Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Hi guys, I'm Patrick. I've been a film fan since high-school which isn't all that long ago(I'm 22 with my 23rd birthday coming up in a couple months). I usually gravitate towards action movies, the crappier the better but I will watch anything. I've been coming to Reelviews for years, I think I became a regular follower when James just added Die Hard to his Top 100 movies project. I have a blog which in my sig that a couple of you guys seem to like. Lastly, I'm on facebook.

So let the introducing begin

Last edited by Patrick on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Too see it work and for people to always have who's who on their fingertips

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 pm
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
My name's Pedro. I'm currently a freshman majoring in cinema at San Francisco State University, so I'm probably one of the younger ones here. I've been a big movie fan all my life, but I got serious at some point during eighth grade. It was probably the combination of seeing something like Donnie Darko, not knowing what was going on at the Oscars, and being introduced to classic cinema by my mother that lead me to be as into it as I am now. I enjoy film criticism, but I also like writing and directing. I'm not particularly good at any of the three, but that's what college is for. ^^;; Random facts about me include: I play DDR/ITG, I've converted to blu-ray, I drive more than I need to, I have a weird attraction to standardized tests, and I'm a complete dork. :D

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:16 am
OK

Believe it or not my name is Rob. I'm 50, British and have 2 sons who are both film fans. They are 9 & 12.

I run a VC backed internet company and I live in the Bay Area in California

I've been a film fan since my parents took me to see the original release of Goldfinger when I was 5.

I watch far too many movies, typically 350-400 each year.

Home theater is my main venue these days as I hate the movie going experience in the multiplex
I have a 120" screen with a front projector

I've been reading Reelviews for years and think james is one of the top 5 critics out there.

I purchased a Prius straight after watching Inconvenient Truth

My 2nd son is named Luc after Luc Besson who made Le Grand Bleu
I have a tattoo of the dolphin from the poster on my back

I may be mad
Rob

Last edited by Robert Holloway on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:29 am
yes, I see my idea was eventually used. anyway...

my name is Sebastian, and I am from Lima, Peru. I'm 18 and recently finished school. (in November.) I did the International Baccalaureate programme and as part of my "art" course actually shot a motion picture called "Stranger in Peril" from a screenplay I wrote a year ago with my cousin. I'm proud to say the film is pretty good for being an amateur piece of work and earned me a really high mark in my course.

I'm starting college this year here in Lima, and will probably study sociology. I also happen to be the owner of a Star Wars website (http://www.starwarsepica.com.pe) but the one I'm the proudest of is my film criticism website - http://filmreviews.starwarsepica.com.pe. I've written 275 reviews in little more than a year, and plan to go on like this if people continue reading my work. I watch an average of 300 films per year, counting both theatrical releases and DVDs/Blu-Rays. I own about 300 DVDs and 14 Blu-Rays.

my favorite critics are James (of course), who I've been reading for four years or so now, and Roger Ebert.

in terms of music, I love jazz and blues with all my heart (ever heard of Royal Crown Revue? you should listen to it) and enjoy listening to orchestral motion picture soundtracks, but my favorite genre is definitely rock, AC/DC and Foo Fighters being my favorite bands.

I'm currently shooting a new movie of my own titled "Gray Shadows" (whose screenplay I wrote in two months with my cousin) and plan to end production sometime in early March.

Last edited by Sebastian on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 am
Sebastian wrote:
yes, I see my idea was eventually used. anyway...

my name is Sebastian, and I am from Lima, Peru. I'm 18 and recently finished school. (in November.) I did the International Baccalaureate programme and as part of my "art" course actually shot a motion picture called "Stranger in Peril" from a screenplay I wrote a year ago with my cousin. I'm proud to say the film is pretty good for being an amateur piece of work and earned me a really high mark in my course.

I'm starting college this year here in Lima, and will probably study sociology. I also happen to be the owner of a Star Wars website (http://www.starwarsepica.com.pe) but the one I'm the proudest of is my film criticism website - http://filmreview.starwarsepica.com.pe. I've written 275 reviews in little more than a year, and plan to go on like this if people continue reading my work. I watch an average of 300 films per year, counting both theatrical releases and DVDs/Blu-Rays. I own about 300 DVDs and 14 Blu-Rays.

my favorite critics are James (of course), who I've been reading for four years or so now, and Roger Ebert.

in terms of music, I love jazz and blues with all my heart (ever heard of Royal Crown Revue? you should listen to it) and enjoy listening to orchestral motion picture soundtracks, but my favorite genre is definitely rock, AC/DC and Foo Fighters being my favorite bands.

