Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Criterion On Sale 
Post Criterion On Sale
Deep Discount DVD (a favorite site of mine) is having a sale on select Criterion DVD sets.

Check it out at http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-DVD-Blu-ray-Back-to-School-Sale.

-Johnny

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 pm
Post Re: Criterion On Sale
johnny larue wrote:
Deep Discount DVD (a favorite site of mine) is having a sale on select Criterion DVD sets.

Check it out at http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-DVD-Blu-ray-Back-to-School-Sale.

-Johnny

Great steer!
I used to buy about 5 discs off them every week
It seems like the whole collection and they are all tax and shipping free.
That was the problem with the 50% off sale at B&N the other month. With tax and shipping it was like 15% off
Rob

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:29 pm
Damn, not again!! I went nuts with the Barnes & Noble sale about a month ago. I'll probably be ordering a few more now...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:35 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Damn, not again!! I went nuts with the Barnes & Noble sale about a month ago. I'll probably be ordering a few more now...

Blonde,
I used to do this on VHS, then laserdisc and then DVD but gave up collecting with my frustration of cynical double dip approaches by studios.
Rob

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:17 am
Oh. Dear. Lord.

NOT AGAIN!!!!

Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I'm limiting myself to two this time around.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am
I'll be ordering the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double package and Knife In The Water.....and probably a couple more. :D

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm
The Barnes & Noble 50% off sale is back, bitches.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1546851&cm_mmc=Image%20Enterainment-_-BN%20Buy%20Button-_-Criterion%20Sale-_-Criterion%20Sale

I believe it lasts until Nov. 21. That's right, 3 weeks to pick and choose which ones you want. Who's getting what? I'm undecided as of yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll at least grab Paths of Glory even though I've never seen it (but it's Kubrick so can I really go wrong?).

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1546851&cm_mmc=Image%20Enterainment-_-BN%20Buy%20Button-_-Criterion%20Sale-_-Criterion%20Sale

I believe it lasts until Nov. 21. That's right, 3 weeks to pick and choose which ones you want. Who's getting what? I'm undecided as of yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll at least grab Paths of Glory even though I've never seen it (but it's Kubrick so can I really go wrong?).

I'm not sure you can go wrong with Kubrick. If he's ever made a bad movie, I'm sure it'd be at the very least an interesting failure.

I'm going to try and get Antichrist, Night of the Hunter, and Army of Shadows. I'm also eying that BBS box set, but that's a bit pricier of course.

Criterion is going to announce their February releases on or around the 15th, so perhaps it might be best to hold off on any purchases until then? They might announce something awesome.

Here's a list of confirmed, forthcoming Criterions that could be announced then:

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS
FISH TANK
FOLLOWING
THE FOUR FEATHERS
KES
STILL WALKING
SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN
RED RIVER

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:52 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Damn. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm going to try and get Antichrist, Night of the Hunter, and Army of Shadows. I'm also eying that BBS box set, but that's a bit pricier of course.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting The Night of the Hunter as a Christmas gift, so I'm going to hold off on that one. Coincidentally, I'm seeing it in theaters tonight. Obviously, I'm looking forward to that.

The BBS box set does look very interesting. Like you said, it's a bit pricier, but it's likely worth the money. Especially if it's 50% off. I'm torn as to whether or not to purchase that one.

I thought Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas already had a Criterion release?

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:42 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm getting The Night of the Hunter as a Christmas gift, so I'm going to hold off on that one. Coincidentally, I'm seeing it in theaters tonight. Obviously, I'm looking forward to that.

The BBS box set does look very interesting. Like you said, it's a bit pricier, but it's likely worth the money. Especially if it's 50% off. I'm torn as to whether or not to purchase that one.

I thought Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas already had a Criterion release?

It does, but it'll be a Blu-ray transfer.

Jealous of your impending theatrical Night of the Hunter experience!

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm
I'm going to reluctantly pass on this sale (although that BBS box set is tempting) due to the fact that Mastercard would have to pay for the binge. Cool that B&N does this so frequently but uncool that they charge full retail for Our Dumb Century. They also charge $25/year for a 10% reduction off sticker and they can smoke my pole for that.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I'm going to reluctantly pass on this sale (although that BBS box set is tempting) due to the fact that Mastercard would have to pay for the binge. Cool that B&N does this so frequently but uncool that they charge full retail for Our Dumb Century. They also charge $25/year for a 10% reduction off sticker and they can smoke my pole for that.

That rationale is part of the reason why B&N is going bankrupt and will likely be out of business fairly soon. That and their slow transition to online readability (which is really more like 90% of the reason why) will be their doom.

It is cool that they do this frequently, but what's uncool is that they give you half off on $40. Sure, you can get a Criterion for $20 this way, but Amazon regularly sells them for around that much, or a few dollars more.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:43 am
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

That rationale is part of the reason why B&N is going bankrupt and will likely be out of business fairly soon. That and their slow transition to online readability (which is really more like 90% of the reason why) will be their doom.

