Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 pm

July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail" 
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Love this ReelThoughts!

I think communications "discoveries" are occurring a bit more rapidly, but I'm not sure what to think of the cross-generational appeal of each type of communication.
There was a time in the not so distant past when folks selling a used automobile would place an ad in the paper. This ad had an address. If you wanted to view this auto, you'd write a letter. My grandparents slowly moved from letter writing to telephones. When my dad was a kid, he 'discovered' listening to the radio and then later found that transistors would allow him to take his joy into the woods. (Grandpa didn't take him deer hunting again) Later, he discovered short-wave radio. At first, he was just a listener, but it opened up a whole world to him. When I was a kid, he and I discovered CB radio (remember those?) and could talk over MILES! It didn't require knowing Morse Code or adjusting a single-side-band tuner. Although it took years, car-phones became viable, popular, affordable, even portable. Everybody here knows the history of this most-recent past.
E-mail... well, James has discussed the changes that have occurred since that sunrise. Up until a few months ago, I'd never texted. -Nor had I used "text" as a verb. Now it has taken over a high percentage of my phone calls, as I'm frequently in areas of poor cell coverage and can reliably send a message. That, and I tend to be an anti-social prick who'd rather communicate in one or two terse sentences. Now, with webcams and live video feeds, I've arrived at a point where I'm ready to jump off the bus. I mean, if I wanted to see you, I'd be there.

The greatest thing about life is being around to see what happens next. Every generation seems to find a "new" way of listening or communicating. I relayed a funny story in the Open Forum area about teens/tweens at a campground I'd visited this past weekend. I told my father that story last night and he commented that the girls "should've stayed home if they wanted to do that stuff". He then turned on his Grundig transceiver, tuned in to his amateur radio clubs' frequency and relayed the content from an e-mail he'd received earlier that day. I chuckled quietly to myself.

(90% of the above was crafted before the first cup of coffee, and I've proofed nothing. You're getting what you've paid for.)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 am
Polar Bear wrote:
That was funny. But made me think. Has anyone ever received (or seen) a hate mail, that is free of spelling errors, is grammatically correct with the correct punctuations? I suppose not because most likely those mails are written in "hurry" where typing is much slower to the speed the brain is flying. And it's just possible that after the mail is sent the person regrets it. On the other hand a grammatically correct hate mail with no spelling errors would be quite scary - because much thought has been put into the writing of that - with possible re-reading and revisions.

PB

majoraphasia wrote:
panos75 wrote:

As for the decline of hate mail, maybe the Reelviews Forum has something to do with it too.

I've wondered that myself. The forum membership is so polite that something's got to give, right? Although, if you look across the street at other forums (something to do from time to time) you'll find some nasty invective buried in "Bad Critics" threads and the like. Criterion's forum has a good portion of one thread dedicated to knocking James Berardinelli down a few pegs. Hardly hate mail but it's just as foul-spirited as the worst personal correspondance.

While Polar Bear's thoughts on hate mail could certainly be correct, I think there's another reason why hate mail usually looks like it was written by an 8 year old.

To me, the issue boils down to intelligence. Most intelligent folks realize the futility of sending hate mail. Take majoraphasia's thoughts on the Reelviews forum. Most of the people here are pretty intelligent. We're a smart bunch. Very few members of the forum are going to send something that ridiculous to anyone. We're smart enough to realize how asinine something like hate mail is.

Dumb people, those who are more prone to type or write illegibly, aren't smart enough to realize how stupid it is to send hate mail.

I don't know, it seems pretty simple to me. Smart people do smart things, dumb people do dumb things. That's why each is categorized as such.

You could also replace intelligence with maturity in this scenario and have the same results. They tend to go hand-in-hand.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:30 am
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
panos75 wrote:

As for the decline of hate mail, maybe the Reelviews Forum has something to do with it too.

I've wondered that myself. The forum membership is so polite that something's got to give, right? Although, if you look across the street at other forums (something to do from time to time) you'll find some nasty invective buried in "Bad Critics" threads and the like. Criterion's forum has a good portion of one thread dedicated to knocking James Berardinelli down a few pegs. Hardly hate mail but it's just as foul-spirited as the worst personal correspondance.

While Polar Bear's thoughts on hate mail could certainly be correct, I think there's another reason why hate mail usually looks like it was written by an 8 year old.

To me, the issue boils down to intelligence. Most intelligent folks realize the futility of sending hate mail. Take majoraphasia's thoughts on the Reelviews forum. Most of the people here are pretty intelligent. We're a smart bunch. Very few members of the forum are going to send something that ridiculous to anyone. We're smart enough to realize how asinine something like hate mail is.

Dumb people, those who are more prone to type or write illegibly, aren't smart enough to realize how stupid it is to send hate mail.

I don't know, it seems pretty simple to me. Smart people do smart things, dumb people do dumb things. That's why each is categorized as such.