I'm currently shooting a new movie of my own titled "Gray Shadows" (whose screenplay I wrote in two months with my cousin) and plan to end production sometime in early March.

Sebastian
How can we see Stranger in Peril. You have me intrigued :-)
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:14 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sebastian
How can we see Stranger in Peril. You have me intrigued :-)
Rob

well... I HAVE been selling/giving away DVD copies of the film, but... well, firstly you'd have to know Spanish (at least a little of it - there's no subtitles option mainly because I was too lazy to translate the whole script into Engish) and secondly, yes, I CAN send you a copy by mail (DHL probably). I've already sent a copy to a reader in the UK and it seems it arrived okay.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 am
My name's Ryan. I'm a 20-year-old aspiring screenwriter/television writer, and have been living in Las Vegas for fourteen years now. In high school I was heavily in theatre, writing two or three plays and getting the joy of seeing them produced. I also directed another. After graduating in '07, I've been at UNLV for two years, and now I'm paving my way to film school. Currently, I'm working at a local library, but things will change come fall.

EDIT: Yes, I forgot. I have been reading ReelViews since 2002 when I read one of his reviews on RottenTomatoes. Soon I realized I agreed with him more than any other critic, and now he's the one that I usually turn to on whether or not I should spend my hard-earned cash on a film.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 am
Hi my name is Stefan and I'm a 20 year old college student from Chicago, IL. I used to be solely a casual movie viewer until around 2003. That year I really started getting into movie criticism and saw about 150 film releases from that year. I would say that what really got me into film was Lord of the Rings as it showed me how powerful cinema can be. Since 2003 the number of films I have seen per year has steadily increased. In 2008 I saw about 280. My taste in film is extremely varied, but I usually prefer drama over comedy, genre-wise. I have been readin ReelViews since 2001 and while I read other critics, James has consistently topped my bookmarks list for the last few years' time. I look forward to discussing film within a forum whose members share my enthusiasm for the medium.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 am
Shelobfan wrote:
Hi my name is Stefan and I'm a 20 year old college student from Chicago, IL. <snip> I look forward to discussing film within a forum whose members share my enthusiasm for the medium.

Shelobfan
Nice to hear from you, I feel the same way !
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 am
My name is Mike. I live in Washington (state, not D.C.). I am 28 years old. I hold a M.A. degree in history, but have yet to find gainful employment in my field. Fortunately my wife makes decent money (she also has her M.A., but in English literature. Our kids will be the most bored children ever!). I first got really interested in film as a work of art in a Film as Literature course I took as an undergrad in college. We watched films from Kubrick (A Clockwork Orange), Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man), Wes Anderson (Rushmore), David Lynch (Lost Highway), and Werner Herzog (The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser), among others.. This is when I matured as a film watcher. I began to see the amount of work that took place to film each shot, and I began to appreciate the medium in a new way.

Among other things besides movies, I enjoy music (heavy metal), the internets (sometimes I think that I spend too much time online), and TV (current favorite show: Burn Notice). I also read a number of history books (my emphasis was 19th century American history, focusing on the antebellum and Civil War eras), and would love to write a book one day. I'm currently adapting part of my Master's thesis into an article which I hope to get published very soon. But please don't think of me as an intellectual snob. Just an intellectual. :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 am
My name's Al and I'm from Melbourne, Australia (currently experiencing a once in a lifetime heatwave). I'm 30 years old and my day job is software consulting.

I started taking a keen interest in film around 1995, not really sure what set it off, but I went to the cinema more and more each year - probably over the last five years I would average two trips to the cinema per week. I'd normally match that with DVD viewings at home too.

I've been reading Reelviews since 1998, maybe even 1997, and James B is by far my most reliable guide. I also pay attention to Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton who host a local weekly review show - At the Movies (episodes can be found on iTunes).

Maybe once a year I write an extended review of a film for the staff newsletter at work, but I can only come up with a few hundred words if it is a film I truly love. I wouldn't mind doing some more, but I don't think it will ever be a regular activity.

DVD viewings have dropped off in the last nine months since I bought myself an Xbox 360, which makes me a little bit sad, but the games are so much fun. I need to find a better balance between the two - even before the Xbox I had numerous DVDs purchased one, two or even three years ago - still unwatched. :oops:

Like you all, I'm excited to be in on the Reelviews forums at the ground level! :D

Seeya,
nuxx.

