? Sounds generally right. And he doesn't even kill anyone.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21 pm
Ken wrote:
I'm struggling to review Asterios Polyp. The problem isn't that I have nothing to say about it, but that the things I want to say elude my puny grasp of language.

It's not an easy book to talk about.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:50 am
Re-reading Tom McCarthy's 2010 mega opus C. You see, it came up in a recent exchange around postmodernism and it seemed like a good one to revisit knowing what I now know about the last chapter. Ah ha! It'd be well-received, mebelieveth, by some forumgoers. A bit obscure here and there but a great balls-out literary performance not fit for your frilly book clubs. Recommended to those who think Ian McEwan is a big, wordy, soft ball of blimey.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 pm
Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Weird, but cool.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm
Best Evidence by David Lifton. Take that, Arlen Spector.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:07 am
Machine of Death. Collection of short stories by 30 odd writers about a machine that can tell you how you're going to die, but phrases its statements in a deliberately ironically vague way. So far it's great.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:52 am
Just finished reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which was a good 'un. Currently reading the first volume of Tom Strong, which is Alan Moore in "helluva lot of fun" mode, plus the artistic stylings of co-creator Chris Sprouse and a variety of terrific guest artists. Suttree is on deck.

I still promise to get around to that Asterios Polyp review, but I'll probably have to read through it again.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next