Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Joker 
Post Joker
Apologies upfront if this has been discussed elsewhere already but I was wondering...

Would Heath Ledger win the Oscar for best supporting actor if he hadn't passed away?
Though a great performance I doubt that he would even have been nominated if that wasn't the case.
The Academy doesn't favor these kind of movies for anything but a few technical awards
as can be seen from its absence in any of the other major categories.

By nominating him now the Academy turned the other nominees into seat-fillers as everybody
will be casting sympathy votes in favor of Ledger, as we've seen from the Globes, Bafta's, SAG and
several critics circle awards. The other nominees don't get a fair treatment and as such don't
stand a chance.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 pm
Post Re: Joker
Marc wrote:
Apologies upfront if this has been discussed elsewhere already but I was wondering...

Would Heath Ledger win the Oscar for best supporting actor if he hadn't passed away?
Though a great performance I doubt that he would even have been nominated if that wasn't the case.
The Academy doesn't favor these kind of movies for anything but a few technical awards
as can be seen from its absence in any of the other major categories.

By nominating him now the Academy turned the other nominees into seat-fillers as everybody
will be casting sympathy votes in favor of Ledger, as we've seen from the Globes, Bafta's, SAG and
several critics circle awards. The other nominees don't get a fair treatment and as such don't
stand a chance.

Well-I thought both Nicholson and Pheiffer should have gotten nominated for the villains they played in the early Batman movies.

I agree-if he hadn't passed away, I kinda doubt he would be getting all this attention. What matters most is how much media attention these nominees get, ultimately. Remember Julia Roberts years ago-during that Oscar year, every magazine, regardless of what subject they were(entertainment, news, sports, or whatever) was Julia this, Julia that, and many Julia topics you can poke holes through. The same was said for Gwyneth Paltrow 2 years prior. It was as if Hollywood bankrolled the media to play a part in this.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:21 pm
I'm sorry, Heath Ledger would have won even if he was still alive. At the very least, he would have been nominated. Who else is worthy? Shannon? I think so, but no one else does. Downey, Jr.? Maybe. I don't think anyone would vote Brolin or Hoffman to success. Between Ledger and Downey, Jr., I think most people would still end up voting for Ledger. NOW WE DON'T KNOW, but that's how I imagine it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm
I understand your sentiment and it's a big "what if" whether or not a death gives more emphasis on a performance or not. But when I was watching "The Dark Knight" I didn't think, "Oh, this is Ledger's last performance." No, what I thought about is that menacing psychopath of a killer The Joker was and what he is willing to do to play around with Batman and Gotham City. This is why, at the very least, if he was still alive that I still think he'd deservedly would get a nomination for the sheer fact of transforming Jack Nicholson's Joker to this one we identify with today.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 pm
Even before Health died, there was a lot of hype surrounding his performance. I think that, had he not died, he still would've been nominated, but I don't think he would've had a chance of winning. I might be wrong, but the Oscars don't seem to like those types of characters.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 pm
He would definately have been nominated, and he would've had a good chance considering his performance was so good, and the category isn't particularly strong this year.

The only other serious contender is Michael Shannon but I think star power would win out in that situation.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:14 pm
He definitely would have been nominated. I think that his Joker will be the iconic villain for years to come. What comic book movie has had a better villain lately? (Until Watchmen comes out at least) A villain that isn't just making some retarded plan for a real estate scam or something. Instead, Ledger's Joker makes the heroes examine there own morality and put their beliefs to the test. Definitely think he would have been worthy alive or dead for an Oscar nom.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 am
Hi there

I guess the answer to this is do you think the performance is the best?
If you do, you answered it. If not, the question becomes valid.

I do think that the Hollywood community loves a cause. The comeback or the deceased young genius.

I thought this performance was the best of the group, irrespective of his demise.

Rob

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Personally, I think its the best performance I've seen all year, followed real closely by Mickey Rourke. I've always wondered if his death is what drives my view of the performance, but after watching The Dark Knight a few more times I see more nuances in the performance. Obviously, his death will affect my judgement but its not the only thing I consider, and the reverse argument can also be used. People who view it negatively ( or in this case don't praise it as much as others) may be a result of his death reinforcing their opinion that the only reason he is being praised so highly is because of his untimely death.

Wow that was wordy, and did I just commit a double negative?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:47 pm
:ugeek:
Heath would have won. I agree that normally the 'life drama' gives FALSE points to an actor... in this case it unfort is DISTRACTING from it. People are second guessing an obvious Oscar Win.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:22 pm
I really hope I become elegible for an Oscar when I die from a drug fuelled sex heart-attack :cry:

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am
I agree with most here: nominated, very likely, since most feel he set acting aside and BECAME the Joker. Win? Eh...as last night proved, the Academy isn't too fond of those keep-us-in-the-black "comic book films"...no matter their artistic merit. I would have thought, however, that Downey probably would have won all things being equal, considering the "comeback" factor.

Based on merit alone (and shouldn't that be the standard....oh well), Ledger should have won.

Erik

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:16 am
Darth Sanjaya wrote:
:ugeek:
Heath would have won. I agree that normally the 'life drama' gives FALSE points to an actor... in this case it unfort is DISTRACTING from it. People are second guessing an obvious Oscar Win.

Not remotely. It can only add to it. My feeling is that DeNiro would have won Best Actor in 76' if it hadn't been for Peter Finch's death (although he was fantastic). The academy cannot resist a posthumous award. Then the winner can't refuse it :)

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
I really hope I become elegible for an Oscar when I die from a drug fuelled sex heart-attack :cry:

First you need some makeup.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Actually, no, wait, you two are sick.

Shame to both your houses!

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 am
mailedbypostman wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

I guess turning in a performance of that calibre will probably take it's toll!

But really, Best Supporting Actor at both the Oscars AND the Baftas? Really? I think James hit the nail on the head when he refered to the Oscars as "masturbation". It really is a contest of winners amongst knaves.

Was Leger nominated/awarded because he was the best supporting actor, or has the nomination/award made him such? Why was the movie itself not nominated/awarded Best Picture as well? The winner certainly didn't deserve it, really.

Really, this contest is a pile of crap.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 pm
Cinematographer

There is no doubt in my mind that Heath Ledger would have been nominated and won if he was alive. He gave the best performance of the year, and one of the best I have ever seen. I walked out of the midnight showing of The Dark Knight in awe of his power onscreen. To have spent six weeks locked in a motel preparing for his role, to show up and give the performance that he did, I would not be surprised at all if he won the Oscar if he was still alive. I will admit that there was weak competition this year. Yes, Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious as an Australian black man, but the Academy just doesn't recognize comedies. Philip Seymour Hoffman was strong in Doubt, but he has done better. His performance was overshadowed by Meryl Streep. Michael Shannon made a solid performance in Revolutionary Road, but frankly I was surprised to see that he was nominated. I can't speak for Josh Brolin, as I have yet to see Milk. But based on the huge margin that IMDB had on the Oscar poll (Ledger had like 80% of the vote), I think that he had a great enough margin that he would have won.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 am
Marc wrote:

The very fact that this question is being asked suggests that deceased actors should not be eligible for an award. People will always question whether Heath Ledger received the Oscar for the quality of his work.

On the other hand, it is the performance which should be recognised. Although I haven't seen that many films in 2008, I am hard-pressed to think of a better supporting actor's performance.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]