P.S. The nickname nuxx is because I am a big Underworld fan. I am also keen on liberal use of URLs in forum postings. :)

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:13 am
I'm Chris Kimsey, currently enjoying living in the mountains of North Georgia. Scrambling madly to keep an art supply store, antiques and frame shop in order, so as to fund my home theater addiction. Oh yeah and a recently purchased home. Been a film lover for a few years now, though I apparently don't watch near as many movies each year as you people :)

I love video games, too, but I'm super picky about them. Currently playing Little Big Planet.

You'll have to forgive my post's brevity, I've recently had my wisdom teeth removed and I'm a little kooky.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 pm
My name is Stephen. I'm 23, I live outside of Detroit. I'm studying to be a music critic. But I am also a huge movie nut. I've been a regular to Reel Views for 6 years now. I'm looking forward to future discussions on this site.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 pm
Hi All!

My names Ray and I currently reside in Princeton, New Jersey where I am a 22 year-old married Graduate Student earning my Master's Degree in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy. Basically, I hope to sing Opera and teach others to sing opera. My other great love is acting, and of course, great movies. I have been an avid reader of James since 2000, where I discovered him in my eighth-grade year while perusing online searching on google for "the best movie reviewer ever. Up popped his name on a link and I have almost exclusively been reading his reviews since then. I am largely a fan of any film that makes me think, and have a special place in my heart for Crime-Dramas and Fantasy. (My favorite film is the Godfather..Cliche, I know, but have you watched it recently! ;) ) I'm really glad James decided to make this Forum, because I have a feeling that it is going to be full of intelligent people rather than drooling idiots who like every Japanese Horror re-make out there.

Anyways, good to "meet" all of you and here is to some awesome Forum Writing!!!

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:49 pm
I said I didn't like introduction threads, but we have such a nice little community going here, why not.

My name is Trevor, I live in Seattle, WA. I have a B.A. in Cinema Studies, although due to a lack of seriousness about my education I'm afraid I can't say I'm much more informed than the average person who watches a lot of movies. I work as a web designer and part-time as a projectionist.
I fell in love with film in the late 90's. I don't know if I could identify one movie itself that did it. Fight Club maybe, Three Kings, maybe Magnolia. I still like these films, but my tastes have broadened somewhat since then. My favorite filmmaker is either Fellini or Leone. My favorite film is definitely Blade Runner. I am a hardcore sci-fi fan, plus it's a great film :).
I have read Berardinelli's reviews for almost 10 years now. My other favorite critics include Roger Ebert, Kenneth Turan, and David Ansen.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:18 am
i'm sheryl, 28 years old and residing in nj. no academic background in film (except for a film/art appreciation class in undergrad). just a movie fan. and obviously, a fan of reelviews. :)

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Hey gang,

My name is Alexandre Jason and feel this beta experiment is really getting to me - I mean I already lived on ReelViews before the forums were up, haha. I'm a student at the Schulich School of Business in Toronto and this morning I shovelled enough snow to build a respectably roomy igloo (the stereotypes about life in the north, I hate to say, are very true). Throughout my life I've lived in Russia and Sweden. After seeing a lot of the world and having experienced so much I have counted on films being the only constant no matter wherever I go. Watching that all-time favourite movie (that I'm sure we all can recite every line of dialogue to and treasure in our minds) is a spell-binding experience. More than an escape it forces me to see my life from very different perspectives, and as art, this is their power that I admire the most: the chance to impact and change someones life.

Outside of class I run several small businesses which gives me quite a bit of leeway in pursuing hobbies and sports. The 'Lost' tv series is my obsession (we really need to start a thread), I also live by the word of Stephen Colbert (anyone else think he would've been just perfect to host the Oscars this year, gah)!

Favourite all-timers: crash, the shawshank redemtion, and the groundhog day.

next :)

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:36 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
Favourite all-timers: crash, the shawshank redemtion, and the groundhog day.

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies too. Morgan Freeman was delightful in the film. Great movie.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:02 pm
yea, I know it makes a lot of those top-lists but I saw first a long time ago. It's funny too how when you re-watch a film later in life when you've matured and see things that never popped out at you before. There will also be those long movies that are unnecessarily dragged out and the others that you never want to end - shawshank as i'm sure you'll agree, is the latter.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:37 pm
Sebastian wrote:
\

Sebastian, good luck with your film. :)

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next