Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7383
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
ram1312 wrote:
I guess I had issue with the "within the first 20 minutes" part of your statement. But I guess, there can be exceptions...eh King?


Certainly. Having "Cloverfield" pop up in big bold letters can spoil the effect of the 1st person photography, for example

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
The film is in advertisements, on the marquee, on the DVD cover, etc. If you honestly don't know what film you are watching, why are you there? After doing a quick, informal inventory of my brain (very quick process, actually), with no actual films coming to mind, I get the impression that I enjoy a far greater proportion of films that do not include the title at the beginning than those that do.

I'm still waiting for a good argument WHY the title needs to be there. "Because books do it" doesn't cut it for me.


Why are you being dismissive and reductive, Munich? The point of the title isn't to tell the ignorant what movie they're watching, and you know it. Also, my argument wasn't "because books do it," but rather than it's impossible to imagine a book without a title on it because titles are integral to books, as they should be with films.

The title is part of the film. Advertising has nothing to do with the film. Advertising is about commerce. But I view films as, well, not to put a pretentious point on it, art. I don't give a shit about how many TV spots told people about the movie's title: the title is an integral aspect of the film. It should be shown.


Sorry if I came across that was, James. It wasn't intentional. LImited time = limited nuance in Internet posts, I guess. :)

I enjoy not being distracted by a title, or anything else at the beginning of a film. I would rather they put everything in the end credits, which they already do.

On a side note, I always sit through the credits. Not only to see if I recognize anybody, and to see all the actors involved, but it always gives me an appreciation of just how much effort/people it takes to make even a small film.


Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 am
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
MunichMan wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
The film is in advertisements, on the marquee, on the DVD cover, etc. If you honestly don't know what film you are watching, why are you there? After doing a quick, informal inventory of my brain (very quick process, actually), with no actual films coming to mind, I get the impression that I enjoy a far greater proportion of films that do not include the title at the beginning than those that do.

I'm still waiting for a good argument WHY the title needs to be there. "Because books do it" doesn't cut it for me.


Why are you being dismissive and reductive, Munich? The point of the title isn't to tell the ignorant what movie they're watching, and you know it. Also, my argument wasn't "because books do it," but rather than it's impossible to imagine a book without a title on it because titles are integral to books, as they should be with films.

The title is part of the film. Advertising has nothing to do with the film. Advertising is about commerce. But I view films as, well, not to put a pretentious point on it, art. I don't give a shit about how many TV spots told people about the movie's title: the title is an integral aspect of the film. It should be shown.


Sorry if I came across that was, James. It wasn't intentional. LImited time = limited nuance in Internet posts, I guess. :)

I enjoy not being distracted by a title, or anything else at the beginning of a film. I would rather they put everything in the end credits, which they already do.

On a side note, I always sit through the credits. Not only to see if I recognize anybody, and to see all the actors involved, but it always gives me an appreciation of just how much effort/people it takes to make even a small film.
Well it's possible to realize that without sitting through the end credits, i'll just look at a films full cast and crew page on IMDB.


Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
I haven't seen anyone write much about product placement in movies. That really grinds my gears.

It doesn't bother me much if, in a movie, a guy's in an airport and he walks into a McDonald's as part of the plot. There are McDonald's in airports, so it isn't entirely out of place. I'm talking about blatant, obvious product placement, where the product is put in the movie just to show off the product. The people who do this need to die.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I haven't seen anyone write much about product placement in movies. That really grinds my gears.

It doesn't bother me much if, in a movie, a guy's in an airport and he walks into a McDonald's as part of the plot. There are McDonald's in airports, so it isn't entirely out of place. I'm talking about blatant, obvious product placement, where the product is put in the movie just to show off the product. The people who do this need to die.

You mean like that Lexus ad in Minority Report?


Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:31 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7383
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I haven't seen anyone write much about product placement in movies. That really grinds my gears.

It doesn't bother me much if, in a movie, a guy's in an airport and he walks into a McDonald's as part of the plot. There are McDonald's in airports, so it isn't entirely out of place. I'm talking about blatant, obvious product placement, where the product is put in the movie just to show off the product. The people who do this need to die.


Actually I think this is something that people set their "bullshit detectors" way too high on. Remember that in real life we use the names of products in daily speech a fucking ton. I would never say to my wife that I desperately need a cola or carbonated beverage. I would tell her how much I need a Coke. Then I would mention how much I needed some McDonalds right now, not just a hamburger. But if someone in a movie mentions how delicious they find Subway, for some reason it strikes us as very forced, even though that's what we would do in real life.

That said, there is the occasional movie in which it's really blatant. The Island, for one.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Yeah, it doesn't bother me too much either. And in fact, one of my favorite authors uses brand names a lot because his characters are really particular, ocd even, so it makes sense for characters to say products by name.


Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:07 pm
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
If you guys want a good laugh, check out the Dark Lord's review of the Sinbad movie, Houseguest. There's a funny little paragraph in there that's salient to the current conversation.


Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:32 pm
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Ken wrote:
neco82 wrote:
5) Any Superman film that gets made WILL NOT make any reference whatsoever to the Richard Donner film, will have a villain other than Lex Luthor and will feature Supes actually fighting someone, rather than lifting giant rocks.
The Donner film, which features Lex Luthor and in which Superman does not physically fight someone, is far and away the best Superman feature yet made, and it is unsurprising that many other Superman media adaptations have tried to incorporate elements of it--some to good effect, some not so much.

It's also funny that people think a Super-brawl is the key to a good Superman story. I can think of several excellent Superman stories off the top of my head in which no punches are thrown, and I can think of far too many mediocre ones in which many punches are thrown. Superman is a fighter, but he's so many more things than that. In a genre that is defined almost exclusively by hero/villain fisticuffs, I think a Super-brawl is the last thing these movies need. For christ's sake, these people can come up with a better, more novel idea than that.


Like you said, novel idea.

For the record, I like Superman Returns... Brandon Routh made a fine Clark Kent, I liked Spacey as Luthor, and I must be the only one I know who didn't have a problem with Kate Bosworth as Lois.

However, the one flaw that movie had is that it was waaaay too similar to Richard Donner's film. And now they're talking about rebooting the franchise YET AGAIN, and I bet that whoever decides to make it will, once again, try to copy Donner's film one more time.

Which means we will get: half the film devoted to Clark's upbringing in Kansas (I'm sorry, but Superman is such a pop culture icon that half the world already knows his backstory), Clark acting like a doofus around the Daily Planet, Lois getting saved from some huge disaster by Superman, Lex Luthor involved in some real estate scam while surrounded by idiot henchmen, and so on.

That's what I'm railing against, because really, there is so much that can be done with Superman... how about a backstory on Krypton? The Death? Supes has a pretty cool rogues gallery: there's Brainiac, Metallo, the Parasite, etc. so maybe matching him up against someone other than Luthor YET AGAIN would be great.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:23 am
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Shade wrote:
You lose a bit of credibility here when you say that Walt effin' Becker is more talented than Shyamalan. Old Dogs and Wild Hogs are two of the absolute worst feature films of all time. Not a worthwhile millisecond in either of them. Those two alone place Becker very high on the worst-directors-ever list. Shyamalan is far from perfect, but he shows bits of talent in some shots and storytelling techniques (even though many of his stories are lousy). Becker's work honestly makes me feel like he's trying to make the shittiest movie ever made. Not once does he even pretend to do anything interesting. An orangutan would have directed those films more competently.



Harsh words, but well deserved.

Old Dogs was such a HUGE pile of shite... I felt bad for everyone involved. And I couldn't believe how millions of dollars were wasted on making something so awful, when they could have been used for something far more useful, like building a school for kids who can't read good and want to learn to do other stuff good, too.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:27 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
JamesKunz wrote:
Actually I think this is something that people set their "bullshit detectors" way too high on. Remember that in real life we use the names of products in daily speech a fucking ton. I would never say to my wife that I desperately need a cola or carbonated beverage. I would tell her how much I need a Coke. Then I would mention how much I needed some McDonalds right now, not just a hamburger. But if someone in a movie mentions how delicious they find Subway, for some reason it strikes us as very forced, even though that's what we would do in real life.

That said, there is the occasional movie in which it's really blatant. The Island, for one.


As I said, if a brand name blends into the background of a scene, or a character walks by a soda machine or something like that, it's not a big deal to me. The things that occur in everyday life I accept naturally in movies, even if they do involve seeing a corporate logo.

You mentioned Michael Bay; to me that's the prime example of product placement that I just can't stand. He'll not only shoot a car, but shoot the brand emblem on the car from 27,000 different angles. It's ridiculous and it's overkill.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:54 am
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Particularly in Bad Boys 2 when a Hummer H2 practically drives through an entire village.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
spencerworth34 wrote:
Particularly in Bad Boys 2 when a Hummer H2 practically drives through an entire village.


That's what I'm talking about. Bay goes to great pains to let everyone know YOU'RE LOOKING AT A HUMMER H2! instead of just shooting the scene. I just can't stand that stuff.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:
Particularly in Bad Boys 2 when a Hummer H2 practically drives through an entire village.


That's what I'm talking about. Bay goes to great pains to let everyone know YOU'RE LOOKING AT A HUMMER H2! instead of just shooting the scene. I just can't stand that stuff.

Well I don't mind it when Bay uses product placement as his films are far too entertaining for me to really give a damn about that sort of thing, I also don't get why complain about advertising in video games so much either.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:16 pm
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Threeperf35 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
...and what if you got it right? Should I remain silent? :)


Yeah, I forgot to add. Please un-correct (=confirm) me if I'm right 8-) 8-) 8-)


This is way late but my previous post was already meant to act as the confirmation :)

Ken wrote:
My girlfriend and recently visited LA. It was pretty sweet.

One thing we did was check out Grauman's Egyptian Theatre. The movie showing on Saturday was 2001: A Space Odyssey. This was our second opportunity to see it in 70MM, which is a pretty big deal.

