Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:02 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Greater Horror? The Grammys Vs. The Academy Awards 
Post Re: The Greater Horror? The Grammys Vs. The Academy Awards
all of you are silly to dismiss Robert Plant and Allison Krauss' brilliant album Raising Sand. Silly.

That's all I gotta say.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:44 pm
Joseph wrote:
all of you are silly to dismiss Robert Plant and Allison Krauss' brilliant album Raising Sand. Silly.

That's all I gotta say.

Hey! I never said that. hahaha. I've never even heard it.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:58 pm
I haven't heard it either. I love Robert Plant though, so I'd be willing to give it a listen.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 pm
Joseph wrote:

That's all I gotta say.

100% agree with Joseph. It's rarely out of the most recently listened albums on my iTunes.
However, it's not Robert Plant of old :-)
Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 pm
I saw the video for "Gone Gone Gone" From Plant/Kraus and Plant's voice is so buried that I could barely hear him. It's just not right, it's like Bizarro world but Alison Kraus is a stone-cold fox.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm
You really think the Grammys picked 'Raising Sand' for it's quality? It was selected because there are feelings of warmth in the musical field for Robert Plant, and the mellow, laid-back tone of the album makes it an inoffensive choice. It is an exceptional record in many ways - but Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' was a better, not to mention edgier record in almost every way. I'm not letting an awards show off the hook for picking a good album that will, in all likeliness, fade from the musical radar quickly after it's win, and giving it an award. This isn't difficult to do. To actually pick a record of singular substance, well - they haven't done this since the 80's.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
You really think the Grammys picked 'Raising Sand' for it's quality? It was selected because there are feelings of warmth in the musical field for Robert Plant, and the mellow, laid-back tone of the album makes it an inoffensive choice. It is an exceptional record in many ways - but Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' was a better, not to mention edgier record in almost every way. I'm not letting an awards show off the hook for picking a good album that will, in all likeliness, fade from the musical radar quickly after it's win, and giving it an award. This isn't difficult to do. To actually pick a record of singular substance, well - they haven't done this since the 80's.

I don't know about In Rainbows, I just couldn't get into it which really hasn't happened with any other Radiohead songs. But then again, the marketing thing for In Rainbows was absolute genius.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 pm
Music is so difficult!
Tastes are so varied.
Try putting a playlist together for people visiting your house.
One persons Plant & Kraus is another's Oakenfold
Very difficult
Rob

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I do honestly believe if every member of both Academys was moved to a country in North-Eastern Asia and a genocide was committed, it would hardly make page 4 of the dailies.

Just me, just me.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:10 pm
I used to watch all the major awards shows but now I'm down to the Oscars, Emmys and maybe the Much Music Video Awards. The Grammys are so pointless and I don't care who wins. I used to watch for the performances but even those aren't enough to get me to watch.

I also couldn't believe the Grammys were three and a half hours long. What did they do, show all 2000 catergories?

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm
The Grammys win every time. I predicted this year's debacle when the noms were announced, so I was not shocked by Alison Krauss winning key awards when others were far more deserving. I wouldn't be surprised if, five years from now, the Grammys and Oscars are on a channel like USA or Bravo, following the path the Miss America pageant took, since so few people care to have their time wasted by a farce.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:07 pm
Joseph wrote:

That's all I gotta say.

We're not dismissing it. We're arguing that the Grammys always tend to nominate a more obscure album that meets the musical demands of the Academy elite, while giving "courtesy nods" to rappers like Lil Wayne, expecting they'll be happy to be nominated. The other four albums in Album of the Year and the songs from Record of the Year all had more impact on the national music scene than the Krauss / Plant songs / album. But I knew they'd give that album the award, the same way they gave Steely Dan the award in '05 (?) ... and don't forget the Metallica snub in '88 for Jethro Tull.

They're ten steps behind the public at every turn. No wonder a guy like Kanye gets frustrated. If you continually nominate them and then pass them over for more questionably impacting releases, eventually artists will mutiny, and fans will say screw it.

At least that's my opinion ...

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Both are awful. I love music and movies and dislike them both.
They are more about TV ratings and red carpets than anything else these days.
and they are both failing in the ratings as well.

I am far more interested in James's and other critics musings at the end of the year than the Oscars

Rob

Didn't watch the Grammys, although my wife recorded them and pulled me into the room after they were over to show me Neil Diamond and Zooey Deschanel.

I'm toying with the idea of actually watching the Oscars live and posting random thoughts to a forum during the telecast. Don't know if I can deal with watching the Oscars in real-time, though.

Ooh, a live blog ... I like the idea! That could be a really really fun thread, man, and might make me want to watch too, to add my own pithy remarks to yours ;)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 pm
Site Admin

jksander wrote:
Ooh, a live blog ... I like the idea! That could be a really really fun thread, man, and might make me want to watch too, to add my own pithy remarks to yours ;)

I haven't decided yet. Do I want to give up four hours of next Sunday evening so I can do something live. Or do I want to have the freedom to zip through the Oscars in about an hour using my DVR, then post some thoughts after? Both have their merits. I probably won't make a final decision until next Saturday.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
I guess I am in the minority in that I still think Oscar nominates and awards the most deserving movies the majority of the time...The Grammy's on the other hand just award non-threatening commercial albums..and ignore the truly great stuff....but The Grammys also have a much harder job since there are so many different genres of music...what's great to me would be deplorable to others and vice versa..so I guess what I am saying is that it is not fair to compare the two since it is an apples to oranges comparison

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Patrick wrote:
The Grammy's for the sheer fact that there is even more useless awards than the Oscars. I mean do we care about best Classical album? Best New-Age? Best engineered? Best album art?

Hell, Porcupine Tree won "best surround sound album" or some nonsense like that. I mean, its good that they got recognized, but why is there seriously a category like that?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Let's not forget when they gave a Steely Dan record from after the 70's an Album of the Year statue over Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP'.

I don't generally like rap and never understood the appeal of Eminem, so I'm not in the position to rate his music.

Music is always a matter of taste and from my point of view Two Against Nature deserved to win best album. Sure, it's 70s fusion with more modern recording equipment, but it's also a work of genius. The title track alone blows me away every time I hear it.

But Grammys have been a bit stange for year. But maybe it's just me, because I don't like most of the new music.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 am
mailedbypostman wrote:
Hell, Porcupine Tree won "best surround sound album" or some nonsense like that. I mean, its good that they got recognized, but why is there seriously a category like that?

ha. i remember that, on porcupine's website, they even put that in the news section or something.

and totally agreed. what they mean by it is, best-album-that-utilizes-a-surround-sound-setup. which is just like an engineering award rather than one of music.

as far as grammy's are concerned, id like to remind everyone:

homer: i've never won anything. i want an award.
lisa: but you won a grammy.
homer: i want an award that means something.

PAUSE
the opinion of the characters is not in any way similar to those of the producers of this show, who do not consider a grammy to be an award at all.

gotta love simpsons from the 90's.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:09 am
aameen wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
ha. i remember that, on porcupine's website, they even put that in the news section or something.

and totally agreed. what they mean by it is, best-album-that-utilizes-a-surround-sound-setup. which is just like an engineering award rather than one of music.

Aha. So they recognize Steven Wilson as a brilliant engineer. :roll: Guess you can't win 'em all sometimes.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 pm
In hate to admit it, but half of the show I was looking at Danny Boyle and kept thinking he looked like Moz in a tuxedo smiling, and my mind just kept telling me 'Nah, he wouldn't be wearing a smile'.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2