You could also replace intelligence with maturity in this scenario and have the same results. They tend to go hand-in-hand.

I respectfully disagree, Mr. Pete. Not on your analysis of the forum's collective IQ (which is an unknown quantity -- I myself drop to a 7 or an 8 for spells) but more on why there isn't as much invective on the forum as one might expect. It stems from, and this is just a theory, a 'pleasing the boss' attitude that prevents those people who harbor real pseudo-acrimony from registering in the first place. Since a hateful post would likely marginalize the poster -- permanently -- people are more likely to stick with the relatively greater anonymity of e-mail.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am
It's refreshing to hear someone point out the similarity between far left/far right and the lack of point therein.

I've been accused of being both left and right of centre by various people (apparently having my own opinions means I defy logic...) but I have to say, listening to an outright class warrior and an outright racist is pretty much the same soul destroying experience. The only difference is that one is widely considered immoral whilst the other is openly encouraged.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:51 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I respectfully disagree, Mr. Pete. Not on your analysis of the forum's collective IQ (which is an unknown quantity -- I myself drop to a 7 or an 8 for spells) but more on why there isn't as much invective on the forum as one might expect. It stems from, and this is just a theory, a 'pleasing the boss' attitude that prevents those people who harbor real pseudo-acrimony from registering in the first place. Since a hateful post would likely marginalize the poster -- permanently -- people are more likely to stick with the relatively greater anonymity of e-mail.

You're absolutely right. I didn't mean to make my post seem like its intent was to comment on why this forum is largely a pleasant place.

I was using the average Reelviews forum member as an example of an intelligent person. I don't think too many folks here would send a hateful message of the ilk that James gets (or used to get) to anyone, through any communication channel, not just on the forum.

My point is uncomplicated (and probably unsophisticated). Intelligent people are less likely to send hate mail than stupid people. I think you gave me too much credit.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm
So, who else plans to send some hate mail in a few weeks when this whole thing has boiled over? No? Can't be just me...

I'm starting to get worried that this whole Facebook thing isn't a fad. They claim to have 500 Million users. Five Hundred Million! That's a ridiculous number. At some point it'll stop growing but when?

I wonder what impact (if any) Fincher's movie will have on the base. I was, like most, completely ignorant of how douche-y an individual that Zuckerberg is.

On the plus side, Facebook let me see that PeachyPete looks tight.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
On the plus side, Facebook let me see that PeachyPete looks tight.

Ed's hitting on me.

I'd take offense, but Facebook let me see that a couple RIDICULOUSLY attractive ladies comment on just about everything Eduard posts. Who knew ed_metal_head was a pimp in disguise?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Who knew ed_metal_head was a pimp in disguise?

I've suspected as much. He's just so damned nice and unthreatening. Polite. Fairly bright. He's basically abnormal.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I've suspected as much. He's just so damned nice and unthreatening. Polite. Fairly bright. He's basically abnormal.

What do you mean by pimp in disguise? I'm insulted! Hell, now I want to threaten someone. 'Scuse me, majoraphasia? I'll cut up all your L. Ron books!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

What do you mean by pimp in disguise? I'm insulted! Hell, now I want to threaten someone. 'Scuse me, majoraphasia? I'll cut up all your L. Ron books!

You sure have a mighty fine memory, ed. The kind of memory that gets a person in trouble. Nothing but trouble.

One of the worst movies ever made and I'm having a copy sent to you along with a tattered copy of Battlefield Earth. You'll be clear in no time.

There's a variety of hate mail between members of the forum. Does that count?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 pm
Quote:
Then, on March 3, 2001, I received an e-mail that began like this: "Hi. I believe it’s not unusual for you to receive emails from complete strangers so that spares me from a lengthy introduction/explanation. Just a couple of questions…"

Seriously, thats all you're gonna give us regarding the contents of that email??? :)

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:12 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Quote:
Then, on March 3, 2001, I received an e-mail that began like this: "Hi. I believe it’s not unusual for you to receive emails from complete strangers so that spares me from a lengthy introduction/explanation. Just a couple of questions…"

Seriously, thats all you're gonna give us regarding the contents of that email??? :)

I think in a earlier Reel Thoughts he expanded slightly more on that email

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Patrick wrote:

was worth a shot

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:50 pm
Patrick wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Quote:

I think I found the rest of the email:

Quote:
Hi. I believe it’s not unusual for you to receive emails from complete strangers so that spares me from a lengthy introduction/explanation. Just a couple of questions…

1. I saw you're photo. You're sexy. Are you single?

2. Have you ever had yellow fever? ;)

Pretty sure that posting this was wrong, but it seems I have no self-control. I'm on my way to getting banned, aren't I?

