Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman. 
Post Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman.
This probably isn't nearly as relevant to anybody else as it is to me, but I thought this deserved some discussion.

Quote:
Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the new Superman movie, which Christopher Nolan is producing for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Negotiations began earlier today.

Snyder, who directed "300" and "Watchmen," had been on the list of helmers ensconced in meetings with Nolan and Warners execs, who in recent weeks have talked to Darren Aronofsky, Ben Affleck, Matt Reeves and Tony Scott.
The job was so coveted that even Robert Zemeckis, retired to the world of performance capture, considered returning to live-action filmmaking in order to nab the gig.

A new Superman movie is one of the studio’s top priorities, not only since it serves as linchpin for their line of DC superhero-based films, but especially since Warners needs to be in production on a new Superman movie by 2011 or risk losing certain copyrights to the heirs of creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Seigel. (That litigation is still pending.)
Nolan, who revived Batman, teamed up with David Goyer for a new a way to revive the last son of Krypton. Despite grossing $200 million domestically, the last movie, 2006’s “Superman Returns,” was considered a disappointment and a hoped-for franchise launch never flew off.

Snyder_Zack_ab Part of the problem stems from Superman’s classic comic book characteristics: The character for decades was a beacon for positive characteristics and his stories usually painted in black and white, so from a point of view of a certain segment, he was not hip enough for a time that prefers its heroes more morally ambiguous and drawn with tones of gray.

Goyer is writing the script, which is rumored to have, like “Superman Returns,” a Richard Donner Superman connection. In the movie’s case, it’s a villain connection: General Zod.

Nolan is producing with his wife and producing partner Emma Thomas, along with Charles Roven, and Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder’s wife and partner.

Snyder, repped by CAA, is one of Warners favorite filmmakers, ever since he directed the surprise smash “300,” the adaptation of the Frank Miller comic book. He followed that up with “Watchmen,” the adaptation of the seminal Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons miniseries, and is now putting on the final touches on his original work “Suckerpunch,” which is slated to open March 25, 2011.

Snyder just made his animated feature debut with “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.” The movie opened softly but is generating strong word-of-mouth, having fallen only 32% in its second week.

Because Nolan was godfathering “Superman,” it initially was though that any filmmaker coming on baord would be someone who would be more of a mentee in a mentor-style relationship. Snyder, however, brings not only box-office clout but also, like Nolan, a reputation for being a visionary.

Snyder, who told Heat Vision that he was “psyched” about the gig, played down potential class differences.

“In the initial meetings, he’s been super amzaingly smart and also amazingly kind, filmmaker-to-filmmaker,” he said of Nolan. “I have great respect for him. The process has been amazing so far, and it looks like nothing but pluses.”

Snyder first met with Nolan about a month ago, and while he didn’t do any dog-and-pony show, “I defintely expressed my love for the character and interest in seeing him treated right.”

Added Snyder: “The character deserves to be loved. It’s his time”

The director said he and the movie’s makers would work on the script a little bit before jumping to the next stage.

“We’re moving quick,” he said.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I liked Dawn of the Dead as horror and 300 as comedy, and I never saw Watchmen. I'm going with cautious optimism.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 am
Post Re: Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman.
I'm real excited for Sucker Punch, not so sure about Superman though, Superman Retuns just left me cold and did almost nothing for me, so I hope that the new film goes in a very different direction from SR.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I'm real excited for Sucker Punch, not so sure about Superman though, Superman Retuns just left me cold and did almost nothing for me, so I hope that the new film goes in a very different direction from SR.

I also wasn't wild about Superman Returns, but I have broader doubts about the viability of Superman. And I don't like Zach Snyder's approach, at least from what little (300) I've seen. So far I haven't seen him demonstrate anything other than the ability to throw stylized violence on screen.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:43 pm
Ken wrote:
I'm not sure how to feel about this. I liked Dawn of the Dead as horror and 300 as comedy, and I never saw Watchmen. I'm going with cautious optimism.

Good. That makes two of...wait...you said cautious optimism? No, it's just you Ken. Snyder has a few technical merits but I don't think he's a very good director at all. I'm surprised about the "smart" comment in the article too. The Watchmen adaptation struck me as the work of someone who didn't fully grasp the source material.

This is only good news if you like to see Superman fly in slow motion and then fly really quickly and then in slow motion. I'll watch the movie no matter who directs it but this doesn't sound too much better than Joel Schumacher.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:02 pm
I'm cautiously optimistic because I have no idea what Snyder is going to do with it. I knew exactly what he was going to do with Watchmen, which is why I never bothered to see it.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:47 pm
This is the same superman that Chris and Jonathan Nolan are Producing and "Overseeing" and David Goyer is writing. I've also heard some rumors floating around that Jon Hamm is the front runner to star. I've got high in the sky apple piiiiiiiieeeaaaiiiiiieeee hopes for this though I don't have the extreme fandom of Superman or incredible back knowledge of the character that you do Ken.

When I originally heard about the project, I was hoping that they would do the 'Death of Superman' arc. I don't know what their intentions with this property are, if it would be a triliogy or one shot, but to me that seems to be the source material that most casual fans want to see. I could be speaking just for myself though.

Last edited by stiefmo on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:57 pm
firefly wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I also wasn't wild about Superman Returns, but I have broader doubts about the viability of Superman. And I don't like Zach Snyder's approach, at least from what little (300) I've seen. So far I haven't seen him demonstrate anything other than the ability to throw stylized violence on screen.

At the very least, we can all be happy that Superman Returns isn't Superman III or IV...*shudder*

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 pm
Ken wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic because I have no idea what Snyder is going to do with it. I knew exactly what he was going to do with Watchmen, which is why I never bothered to see it.

I actually have a bit of optimism, because this is the kind of film that should work to Snyder's strength as a director. We'll see in a couple of years, though...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 pm
Not much of a fan of Superman at all, but I've enjoyed all of Synder's films on a visceral level and I expect the same here.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm
Patrick wrote:
firefly wrote:
Vexer wrote:

At the very least, we can all be happy that Superman Returns isn't Superman III or IV...*shudder*

To be honest, i'd actually rather watch III or IV again then Returns.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Good. That makes two of...wait...you said cautious optimism? No, it's just you Ken. Snyder has a few technical merits but I don't think he's a very good director at all. I'm surprised about the "smart" comment in the article too. The Watchmen adaptation struck me as the work of someone who didn't fully grasp the source material.

Frankly Ed, The Watchman film was the work of someone who didn’t fully grasp the source material, no need to qualify your statement. And arguably Synder's movie tried to tell a narrative that didn’t fit comfortably in the medium of film (despite the fact that the comic borrowed a great deal from cinema).

That said, we really shouldn’t be comparing the task of adapting Watchmen into a film with adapting Superman. The two projects are on vastly different scales with vastly different problems and difficulties. For instance, I’m not sure a great deal of analytical intelligence is needed to make a decent Superman film. At any rate, I’m optimistic enough to hope that Synder’s technical merits combined with Nolan’s spiffy production values will be enough to produce a suitably entertaining popcorn movie.

But yeah, let's hope Synder avoids the temptation to construct another slow motion action scene.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm
stiefmo wrote:
I've also heard some rumors floating around that Jon Hamm is the front runner to star.

Jon Hamm is Clive-Owen-as-007 levels of perfect for Superman. Do things this perfect ever actually happen?

Count me optimistic. I thought Superman Returns was ok, but got a little worried when the success of Dark Knight triggered all that "dark Superman movie" talk. Maybe post-Iron Man it'll be easier to see their way through to a breezy, fun Superman movie that avoids the emo failings of Returns.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:06 am
I don't think anyone has taken a Superman movie in the right direction yet. I hope he gets the same treatment Batman did.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:29 am
Bones wrote:
Jon Hamm is Clive-Owen-as-007 levels of perfect for Superman.
He's a little too old, and has said as much in response to the (so far unsubstantiated) rumors. Superman, like Batman, is ambiguously 30. Hamm looks a little too close to 40.

For what it's worth, the first time I ever watched Mad Men, my reaction to Hamm was, "Wow. He looks like an exact mix of Steve Vai and Superman."

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm
Nick cage could be superman.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 pm
Ratel wrote:
That said, we really shouldn’t be comparing the task of adapting Watchmen into a film with adapting Superman. The two projects are on vastly different scales with vastly different problems and difficulties. For instance, I’m not sure a great deal of analytical intelligence is needed to make a decent Superman film. At any rate, I’m optimistic enough to hope that Synder’s technical merits combined with Nolan’s spiffy production values will be enough to produce a suitably entertaining popcorn movie.

But yeah, let's hope Synder avoids the temptation to construct another slow motion action scene.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very pleased if the film ends up being a good one. At this point I just don't share the optimism of some of the Reelviewers. Snyder has used the slow-mo in his last 3 pictures (which includes an animated picture about owls) so I imagine that he'll use it here too.

Snyder was recently interviewed by the AV Club (this is pre-Superman announcement). The interview was pretty interesting:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/zack-snyder,45492/

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 pm
I am only optimistic because I don't know what will happen and I'd rather hope for a good movie than dread a bad one.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:39 pm
I don't see any problem with slo-mo, I can dela with that just fine, i'll be happy as long there's no shaky-cam directing.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:10 pm
Snyder has a very good eye for visuals, albeit fairly empty visuals. His films all look great, there just isn't all that much to them. Granted, I haven't seen the owl movie, but the rest of his work often feels very shallow. I really like his Dawn of the Dead remake, largely for that reason. He dumbed down the original and made it all kinds of stylish. That's a pretty cool idea. However, since then, he's gone on to make more ambitious, challenging fare. That's noble, but he has largely failed. 300 was borderline awful, and Watchmen was about as attached and far removed from the source material that a movie can be. Still, both films look great. They were just poorly crafted and felt rather empty.

If he matures as a storyteller and filmmaker, and doesn't concentrate solely on his visuals looking "cool", he probably has a great film in him.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 am
I'm not sure 300 can be described as ambitious, at least in the sense of trying to accomplish something untried. It was patterned almost entirely upon the book, which means that the story is already almost entirely tried. If there's any challenge in that, it's seeing how close to the book he can get without just distributing copies of it to moviegoers and having them read it. I can't speak for sure about Watchmen, but I'm sure it's a similar situation.

Here's the thing, though: Nolan is producing. I don't know how much influence he intends to have on this project, but with terms like "grandfather" getting thrown around, it looks like he's going to be pretty close to it. His ideas may very well seep deeply into this project.

Nolan is a director with a brain, but not much of an eye. Perhaps deputizing a director like Snyder, who has a good eye but not much of a brain, is exactly what he needs. We can only hope that Snyder is confident enough to put his own talents to use without sticking too rigorously to whatever Nolan and Goyer give him.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next