It is cool that they do this frequently, but what's uncool is that they give you half off on $40. Sure, you can get a Criterion for $20 this way, but Amazon regularly sells them for around that much, or a few dollars more.

MAN. B&N send me at least 10 emails every week on sales, Nook advertisements and more Nook advertisements. But, before I get to that bag of apples, this:

Criterion's retail price is usually a ridiculous $39.99. Back in 1998, when DVDs were still becoming the mainstream, a copy of Bringing Out The Dead or Fight Club would have gone for ~$25.00 only, in a few short years, to see a market build and prices lower to about $20.00 for a new release. Criterion's prices never took the same dip and it's not just a function of maintaining copyrights and so forth.

At Best Buy, should you want a copy of Casablanca, you'll pay maybe $15.00 any day of the year. B&N charges full retail (~$25) for the same disc. B&N have the widest selection of Criterion out of any retailer and, just like B&N does for everything, they charge full retail. Now this wouldn't irritate me if it the wide selection of books weren't so incredibly overpriced (I picked up a copy of new release Room from inside the store for all of $25.00) but... gee, B&N, give a guy a break. Borders has worked out a free discount program in exchange for ~5 emails every month along with a nice >10% discount on new titles. Little things, B&N. Everything in the store comes at a premium and it's enough to instill the need for delayed gratification (Amazon).

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 am
So, for the first ever Reelviews Confession, I bring you this:

I purchased Paths of Glory and Vampyr today. Total cost: ~$38.00

You know what I argue with my wife about? Uncontrolled spending.

So not only am I hypocrite (I've gotten frustrated about her purchases of many, many things) but I'm apparently irretrievably selfish (something I already knew but it always hurts to have it pointed out).

Did I need those two DVDs? I'll confess to you that I originally had 7 (!HOLY SHIT!) in hand before the conscience kick came. The answer is, of fucking course, no. No.

"You can't do this any more!" has been a sentence exchanged between the two of us so many times... .

And thus ends the only biography you'll be getting out of me until the next time you get it.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

So not only am I hypocrite (I've gotten frustrated about her purchases of many, many things) but I'm apparently irretrievably selfish (something I already knew but it always hurts to have it pointed out).

Did I need those two DVDs? I'll confess to you that I originally had 7 (!HOLY SHIT!) in hand before the conscience kick came. The answer is, of fucking course, no. No.

"You can't do this any more!" has been a sentence exchanged between the two of us so many times... .

And thus ends the only biography you'll be getting out of me until the next time you get it.

and I confess that today I bought the Blu Rays of
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Sound of Music for $29 from Amazon
Rob

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

and I confess that today I bought the Blu Rays of
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Sound of Music for $29 from Amazon
Rob

I picked up blu-rays of The Darjeeling Limited, The Thin Blue Line and Hunger. I'm satisfied with 60.00 for those three on Criterion Blu

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

Hilarious! And awesome! I limited myself to one, the first one you bought. I also checked out Vampyr about a week back. Looks great, but the story sucks. That's my expert analysis.

I really, really want that BBS box set. Really badly.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:15 am
PeachyPete wrote:

If you ever get it please let me know what's so great about The King of Marvin Gardens. I've tried to coax a response out of both major and zeppo but none has been forthcoming so far. Strange thing is I don't mind one bit. The film struck me as "meh" and hearing a long explanation of its greatness will just make me want to re-watch. So, on second thought, don't let me know what's so great about it.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:24 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

If you ever get it please let me know what's so great about The King of Marvin Gardens. I've tried to coax a response out of both major and zeppo but none has been forthcoming so far. Strange thing is I don't mind one bit. The film struck me as "meh" and hearing a long explanation of its greatness will just make me want to re-watch. So, on second thought, don't let me know what's so great about it.

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK. Homeboy, I OWN The Kind of Marvin Gardens. So your "meh" and "don't let me know" have fallen upon deaf ears. And do you know why?

Why?

Because it's currently 9:30pm @ daylight savings but it's all about to get all 8:30pm on your ass. I love my ram1312 but he's not about to deny me my King of Marvin Gardens thread. Can I do racist Uncle Tom and King of Marvin Gardens? THAT IS THE QUESTION, MOTHERFUCKER!!

Quote:
Hilarious! And awesome! I limited myself to one, the first one you bought. I also checked out Vampyr about a week back. Looks great, but the story sucks. That's my expert
analysis.

That's what my bud Pete wrote but, damn it, his "expert analysis" is off! Maybe! The guy already has an epic post about Cache that I need to respond to... fudge! I feel spread thin! But the guy bought Paths of Glory and for that I know I need to keep on the ball(s).

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 am