September 11, 2010: "The Least Wonderful Time of the Year" 
Site Admin

Post September 11, 2010: "The Least Wonderful Time of the Year"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Post Re: September 11, 2010: "The Least Wonderful Time of the Year"
In regards to the first part of your article James, I feel exactly the same way. I always hated September and distinctly remember thinking wistfully how lucky, in a way, my lawyer father was since for him September was no different than any other month. I longed for the day that I would stop hating September...and then I decided to become a teacher. My fate is sealed.

Though on the plus side, my school district starts in August. That at least enables me to look forward to Labor Day

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:55 pm
9/11 really wasn't too different from most days for me, no one at my school told me what was going on and I didn't ask my parents either, it took me a few days to realize the full magnitude of what had happened that day, and when I did I was sadded but I was mostly greatful that no one I knew died that day. I do however dread September for a different reason, 6 years ago sometime in the 2nd or 3rd week of this month, my cousin died in a car crash, and her death STILL haunts me to this very day whereas 9/11 isn't on my mind nearly as often. Also I care share James thoughts on not wanting to work, I had a few temporary non-paying jobs as part of a school-district program, but to this day I have not had one paying job, and with the economy the way it is now I probably won't have one for quite awhile.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:32 pm
Every kid dislikes September because of Back to School (not to be confused with the Rodney Dangerfield movie), but it's funny; once you're done with school, there's a lot to enjoy. I welcome September because it's the end of sticky-hot weather and the birth of football season! :D

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 pm
My father worked at the twin towers and was killed in the attacks. It was by far the worst day of my life.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:47 pm
Producer

I love September because of my birthday and the return of tv shows from their summer hiatus. Great weather too.

Of course I understand how people hate it because of 9/11. I do have family in NYC but they do/did not live near the towers, fortunately.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:31 pm
Director

For some reason, I've never felt terribly attached to the events of 9/11/01. I don't say that to be offensive, but just as a statement. I've never felt much emotional attachment to the day like many others do, and I can't really explain it. It just is.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm
I slept through 9/11. I woke up at about noon eastern time, about 11:00 our time. I was working at that time from 3:00 to 11:00 in the evening, so I had no reason to get up so early. Turn on the TV and I was confused about why it was on Fox News, I thought i had left it on the regular Fox channel. So after a few seconds they said that the Twin Towers were destroyed. My first thought "I didn't know they were scheduled for demolition." Last time I sleep through a major historical event.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
For some reason, I've never felt terribly attached to the events of 9/11/01. I don't say that to be offensive, but just as a statement. I've never felt much emotional attachment to the day like many others do, and I can't really explain it. It just is.

There's nothing wrong with that, I don't have a very emotional attachment to it either and i'm not sure why either, I guess I just felt lucky that no one ?I knew perished on that day.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:17 pm
Site Admin

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I have found that (in general) the farther away an individual was from lower Manhattan, either geographically or mentally, the less of a lasting impact the event had. The more familiar one was with the Twin Towers as an actual building rather than just an image on a postcard or a TV screen, the greater the shock. Beyond what I wrote in the blog, I worked in a high rise is Piscataway, NJ from 1999 through 2004. That's close enough straight-line to lower Manhattan to be able to see the Twin Towers on a clear day. So, nearly every weekday for about two years, I'd walk past the window and glance at the WTC. I was in Toronto on 9/11 but my co-workers related how everyone stood by that window and watched all morning. It was jarring to see the skyline upon my return to work later in the month.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
I woke up some time between 9 and 10, and actually tried not to think about it (watched some videos). I just felt numb disbelief.

I have difficulty imagining what it was like to be watching news about the plane hitting the North Tower (when it was still widely presume to be an accident), and then, depending on where the camera on the network was sitting, seeing the second plane hit on live TV.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
My father worked at the twin towers and was killed in the attacks. It was by far the worst day of my life.

I lost my father at an early age, you have my sympathy. Hope all is well today.
Rob

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:48 am
I almost hate to say this, but as a 'foreigner" it's interesting how a single strike into the US causes so much angst.

I lived through the IRA bombings of London. My parents lived through the German bombings of London

Maybe it's that the US has not been attacked very often on home soil. For us Europeans it's an almost regular event.

For me September is all about my kids returning to school, crap movies, Arsenal once again starting an assault on West London, Manchester and Europe.

Rob

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:54 am
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
Maybe it's that the US has not been attacked very often on home soil. For us Europeans it's an almost regular event.

We're protected by two massive oceans. We share the largest non-guarded border in the world with our Northern neighbor, and everyone in our Southern neighbor wants to live in our country, not attack it. We have a deep, abiding sense of security, heightened by the fact that there hahve been no attacks on our home soil since The War of 1812 (with the exception of the little-discussed minor Japanese bombing of Oregon in World War II).

So when suddenly 3000 Americans are dying on our own soil, it indeed causes a lot of "angst."

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:04 pm
Assistant Director

My sympathies go out to the posters above. They are indeed right in a lot of ways.

My recollection of 9/11 was this: I had my first period French class, and everything appeared to be going on as normal. But when I walked into my second period study hall, I found everyone watching the TV, and that's when I saw what happened. I missed the second plane hit as it happened, but I saw the first tower as it began to fall. Everyone wanted to watch it throughout the day, but the teachers turned it off to make sure that they taught us something. Not very popular with us (it's not every day that there's an excuse for both teachers and students to stop class and watch TV for a life changing event), but in the end nothing much happened until the second tower fell later in the day.

On a different note, has anyone noticed that JB's ReelThoughts have become more depressing? I'm not talking cynicism (which is often what makes him so funny :P ), but something more melancholy. While of all his posts this one probably has the most reason to be somber, but I still wish for a viciously funny review or a scathing attack on something (the MPAA is a good one, although those have been more angry than funny). Hate mail is great, but as he said, all of the hate that he gets is on the message boards (I haven't found any...probably because people are going to be held accountable to everyone who posts here). Still, doesn't he have some good ones saved?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:11 am
Profile WWW
JamesKunz wrote:
So when suddenly 3000 Americans are dying on our own soil, it indeed causes a lot of "angst."

It still amazes me that less than 3000 people died that day in those buildings after 9am.

I watched the whole thing from start to finish, save a half hour of mad driving home from work to try to find my wife who had a job interview in Hoboken that day.

PS. September is a WONDERFUL month weather-wise, the trees will start turning and apples and pumpkins start getting picked. Autumn is THE MAIN REASON to live in the Northeast US!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:04 am
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I'm the same. I guess living in rural Hampshire just makes NYC seem a million miles away.

Even on my one and only trip to the city, I was not nearly as affected as travelling through London in the week following the '05 bombings. It was so much like the London you see in 'Children Of Men' and that was far worse for me, personally.

If everything goes to plan, September will be a very special month for me as it will be the month in which my daughter is born. 5 days from now hopefully!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:31 pm