Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman. 
Post Re: Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman.
cautiously optimistic.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:43 am
mailedbypostman wrote:
Nick cage could be superman.

Just get Chris Reeves again, CGI can cover a little of his aging and we really should reuse the guy.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:37 am
eXterminus wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

Just get Chris Reeves again, CGI can cover a little of his aging and we really should reuse the guy.

You do know that he's dead right?

Unless you're joking....please tell me you are, I haven't hit my embarrassment quota yet.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 am
Patrick wrote:
eXterminus wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

Unless you're joking....please tell me you are, I haven't hit my embarrassment quota yet.

Being dead does not prevent him from oh

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am
Being dead doesn't stop him from being annoyed by people who combine his first name with the last name of a completely different Superman actor.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm
Ken wrote:
Being dead doesn't stop him from being annoyed by people who combine his first name with the last name of a completely different Superman actor.

Just like being a reasonable and intelligent person doesn't prevent you from being annoyed by the same meaningless little thing.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Patrick wrote:
eXterminus wrote:

Being dead does not prevent him from oh

You guys might be joking but in a couple of decades Chris Reeve might very well don the tights once more. Laurence Olivier was in Sky Captain long after he was dead.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am
And let's not forget the ultra-relevant example of Brando's post-mortem performance as Jor-El in Superman Returns.

Action Comics artist Gary Frank also appears to have a serious Reeve fetish. I find this distracting, considering that Reeve closely resembles the Superman of Joe Shuster and Curt Swan enough that it's unnecessary to play it up any further in the more recent artwork.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:12 am
After much soul-searching, I relent.

Jon Hamm would be an excellent candidate for Superman.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 pm
Holy shit.. he IS dead!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:51 pm
Blog entry: an open letter to the creative team.

Excerpt:

Quote:
There’s been a lot of talk about how best to approach Superman. It sounds dangerously like people are trying to “fix” him. This is wrong. Superman doesn’t need to be reinvented according to what the kids today can relate to. That’s a losing battle and always will be. He also doesn’t need to be wedged into the context of contemporary social issues. Superman is more universal than that.

Don’t try to fix the character. Try to know the character. It’s not such an easy task, given the myriad variations over the years. He’s been a two-fisted crusader for the little guy, an ineffectual wimp, the ultimate authority figure, a self-doubting demigod, a spacefaring sci-fi/fantasy adventurer, a young urban professional, a gladiator, and many other things.

The challenge is in finding the common elements that everybody knows to be true. It means tracking down the logical throughline–the essential Superman. Find that character. Make your movie about him.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 am
Ken wrote:
Blog entry: an open letter to the creative team.

Excerpt:

Quote:
There’s been a lot of talk about how best to approach Superman. It sounds dangerously like people are trying to “fix” him. This is wrong. Superman doesn’t need to be reinvented according to what the kids today can relate to. That’s a losing battle and always will be. He also doesn’t need to be wedged into the context of contemporary social issues. Superman is more universal than that.

Don’t try to fix the character. Try to know the character. It’s not such an easy task, given the myriad variations over the years. He’s been a two-fisted crusader for the little guy, an ineffectual wimp, the ultimate authority figure, a self-doubting demigod, a spacefaring sci-fi/fantasy adventurer, a young urban professional, a gladiator, and many other things.

The challenge is in finding the common elements that everybody knows to be true. It means tracking down the logical throughline–the essential Superman. Find that character. Make your movie about him.

You raised an interesting point in your postscript: everyone is speculating about who will play Superman, but why not Brandon Routh? He isn't Christopher Reeves (who is?) but I thought he performed satisfactorily. The creators may want to make a clean break from Superman Returns but it would be a mistake to rule out Routh entirely.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I just hope Jon Peters has a restraining order placed against him on this production...at least 500 miles...

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm
Somewhere in the piles of unsubstantiated rumors, there's one about Routh being dropped from consideration. I'd like to see him have another turn in the role, myself.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 pm
Why, god? Oh, why?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:07 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
This probably isn't nearly as relevant to anybody else as it is to me, but I thought this deserved some discussion.

