Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
i almost always have a laptop/backpack with me when i take my seat, which they never check. there is always something to eat inside it.

AND if that wasnt enough - i once halfway through a movie(resident evil 3 i think) went outside to a kfc and brought the damn thing inside. i made sure the guys saw me staring at the huge 'no outside foods/drinks' sign as i passed it.

its about the way you carry yourself.

-------------
ON TOPIC

cheaper tickets.

hell, im king - free tickets. they get money based on quality.

who/what judges that quality - no freakin idea.
im king, not the R&D...

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:36 pm
Critic

aameen wrote:
ON TOPIC

cheaper tickets.

Unless you live in a major city, I think ticket prices are very reasonable. Compared to almost all other forms of entertainment, movies are an astonishingly cheap way to spend 2 hours

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
aameen wrote:
ON TOPIC

cheaper tickets.

Unless you live in a major city, I think ticket prices are very reasonable. Compared to almost all other forms of entertainment, movies are an astonishingly cheap way to spend 2 hours

Yeah, where I live, tickets are 6.50 for all showtimes before 7.00 PM, showtimes after 7 are 8.50, reasonable enough. However one thing I would mandate lower prices on is concessions.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 pm
Yeah, I don't like having to pay $11.00 for a ticket during the evening. Thank Jesus for $6.00 Early Bird specials. (But then fuck GA for making me work from 8:45-5:00.)

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:04 pm
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, where I live, tickets are 6.50 for all showtimes before 7.00 PM, showtimes after 7 are 8.50, reasonable enough. However one thing I would mandate lower prices on is concessions.
Certainly. I read an article a while back that calculated the price markup on movie popcorn: 900%. Would consumers pay for anything else that costs 900% of what it takes to make?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm
I believe that a majority of money a theater takes in is from the concessions; most of the money from the actual ticket sales goes to the studio, not the cinema. I generally don't get anything besides popcorn and a drink anyways and if that is helping keep the studio open for business then I'm more then happy to pay for it.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:38 pm
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Certainly. I read an article a while back that calculated the price markup on movie popcorn: 900%. Would consumers pay for anything else that costs 900% of what it takes to make?

iPods? A magazine?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:

If consumers don't like it, they don't have to. Like me. I haven't bought a concession in a theater for, I dunno, 6 years?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 am
aameen wrote:
cheaper tickets.

I'm with aameen on cheaper ticket prices. I don't know how expensive they are in India but over here a ticket can cost more than half the DAILY minimum wage. There are a few cinemas that still show double features at much cheaper prices but they're a little shady. The last time I went to the toilet I could have sworn that I wandered into the bathroom from the first Saw flick. Dim flickering lighting and all.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
aameen wrote:
cheaper tickets.

I'm with aameen on cheaper ticket prices. I don't know how expensive they are in India but over here a ticket can cost more than half the DAILY minimum wage. There are a few cinemas that still show double features at much cheaper prices but they're a little shady. The last time I went to the toilet I could have sworn that I wandered into the bathroom from the first Saw flick. Dim flickering lighting and all.

quite cheap. when compared to the US. but not cheap enough. a trip to the multiplex would, on direct conversion - would cost around half of the prices quoted here. but then again - they do make more money, americans. on direct conversion - the minimum wage in washington, i see, from 9 to 5 makes more than most tenured college professors in india. meh....way of the world.

i can afford more than a couple of trips to the big screen every month. no biggie, really. bigger problem is having quality films on it worth watching.

then again, is anything cheap to a college student? :D
if it is, its not cheap enough.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:53 am
JamesKunz wrote:
If consumers don't like it, they don't have to. Like me. I haven't bought a concession in a theater for, I dunno, 6 years?
I doubt it's something that most consumers think about. Perhaps an awareness campaign is in order.

Never mind that movie theaters pump their full of unneeded fat, salt, and oil, turning one of our healthiest available snack foods into one of the unhealthiest. Maybe the markup is for all the crap it takes to turn their popcorn into the greasy little dollops of popcorn-type matter that they turn out to be.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:59 pm
The only concessions I buy are Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and beer. The ice cream is a bit expensive, but very yummy and worth it, and the beer is normal price. Soda and popcorn are just too expensive for what you get. Beer is generally cheaper that soft drinks over here anyway. :D

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:00 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
aameen wrote:
cheaper tickets.

For some reason, this is the post that makes me want to visit your country. XD

In other news, I have a rule! I don't like it when screening rooms have an aisle in the middle of the damn room. People want to sit there! No one wants to sit on the sides, so put the aisles there. Yeesh, that's one thing multiplexes have over art theaters.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 pm
MunichMan wrote:
The only concessions I buy are Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and beer. The ice cream is a bit expensive, but very yummy and worth it, and the beer is normal price. Soda and popcorn are just too expensive for what you get. Beer is generally cheaper that soft drinks over here anyway. :D

Now that's something that would be cool. Buying a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer.

They don't have that as far as I know in the states.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 pm
ram1312 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Now that's something that would be cool. Buying a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer.

Even if they did, imagine what the mark-up would be on a single glass...

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm
Critic

Pedro wrote:
other news, I have a rule! I don't like it when screening rooms have an aisle in the middle of the damn room. People want to sit there! No one wants to sit on the sides, so put the aisles there. Yeesh, that's one thing multiplexes have over art theaters.

Excellent rule sir! I hate aisles in the middle because, as you said, I always want to sit in the center of the theater. Ugh thanks for raising my ire.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:11 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Only bottles. Nothing like sucking down a nice Augustiner while watching a movie.

Which reminds me, I have to go to Oktoberfest again tomorrow. :D

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Only bottles. Nothing like sucking down a nice Augustiner while watching a movie.

Which reminds me, I have to go to Oktoberfest again tomorrow. :D

What a dick. Thanks DoubleM.

No but really, I was referencing a film Munich reminding me of that made me think...wow, that would be cool, beer at the theatre. I know the markup might be crazy...but isn't it already at the restaurants, bars, pubs, you go to?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 pm
I can think of a few movie experiences that would have gone down a little more easily if accompanied by a Sapient Trip Ale.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:04 pm
ram1312 wrote:

:lol: We should all quote Pulp Fiction at least once a day.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:14 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next