Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:02 am

Homosexuality in the movies 
Assistant Director

Post Homosexuality in the movies
As liberal as Hollywood is, I think there are a few things that they do that creates and keeps stigmas about homosexuality.

One is that they always have to DO something with the gay characters sexual orientation. It's always a deep source of conflict or makes them troubled. Why can't a character be gay and...that's it? Why can't it be treated the same way as a heterosexuality? I feel like shooting myself in the foot by saying this because Hollywood is so afraid of being creative, but this will really help further gay rights and acceptance of homosexuality.

Another thing is that the many movies portray homosexuality without acknowledging it. For instance, "I Love You, Man" was a romantic comedy between guys, but it was written in such a way that it was a "bromance" (to be fair, these changes worked and made a sort of unique story, but that's not the point).

Homophobia will not go away unless people see them as normal people and it is acknowledged as a fact of life in the same way as heterosexuality is.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Homosexuality in the movies
Yeah I totally get what you mean, just once i'd like to see a romantic comedy or drama with lesbians as main characters get a wide release and get the same marketing as any of the dozens of hetero rom-com's out there.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:
As liberal as Hollywood is, I think there are a few things that they do that creates and keeps stigmas about homosexuality.

One is that they always have to DO something with the gay characters sexual orientation. It's always a deep source of conflict or makes them troubled. Why can't a character be gay and...that's it? Why can't it be treated the same way as a heterosexuality? I feel like shooting myself in the foot by saying this because Hollywood is so afraid of being creative, but this will really help further gay rights and acceptance of homosexuality.

Another thing is that the many movies portray homosexuality without acknowledging it. For instance, "I Love You, Man" was a romantic comedy between guys, but it was written in such a way that it was a "bromance" (to be fair, these changes worked and made a sort of unique story, but that's not the point).

Homophobia will not go away unless people see them as normal people and it is acknowledged as a fact of life in the same way as heterosexuality is.

I think you'll find it's more likely dollar driven. Whilst there have been big gay themed movies like "Brokeback Mountain", if I was a producer I'd steer clear as you're likely limiting yourself to a small segment of the general populus and I'm hardly homophobic.
Can you imagine Armageddon with a bunch of gay astronauts. Titanic with Leo and Matt on sinking ship? Avatar discovering the Navi were gay. I don't think so. Or how about Shrek with a gay donkey? For most outside main cities this just won't fly. It's all about the big bucks.
Rob

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:49 pm
Wait... the Na'vi weren't gay?

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Wait... the Na'vi weren't gay?

Ooops, maybe I need to rewatch

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World has Wallace, Scott’s cool gay roommate. His sexuality is certainly a part of his character (he’s quite the Lothario), but it’s not a source of conflict. He’s just a fun character who gets some of the best lines in the film.

It’s nothing major, but it’s cool to see something like that in a major motion picture.

Robert Holloway wrote:
Can you imagine Armageddon with a bunch of gay astronauts. Titanic with Leo and Matt on sinking ship? Avatar discovering the Navi were gay. I don't think so. Or how about Shrek with a gay donkey? For most outside main cities this just won't fly. It's all about the big bucks.
Rob

All of these sound awesome to me. I understand where you’re coming from though.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Can you imagine Armageddon with a bunch of gay astronauts.
They're not gay? But what was with the exclusively male crew? And the visual metaphor of the big drill? And all the gaudy colors and musical montages? If Armageddon isn't a gay movie, then I don't know what is. Next thing, you'll be telling me that Independence Day isn't gay either.

Balderdash, I say.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 am
But isn't Independence Day about mens fears of womens femininity? You know... taking over the world... with their vaginas?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 am
Independence Day is all about achieving performance readiness at just the right time.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 am
When done correctly Homosexuality can be shown quite effectivly in movies
The best example of this is Philidelphia. Here we see the development of the the charactor . from when he hides his sexual orientation to where he has to come out.
Another good example is "As good as it gets." This film is very good because it seems to start with the steriotypical gay charactor but mid way through the film "during the car trip" we see the real charactor emerge.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:40 am
As a resident of the Bay Area I wish there were more gay themed mainstream movies.

That said, with indi movies in the toilet, it's unlikely.

Sad!

Rob

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:31 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
As a resident of the Bay Area I wish there were more gay themed mainstream movies.

Sad!

Rob

I've heard this stance before and I don't really get it. For the record, I don't have any ojections to gay themed movies. I just don't see the point in having them just to have them. I don't see the point of that in anything. It reeks of something for people to point to and yell, "Hey! We're tolerant!" It just seems so forced and fake.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 pm
Director

Films involving homosexuality has to be very care about its attitude to its audience both gay and straight. I would hate to see one film give away sterotypes about the current tension with gay rights. It's only fair that the producers in Hollywood have to give gays their dues, after Chuck and Larry, they deserve it.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
I think a little part of this is sometimes simply demographics. And honestly, the way Hollywood treats gays, Christians, Muslims, etc...part of me would rather have them just stay away than make vicious sterotypes.

The bottom line is that for all of Hollywood's alleged inclusiveness and ahead-of-the-curve attitudes, they're all about the dollar. Why risk a blockbuster's Box Office potential if it might alienate some of your paying customers? I disagree with that attitude, but that's what's there. But I mean, even in 2010, how many times do we see an ethnic character who's role is neither stereotypicly displayed (in comedies and such) or used in a role all about race? How may times have you seen a black character who just happened to be black -- his race no part of the story? Of those times you have seen that, how many times was that role not played by either Denzel or Will Smith? Has it ever happened?

Could you imagine an action movie or revenge flick where the lead action star just happened to be gay, no plot device about it? Imagine Shia running around dodging robots and occasionally making out with a young man. Imagine Charles Bronson stomping around killing the men who killed his husband. Imagine a gay couple being taken hostage in their home by a man fleeing a robbery. Imagine Christian Bale frolicking with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the sack before donning the black cape. Imagine Leo sketching a nude Matt Damon on a doomed ship. Imagine a thriller based around a bank robber falling in love with a male cashier he takes hostage.

And now, imagine she's white.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But I think my point is made.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:58 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Sad!

Rob

I've heard this stance before and I don't really get it. For the record, I don't have any ojections to gay themed movies. I just don't see the point in having them just to have them. I don't see the point of that in anything. It reeks of something for people to point to and yell, "Hey! We're tolerant!" It just seems so forced and fake.

Hi there

Gay relationships as central themes in movies are a different angle. it's like we see a different culture.

I personally enjoy the exposure. Dunno why it's forced or fake.

Rob

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm
"And now, imagine she's white."

Well played sir!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Director

Remember that the cinemas aren't exactly full of movies starring Asian American actors, religiously observant characters (The Blind Side was one of the extremely few), etc. there are all sorts of underrepresented demographics in cinema. Because at the end of the day, most people want their heroes to be white or, in a few cases, black men.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:38 am
Assistant Director

I was just revisiting this thread, and the stuff about ID4 and Armageddon made me laugh out loud!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:17 am
Profile WWW
It probably has something to do with mainstream America thinking one guy sucking another guy off is fucking disgusting...

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 am
Jesus dude...

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:20 pm