Quote:
Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the new Superman movie, which Christopher Nolan is producing for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Negotiations began earlier today.

Snyder, who directed "300" and "Watchmen," had been on the list of helmers ensconced in meetings with Nolan and Warners execs, who in recent weeks have talked to Darren Aronofsky, Ben Affleck, Matt Reeves and Tony Scott.
The job was so coveted that even Robert Zemeckis, retired to the world of performance capture, considered returning to live-action filmmaking in order to nab the gig.

A new Superman movie is one of the studio’s top priorities, not only since it serves as linchpin for their line of DC superhero-based films, but especially since Warners needs to be in production on a new Superman movie by 2011 or risk losing certain copyrights to the heirs of creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Seigel. (That litigation is still pending.)
Nolan, who revived Batman, teamed up with David Goyer for a new a way to revive the last son of Krypton. Despite grossing $200 million domestically, the last movie, 2006’s “Superman Returns,” was considered a disappointment and a hoped-for franchise launch never flew off.

Snyder_Zack_ab Part of the problem stems from Superman’s classic comic book characteristics: The character for decades was a beacon for positive characteristics and his stories usually painted in black and white, so from a point of view of a certain segment, he was not hip enough for a time that prefers its heroes more morally ambiguous and drawn with tones of gray.

Goyer is writing the script, which is rumored to have, like “Superman Returns,” a Richard Donner Superman connection. In the movie’s case, it’s a villain connection: General Zod.

Nolan is producing with his wife and producing partner Emma Thomas, along with Charles Roven, and Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder’s wife and partner.

Snyder, repped by CAA, is one of Warners favorite filmmakers, ever since he directed the surprise smash “300,” the adaptation of the Frank Miller comic book. He followed that up with “Watchmen,” the adaptation of the seminal Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons miniseries, and is now putting on the final touches on his original work “Suckerpunch,” which is slated to open March 25, 2011.

Snyder just made his animated feature debut with “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.” The movie opened softly but is generating strong word-of-mouth, having fallen only 32% in its second week.

Because Nolan was godfathering “Superman,” it initially was though that any filmmaker coming on baord would be someone who would be more of a mentee in a mentor-style relationship. Snyder, however, brings not only box-office clout but also, like Nolan, a reputation for being a visionary.

Snyder, who told Heat Vision that he was “psyched” about the gig, played down potential class differences.

“In the initial meetings, he’s been super amzaingly smart and also amazingly kind, filmmaker-to-filmmaker,” he said of Nolan. “I have great respect for him. The process has been amazing so far, and it looks like nothing but pluses.”

Snyder first met with Nolan about a month ago, and while he didn’t do any dog-and-pony show, “I defintely expressed my love for the character and interest in seeing him treated right.”

Added Snyder: “The character deserves to be loved. It’s his time”

The director said he and the movie’s makers would work on the script a little bit before jumping to the next stage.

“We’re moving quick,” he said.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I liked Dawn of the Dead as horror and 300 as comedy, and I never saw Watchmen. I'm going with cautious optimism.

Watchmen is a good film. It's exausting sometimes but this is because of the Director's loyalty to the material.

I think he may do a good job.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 am

That costume looks......terrible! They should have saved themselved the cash and just done the lycra thing and been done with it.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 am
Director

Won't say Snyder can't direct. Snyder's great from a technical standpoint. But when it comes to things like characterization, he's lacking. So I say wait and see.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 am

When Ken started this thread months ago I suspected that I'd be able to chart his continually dwindling optimism. I continue to be pessimistic, but intend to see the movie at some point. That costume is rather bad though. And, has anyone read the comments? Most people seem to like it!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am
If you ask me, it's pretty ridiculous to be judging a film solely based on it's costume, have you guys considered the possibility that this isn't the final version of it? Maybe the costume is going to be tweaked with some CGI in post-production?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:58 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next