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:10 am
Nah...today will not be the day we lose ed_metal_head for one his incredibly stupid antics.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:21 am
theres more info here, but not the questions.....

http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.php?identifier=162

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 am
Quote:

I have to agree with PeachyPete here (i wonder what's so "peachy" about him/her :-).. but that's another issue ) But then again it will be the "smart" ones who would also take the time to review and correct the mistakes isnt it?

majoraphasia wrote
Quote:
I respectfully disagree, ..... It stems from, and this is just a theory, a 'pleasing the boss' attitude that prevents those people who harbor real pseudo-acrimony from registering in the first place. Since a hateful post would likely marginalize the poster -- permanently -- people are more likely to stick with the relatively greater anonymity of e-mail.

Its not really "pleasing the boss" here is it? Its more like "avoiding being the pariah", unless you are just thinking about James. Again this is the thought process of an intelligent and smart person, not that of a boor.

PB

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 am
Polar Bear wrote:

majoraphasia wrote:
I respectfully disagree, ..... It stems from, and this is just a theory, a 'pleasing the boss' attitude that prevents those people who harbor real pseudo-acrimony from registering in the first place. Since a hateful post would likely marginalize the poster -- permanently -- people are more likely to stick with the relatively greater anonymity of e-mail.

Its not really "pleasing the boss" here is it? Its more like "avoiding being the pariah", unless you are just thinking about James. Again this is the thought process of an intelligent and smart person, not that of a boor.

PB

More of a collective boss -- the esteem of electronic peers. But "avoiding being the pariah" captures it well enough that I'll subscribe.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:07 pm
Gaffer

BigScreen wrote:
Facebook and Twitter are indeed a fad. It's the equivalent of the hallway in high school, where everyone's locker has photos of their friends, stickers from their favorite bands, and a white board where people can write cute messages that they think are witty. The same thing can be seen in any college dorm, where the door to each room has been decorated in much the same way. Facebook is the new locker/dorm door.

I found it somewhat ironic that you started your post off by claiming that the underestimation of email's longevity is a generational thing because that's how I feel when people say that Facebook and Twitter are a fad.

I don't even USE either Facebook or Twitter on a regular basis (hardly ever, in fact), but I recognize that they're here to stay. Their very nature as social networking arbiters ensures their continued survival as they literally shape the way we stay in touch with each other in future generations. We who have done well enough without it may find it difficult to see their importance, but one must keep in mind that our kids and our kids' kids will grow up not knowing a world where these innovations did not exist; they will thus define their interactions, both online and in real life, according to the media through which they are accustomed, perpetuating the cycle.

There will surely be another invention which may be a "gamechanger" in the future, one that will displace the social-networking scene as it is, but it may be a long time in coming. Social networking represents a logical conclusion to the nearly limitless connectivity of the internet. All previous innovations, like email, instant-messaging, and texting were simply variations on a theme: more convenient one-on-one interaction. Social networking is a new concept, one that simply wasn't feasible on this scale until only recently, and I believe that future innovations, for some time, will revolve around improving or accelerating this environment without actually replacing it.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:39 pm
Site Admin

Hinotori wrote:
BigScreen wrote:
Facebook and Twitter are indeed a fad. It's the equivalent of the hallway in high school, where everyone's locker has photos of their friends, stickers from their favorite bands, and a white board where people can write cute messages that they think are witty. The same thing can be seen in any college dorm, where the door to each room has been decorated in much the same way. Facebook is the new locker/dorm door.

I found it somewhat ironic that you started your post off by claiming that the underestimation of email's longevity is a generational thing because that's how I feel when people say that Facebook and Twitter are a fad.

I don't even USE either Facebook or Twitter on a regular basis (hardly ever, in fact), but I recognize that they're here to stay. Their very nature as social networking arbiters ensures their continued survival as they literally shape the way we stay in touch with each other in future generations. We who have done well enough without it may find it difficult to see their importance, but one must keep in mind that our kids and our kids' kids will grow up not knowing a world where these innovations did not exist; they will thus define their interactions, both online and in real life, according to the media through which they are accustomed, perpetuating the cycle.

There will surely be another invention which may be a "gamechanger" in the future, one that will displace the social-networking scene as it is, but it may be a long time in coming. Social networking represents a logical conclusion to the nearly limitless connectivity of the internet. All previous innovations, like email, instant-messaging, and texting were simply variations on a theme: more convenient one-on-one interaction. Social networking is a new concept, one that simply wasn't feasible on this scale until only recently, and I believe that future innovations, for some time, will revolve around improving or accelerating this environment without actually replacing it.

I don't think social networking is a fad, but Facebook and Twitter in and of themselves are. A few years ago, it was MySpace and Friendster. A few years from now, it will be something else. Users will gravitate to whatever is hot. Something will come along that's the new, greatest thing and people will start gravitating toward it, and the more they use it, the less they'll use Twitter and FaceBook. It's the law of the electronic jungle, and the reason why dominance never lasts.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:46 pm
Profile WWW