Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Machinist (2004) 7/10

I feel unclean now.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 pm
Once in a while it's nice to have reconfirmation that The Formula can work really well. The Crazies, which could have been another round of Four Survivors Walk Out of the Pan and Into the Fire, is a surprising entry into the generally disappointing horror genre. Rather than steer directly into convention the movie, like any smart movie, chooses some paths that have been all but retired by horror.

(1) The main characters have plans. They aren't just the moving, breathing objects of plot. The plans are design-of-life quality, not just the "let's see what this button does" variety.

(2) No characters are particularly safe. Sure, we know the two leads will probably turn out just fine. But developed characters from small to top billed aren't guaranteed to see the end credits.

(3) Characters develop in realistic, frequently non-verbal ways. Sharp intakes of breath, confusion and several screw-ups demonstrate who some of these people are. There isn't a line of dialogue that sounds like "I'm scared, David," or "We'll be just fine if we stay right here." This is sadly rare.

(4) A sense of tragedy blankets the movie. Not just whether or not these people make it but, by not spelling everything out in bouts of helpful dialogue, everyone is basically confused -- the town, the troops that are sent in and anyone else.

The movie slows down a bit after a breakneck 70 minutes but that's not anything to complain about, really. Those first 70 minutes --and the last 5-- more than make this one worth checking out. It's a very good example of how to make a suspenseful, and very frequently surprising, horror movie.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:56 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Instead I wrote a poem. Really. It was bad. Like the movie.

See? Poems. You have to be gay. Unless your name is Phil. Then you're just an idea stealing douche. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What? I put smiley faces. That means I can say anything and it's ok, right?

I'm watching that Adam Sandler Zohan movie. Sort of. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen part of. I'd rather drink myself into a stupor than finish watching this bullshit. So...I will.

...you should get drunk at work while posting here. And...you should re-read all those posts when you're sober. Twas inspired stuff.

majoraphasia wrote:
What great fun Hitchcock's Frenzy was. Sometimes you're looking to kill a couple of hours before heading to the park, breakfast is over, work isn't going to call and you've got a spread of free movies in front of you. Hitchcock's filmography (or at least a good half dozen of his titles) are on Cinemax On Demand and so, knowing nothing of Frenzy, I dove in.

Hitchcock, better than virtually any other English-language director, knew how to tell the hell out of a story. Even long sections of dialogue (which Frenzy has a number of) are entertaining -- this particular title has far more humor than I would ever have expected. A scene involving a murderer, a dead woman, a potato bag and a necktie pin, for example. Then there's the little character details we get such as the police inspector's wife going through an experimental phase with her cuisine... Hitchcock plays the material as comedy while keeping the momentum knocking on forward toward a false imprisonment, an attempted murder and other just more damned great super excellent delightful stuff. What a surprise! You think "Hitchcock, toward the end of his career... not who he once was..." and you get something like Frenzy.

Agreed. Frenzy is easily the best of his later efforts. It's uncharacteristically violent for the director too. There's nudity and rape. Not something you usually associate with his pictures. Truth be told, I don't any of his late movies are as terrible as they're made out to be. There's even some merit in the likes of Family Plot and Topaz.

Incidentally, did you get a chance to check out Fail-Safe? James Kunz is giving me the silent treatment in that thread. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 am
Greenberg (2010) [Dir: Noah Baumbach]

Greenberg tells the story of Mahler, a German Shepherd in the prime of his life. Mahler, a well adjusted and happy dog, lives comfortably with his family and is taken for regular walks by their helpful assistant (Greta Gerwig). However, Mahler's life is changed forever when his family goes on a six week vacation to Vietnam and leaves our hero in the care of a mental patient (Ben Stiller). This mental patient is far too selfish and self absorbed to care about anyone else. Without his regular exercise, Mahler becomes depressed and eventually develops an auto-immune disorder. Greenberg tells the heroic story of Mahler's quest to overcome illness while simultaneously being cared for by an asshole. Recommended. 7/10.

Attachment:
L-R Self-centred asshole, Mahler, New 'It Girl'.JPG
L-R Self-centred asshole, Mahler, New 'It Girl'.JPG [ 14.5 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

Agreed. Frenzy is easily the best of his later efforts. It's uncharacteristically violent for the director too. There's nudity and rape. Not something you usually associate with his pictures. Truth be told, I don't any of his late movies are as terrible as they're made out to be. There's even some merit in the likes of Family Plot and Topaz.

Is that the only time Hitchcock had nudity in his films? It was definitely surprising (especially the really awful rape scene -- capped with an unexpected, shameful laugh -- with Rusk's repeated "lovely!") and had me wondering if it was Hitchcock adapting 'to the times'. I haven't seen any of the late 60s stuff (from Torn Curtain onward, I believe) so it was a real treat to see how he'd kept his earlier sensibilities.

ed_metal_head wrote:

Incidentally, did you get a chance to check out Fail-Safe? James Kunz is giving me the silent treatment in that thread. Maybe you'll have more luck.

I've really dropped the ball, many times, on the movie club. No, I haven't watched Fail-Safe as I'd planned to. I'm off until Thursday so it's definitely going to be viddied in the next little while (I'm all alone on Tuesday (!!!!!!!!!YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!) and have scheduled a catch-up with M, Fail-Safe(? maybe tomorrow), Exit Through the Gift Shop, and maybe one more.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Is that the only time Hitchcock had nudity in his films? It was definitely surprising (especially the really awful rape scene -- capped with an unexpected, shameful laugh -- with Rusk's repeated "lovely!") and had me wondering if it was Hitchcock adapting 'to the times'. I haven't seen any of the late 60s stuff (from Torn Curtain onward, I believe) so it was a real treat to see how he'd kept his earlier sensibilities.

It's certainly the only nudity in his later films. It's possible that there was some in his pre-code pictures, but I doubt it. Frenzy is the first picture where he tried something different after a string of failures. It worked, so it's strange that he regressed to his earlier style with Family Plot. It would have been nice if he would've lived a little longer if only to see how his style would've changed.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 am
Jaws (1975, Steven Spielberg)

Damn that '70's aesthetic is still good. Certainly has some of the most chilling scenes I've seen in my movie going experience (the boy victim as the beach silently looks out to the bloody thrashing in the water, and the man from the small boat as you hazily see the shark come at him sideways from below the water). Its almost tempting to ever so slightly write this off as nothing more then an effective and slightly dated horror flick, but that would be denying the power and effectiveness of the films exploration and use of our fears of the unknown and that which is bigger then us and out of our control to successfully terrify us. Captain Quint still has one of the saddest and most unsettling death scenes in cinematic history, and I couldn't find that damn dancing scene after the end credits.

**** out of ****

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 am
Assistant Director

Tomcats - horrible, shitty flick with no redeeming purpose. Jerry O'Connel and Horatio Sanz in lead roles? Yikes.

O.K., there were hot and fancy babes, but only went so far.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:54 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Greenberg (2010) [Dir: Noah Baumbach]

Greenberg tells the story of Mahler, a German Shepherd in the prime of his life. Mahler, a well adjusted and happy dog, lives comfortably with his family and is taken for regular walks by their helpful assistant (Greta Gerwig). However, Mahler's life is changed forever when his family goes on a six week vacation to Vietnam and leaves our hero in the care of a mental patient (Ben Stiller). This mental patient is far too selfish and self absorbed to care about anyone else. Without his regular exercise, Mahler becomes depressed and eventually develops an auto-immune disorder. Greenberg tells the heroic story of Mahler's quest to overcome illness while simultaneously being cared for by an asshole. Recommended. 7/10.

:lol: I could barely make it through this one. I still don't understand why I'm supposed to give a damn about any of the characters. The movie as a whole is smug and unpleasant, exactly like all of Baumbach's other films.

JJoshay wrote:

Damn that '70's aesthetic is still good. Certainly has some of the most chilling scenes I've seen in my movie going experience (the boy victim as the beach silently looks out to the bloody thrashing in the water, and the man from the small boat as you hazily see the shark come at him sideways from below the water). Its almost tempting to ever so slightly write this off as nothing more then an effective and slightly dated horror flick, but that would be denying the power and effectiveness of the films exploration and use of our fears of the unknown and that which is bigger then us and out of our control to successfully terrify us. Captain Quint still has one of the saddest and most unsettling death scenes in cinematic history, and I couldn't find that damn dancing scene after the end credits.

**** out of ****

Hell yes. It's one of those undisputed classics that gets better every time I watch it. Robert Shaw's speech in the boat is one of my favorite scenes of all time; it gives me chills just thinking about it.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:57 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

**** out of ****

Hell yes. It's one of those undisputed classics that gets better every time I watch it. Robert Shaw's speech in the boat is one of my favorite scenes of all time; it gives me chills just thinking about it.

Its that speech that lends his death scene a harrowing sense of dread. If there's a flaw in the film its that Williams' music often sounds more suited for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory then this, but it doesn't at all detract from the film. The scene where the Kintner boy is eaten by the shark, the music goes silent and you see the blood churning with the surrounding water as he flails and is pulled under, the crowd standing up shocked, confused and scared. That there is one of the best scenes Spielberg has done, and just thinking about sets a pit in the bottom of my stomach.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:03 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
In Bruges (2008, Martin McDonagh): Damn this is good. **** out of ****

Oh come on! I won't go as far as JB does, but the ending really is less than the rest of the film deserves.

What exactly is wrong with the films ending?[/quote]

The ridiculous way that all the threads work together.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Does it feel AT ALL organic or real that Ralph Fiennes blows his head off after accidentally shooting the dwarf's head off? Such a contrived moments

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 am
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
What exactly is wrong with the films ending?

The ridiculous way that all the threads work together.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Does it feel AT ALL organic or real that Ralph Fiennes blows his head off after accidentally shooting the dwarf's head off? Such a contrived moments

I didn't feel that was a failing on the films part; a dialogue between Fiennes' and Gleeson's characters goes like this,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Harry: "Not only have you refused to kill the boy, you even stopped the boy from killing himself, which would've solved my problem, which would've solved your problem, which sounds like it would've solved the boy's problem."
Ken: "It wouldn't have solved his problem."
Harry: "Ken, if I had killed a little kid, accidentally or otherwise, I wouldn't have thought twice. I'd killed myself on the fucking spot. On the fucking spot. I would've stuck the gun in me mouth. On the fucking spot!"

He most certainly follows through on that statement during that final scene. I don't think it felt contrived or inorganic in the film. These men may be hitmen but they have strict standards they live by.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:24 am
Director

JJoshay wrote:
What exactly is wrong with the films ending?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Harry: "Not only have you refused to kill the boy, you even stopped the boy from killing himself, which would've solved my problem, which would've solved your problem, which sounds like it would've solved the boy's problem."
Ken: "It wouldn't have solved his problem."
Harry: "Ken, if I had killed a little kid, accidentally or otherwise, I wouldn't have thought twice. I'd killed myself on the fucking spot. On the fucking spot. I would've stuck the gun in me mouth. On the fucking spot!"

He most certainly follows through on that statement during that final scene. I don't think it felt contrived or inorganic in the film. These men may be hitmen but they have strict standards they live by.
[/quote]

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The hitmen are modern day samurais. If you dishonor the hitman code, then your death is imminent. They are evil human beings, but they at least have some humanity left in them.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The hitmen are modern day samurais. If you dishonor the hitman code, then your death is imminent. They are evil human beings, but they at least have some humanity left in them.

Listen to the Corp.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 am
Assistant Director

Robocop 3 - the shitfest continues with the 2nd unneccessary sequel to the original. Jesus F'ing Christ, thing hunk of garbage was awful. Bad acting, bad special effects and soem guy who tried to kill RoboCop by slowly walking up to him while twirling a sword.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am
I just wrapped up my 11th or 12th viewing of Solaris. Tarkovsky's version. I started it really late, thought I'd catch ~30 minutes before continuing tomorrow but it just ended about 10 minutes ago. I know it's generally considered slow and I guess it's not wildly entertaining, exactly, but few movies can engage me like this one. 166 minutes just like *snaps*. I can't imagine ever being done with the movie in any long-term way, a re-visit is always great every so often... perfectly congruent with the themes, ha ha.

I should make a top 25 or top 10 or 15 or whatever one day. I don't know where Solaris would fit but somewhere on the list.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 am
We Live in Public (2009, Ondi Timoner)

By alternating turns fascinating and disturbing. The descent of a man as he gains (as well as loses) the world and gives away his soul.

*** 1/2 out of ****

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Robocop 3 - the shitfest continues with the 2nd unneccessary sequel to the original. Jesus F'ing Christ, thing hunk of garbage was awful. Bad acting, bad special effects and soem guy who tried to kill RoboCop by slowly walking up to him while twirling a sword.

But it's so hilarious!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
...you should get drunk at work while posting here. And...you should re-read all those posts when you're sober. Twas inspired stuff.

Really? Upon a reread I was a little embarrassed. Some of it is funny, but I feel like I made a few too many gay jokes. It felt kind of cruel. I'm not Tim Hardaway, I don't hate gay people. A conversation took place that evening where someone was trying to convince me that willingly having sex with other members of the same sex doesn't make you gay. It got a bit heated, so I was probably looking to blow off some steam by being "funny" as an attempt to not take the debate so seriously. Silly, stupid, immature, and totally in-line with my character.

I'm so cool with gay people that I'd probably even have sex with one. Luckily for me, I live in a world where that doesn't make me gay.

Those 30 minutes of Zohan were easily the worst part of that night, however. I recommend no one ever watch that movie. Ever. Watch Bicycle Thieves instead. I did. It's really good.

Last edited by PeachyPete on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:56 am
Up In The Air (2009)

Solid performance by George Clooney as Ryan Bingham, a consultant who works for a company that specializes in downsizing employees of other companies. He spends roughly 300 days a year traveling around the country to handle these "transitions into unemployment" (i.e. firing people) and truly enjoys his life of air travel and hotel rooms. His orderly and detached way of living is upset both on the road and in the home office by 2 women.

The first is when he meets Alex (Vera Farmiga), a female counterpoint to himself. She likewise travels the country on business, racking up frequent flier miles and hotel club perks and they strike up a casual romance after a chance meeting in a Dallas hotel bar.

The second is in the form of Natalie (Anna Kendrick), a new employee fresh out of college back in the home office who thinks she can save the company 85% of their expenses by grounding the termination consultants and having them handle everything via video conferencing from the home office in Omaha. This threatens Ryan's jet-setting ways.

The acting was solid, as shown by best actor nominations for the 3 principal performers, and I enjoyed the film quite a bit until the final quarter. Some of the final resolutions I just didn't care for. I could elaborate, but I think there's been enough spoiler tags on this thread of late. Don't want it to start looking like a CIA redacted report.

Despite the strong performances and the interesting scenes with the actual downsizing of employees (especially in this economy), I'm going to give it a 2.5 / 4.0 stars. I wavered between a 2.5 and a 3.0, but at the end of the day, I'll stick with the former.

Last edited by johnny larue on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:14 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 840  Next