During the final section of the film, one member of the audience stood up and began shouting, "Don't sleep!" and "Everybody!" over and over again, turning in circles with his arms out. He was immediately greeted with a chorus of "Sit down!" and "Shut the fuck up!" Initially, the reason for his outburst was unclear, but it soon became apparent that he was in the midst of a good old-fashioned acid freak-out.

Sadly, he did not sit down and shut the fuck up. The yelling and manic whirling continued. Perhaps it was his goal to inspire a crowd to rise around him, which happened. But this crowd included an usher, who demanded that the guy's friends get him under control, several more people who simply gawped, and one fellow who apparently rushed down from the balcony with the sole purpose of punching this guy in the face. (Note: this was as ineffective as it was baffling.)

A few minutes passed, the house lights came up, and the movie stopped. Maybe a dozen people were surrounding this guy, whom, we learned, is named Robert. A few were making an effort to guide him down the aisle to get him out of the theater, but most just stood around saying things like "Get him out of here!" and other such things that a ridiculously unhelpful and penisless person might say.

After about 10 minutes total, the ineffectual group got the guy into the walkway area, while his idiot friend went on and on the whole time: "Come on, Robert, you can walk just fine. Hey, guys, we don't have to do this. He can walk." This was about as helpful as he got.

Eventually, six or so guys got Robert hoisted up, each limb immobilized, and physically carried him out into the lobby, where the police officers (nice response time) were waiting. At this point, knowledge of the situation deteriorates into hearsay. Some say the police tasered him. Some say he quickly aged and transformed into a Star Child. Nobody knows.

The management kindly rewound the film back to before the screaming began, but the experience wasn't quite the same.

Moral of the story: don't drop acid before a movie. It might be barrels of fun for you, but you might just screw it up for everybody else.*

(*Not that the incident wasn't amusing, but I was very glad to have already seen 2001 in 70MM, incident-free, on a previous occasion.)


1. Oh, Holloway! We know you love 2001 and it seems that you love acid, but there's no reason to subject the viewing public to your combined pleasures.

2. This is the second time Ken has seen 2001 on 70mm. I hate Ken. Who's with me?

Ken wrote:
If you guys want a good laugh, check out the Dark Lord's review of the Sinbad movie, Houseguest. There's a funny little paragraph in there that's salient to the current conversation.


I was curious and checked it out. You have to go to the old site though so I'll share the paragraph here:

James 'I Fuck yo' couch' Berardinelli wrote:
However, original intentions aside, it's impossible to deny one of Houseguest's less savory agendas: to act as a one-hundred eight minute commercial for McDonald's. This takes product placement to an obscene level. Scenes occur in front of, in, and around the fast food joint. There's a nostalgia-laced parody of the "You Deserve a Break Today" TV commercials, complete with the jingle. Sinbad takes about one minute placing a food order, checking off half the items on the menu. Characters bond over Big Macs and fries. On and on it goes... It's obvious where the audience is being manipulated to go for a meal after the movie. So, out of spite, I went to Burger King.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:26 pm
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
I'm with you with hating Ken Ed! Granted, I was doing it before it was cool to do so.


Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 pm
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
[quote="ed_metal_head"]
1. Oh, Holloway! We know you love 2001 and it seems that you love acid, but there's no reason to...[quote]

Sheesh I had no idea fellow members were there. I always drop s%€t before a 70mm show from Stanley.

Joking aside. My 70mm experience in Brussels at the Kinepolis was almost life changing.

Rob


Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 am
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
I know cinemas have to protect the interests of concession stands but if I was King of the Movie World I'd allow people to bring in their own food and drinks. I don't know how things are by you, but in these parts the food and drink available isn't something that interests me.

Patrick wrote:
I'm with you with hating Ken Ed! Granted, I was doing it before it was cool to do so.


Like Andy Kaufman, Patrick Stergos is a man before his time.

Robert Holloway wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

1. Oh, Holloway! We know you love 2001 and it seems that you love acid, but there's no reason to...


Sheesh I had no idea fellow members were there. I always drop s%€t before a 70mm show from Stanley.

Joking aside. My 70mm experience in Brussels at the Kinepolis was almost life changing.

Rob


:lol: I laughed out loud. Really. They should make an abbreviation for that.


Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:21 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
ed_metal_head wrote:
I know cinemas have to protect the interests of concession stands but if I was King of the Movie World I'd allow people to bring in their own food and drinks. I don't know how things are by you, but in these parts the food and drink available isn't something that interests me.


I had a friend who just did that anyway. He could sneak anything into the movies: Chinese, a whole pizza, a rack of ribs, a bottle of Jack. Never knew how he was able to do it...

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 am
Profile
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I know cinemas have to protect the interests of concession stands but if I was King of the Movie World I'd allow people to bring in their own food and drinks. I don't know how things are by you, but in these parts the food and drink available isn't something that interests me.


I had a friend who just did that anyway. He could sneak anything into the movies: Chinese, a whole pizza, a rack of ribs, a bottle of Jack. Never knew how he was able to do it...


Sure, a lot of people do it anyway so might as well "legalise it". Rob even takes a bottle of wine!


Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:07 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: patrick and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr