Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 786  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Last night, I watched Bad Timing by Nicolas Roeg.

It takes a while to get into this film's rhythm; Roeg doesn't tip his hand early. But if you stick with it, it's really incredible; the directions he takes the characters and the way he plays with audience expectations are completely unexpected. Bad Timing is one of the best films I've seen about obsessive love in a long, long time.

A note on the structure of the film: When it came out, Bad Timing was criticized for its unconventional editing and narrative structure. To put it simply, there are elements from the middle of the story that take place at the end, and elements from later in the chronology that take place at the beginning...but I believe the structure of the film was entirely appropriate.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Chocolate - a Thai film where a brother and sister's mother is in the hospital and they need money to pay the bills. The )autistic) sister gets real good at catching things thrown at her so they hunt down the people who owe the family money and she kicks their collective ass. Oh, most of her dialogue is a piercing scream, which makes her talking scenes extremely unpleasant. Really bad.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this someday. Heard it was badass.

I enjoyed it alot. You must have patience for ye ol' Asian melodrama tho.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:18 pm
Director

Blade II - Blade comes back teaming up with a vampire council to hunt down vampire hunters. It was aight.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 pm
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Blade II - Blade comes back teaming up with a vampire council to hunt down vampire hunters. It was aight.

I didn't realize Guillermo del Toro directed that film until much after watching it. I liked it alot better the 2nd and 3rd times around. If it's your first watch, let it settle for a bit then give it another go. See if that upgrades its standing.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:44 am
She's Out of My League (*** out of ****)

There's something to be said about a purely enjoyable romantic comedy that doesn't induce anger and frustration in me at this point. I've seen so many mediocre and forgettable ones that even a competently well made one can give me a smile. This film is just that. Nothing really outstanding, but it develops the characters nicely, I enjoyed the couple and rooted for them, and the film actually didn't feel forced. The comedy is a little raunchy, but nothing like an Apatow film (with the exception of a scene or two, but there's still much less of it than in those films). It has a sweet core to it that doesn't get pushed to the side. She's out of my League is definitely worth giving a shot if you enjoy a well made romantic comedy. Plus Alice Eve is gorgeous. Add a few points for that (totally out of the blue, but works well if you've seen the movie).

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:33 am
Stagecoach (1939)

This classic Western marks director John Ford's first collaboration with John Wayne and - so I've read - elevated Westerns in the sound era from cheap B-movies to respectable A-list movies. The story is very simple - a stagecoach with a motley crew of passengers (all Western stereotypes like the Southern gambler or the drunk doctor) passes through Apache territory. John Wayne as the Ringo Kid, on the run from the law and looking for the murderers of his family, joins the party. The story progresses as you would expect it to.

The black and white cinematography is very good and so are the music, the big action setpiece- an Apache attack - and the final shootout. Although the famous scenery of Monument Valley looks stunning, even in black & white, and is made good use of, it is a bit odd that the stagecoach seems to circle around the same rock formations all the time, but nevermind. Everything else is very mediocre and a romantic plot is too mawkish and unconvincing. A childbirth is thrown in for some extra sentimentality as well. However, at about 90 minutes running time, Stagecoach doesn't outstay its welcome and is quite watchable. (I should add that I'm normally not very interested in Westerns, fans of the genre should get more out of this film.) 6/10

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:11 am
Unke wrote:
Stagecoach (1939)

This classic Western marks director John Ford's first collaboration with John Wayne and - so I've read - elevated Westerns in the sound era from cheap B-movies to respectable A-list movies. The story is very simple - a stagecoach with a motley crew of passengers (all Western stereotypes like the Southern gambler or the drunk doctor) passes through Apache territory. John Wayne as the Ringo Kid, on the run from the law and looking for the murderers of his family, joins the party. The story progresses as you would expect it to.

The black and white cinematography is very good and so are the music, the big action setpiece- an Apache attack - and the final shootout. Although the famous scenery of Monument Valley looks stunning, even in black & white, and is made good use of, it is a bit odd that the stagecoach seems to circle around the same rock formations all the time, but nevermind. Everything else is very mediocre and a romantic plot is too mawkish and unconvincing. A childbirth is thrown in for some extra sentimentality as well. However, at about 90 minutes running time, Stagecoach doesn't outstay its welcome and is quite watchable. (I should add that I'm normally not very interested in Westerns, fans of the genre should get more out of this film.) 6/10

I recently purchased Stagecoach's new Criterion release, and I must say, it's pretty fantastic. I like the film more than you did, Unke. Much more. It's a seminal Western in my book, and the subtextual social commentary dealing with class structure is excellently done. You're probably right, fans of the genre might get a little more out of the movie. This is where John Ford became John Ford. That may only be important to fans of Westerns.

As for me, I took in Jennifer's Body with some friends a few days back. We were all sitting around doing nothing and someone had the movie from Netflix so we popped it in. The movie itself is pretty terrible, but I was entertained by the lengths the movie was willing to go to be awful. There's constant voiceover telling us exactly what is happening on screen or how the main character is feeling, there's Diablo Cody's "I'm going to try really, really hard to be hip" dialogue, there's an absolutely dreadful performance from Megan Fox, and there's just about every horror cliche you can imagine. Mind you, the movie wasn't entertaining in a "so bad it's good" way, but in a "so funny because they actually think this is a good movie" way. I was laughing at this movie, not with it.

Yesterday, after a rewatch of Army of Shadows, I watched another Melville film, Le Doulos. This one is Melville working with a noirish story and in black and white. This might be the most "fun" Melville film I've seen. Watching the noir plot unspool is pretty great. Jean-Paul Belmondo (Hey! I just saw him in Breathless) gives a great performance as Silien. I'll post something in the Melville thread about the movie. Suffice it to say, I'll be adding yet another of the director's movies to my collection.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:41 am
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I recently purchased Stagecoach's new Criterion release, and I must say, it's pretty fantastic.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to pick this one up. Criterion's going to be putting out some great titles soon (namely, Paths Of Glory and The Thin Red Line).

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 am
Did my homework and looked at A Prophet. Fine film, much better than Jacques Audiard's The Beat that My Heart Skipped. Tahar Rahim, as the lead, is absolutely fantastic. For the most part the 150 minutes running time flies by, but the film does occasionally get bogged down by a dream or the odd discussion with an apparition. It's still behind The White Ribbon among 2009 Foreign Language Oscar films, but this is a very good movie. It's entertaining enough to be enjoyed at face value, but there's a nice social satire about the French population too. 8/10.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:23 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Unke wrote:
Stagecoach (1939)
However, at about 90 minutes running time, Stagecoach doesn't outstay its welcome and is quite watchable. (I should add that I'm normally not very interested in Westerns, fans of the genre should get more out of this film.) 6/10

I recently purchased Stagecoach's new Criterion release, and I must say, it's pretty fantastic. I like the film more than you did, Unke. Much more. It's a seminal Western in my book, and the subtextual social commentary dealing with class structure is excellently done. You're probably right, fans of the genre might get a little more out of the movie. This is where John Ford became John Ford. That may only be important to fans of Westerns.

It's certainly a seminal movie, but, personally, my viewing experience isn't enhanced by the mere knowledge of watching a landmark film (which may still be a reason for me to pick up a movie in the first place, though). I thought the social commentary was anything but subtextual, quite on the contrary: the presentation of social outcasts (none of whom have done any real harm to anybody, not even the Ringo Kid who's in custody for his own protection more or less) as the true heroes and of the respected members of society as cowards was as subtle as a blow with a sledgehammer. Still, Stagecoach isn't half bad at all.

PeachyPete wrote:

Yesterday, after a rewatch of Army of Shadows, I watched another Melville film, Le Doulos. This one is Melville working with a noirish story and in black and white. This might be the most "fun" Melville film I've seen. Watching the noir plot unspool is pretty great. Jean-Paul Belmondo (Hey! I just saw him in Breathless) gives a great performance as Silien. I'll post something in the Melville thread about the movie. Suffice it to say, I'll be adding yet another of the director's movies to my collection.

Funny, I knew of Belmondo primarily because of his action comedies (Le professionnel, for instance ) and was mightily surprised when I found out that he had also been in French arthouse movies

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 am
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I recently purchased Stagecoach's new Criterion release, and I must say, it's pretty fantastic.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to pick this one up. Criterion's going to be putting out some great titles soon (namely, Paths Of Glory and The Thin Red Line).

I give it a recommendation. Here's the link to the movie's Criterion page if you want to see all the extras: http://www.criterion.com/films/980-stagecoach
For my money, the cover art alone is worth the price. Beautiful stuff.

You know, I've never seen Paths of Glory, but I've always wanted to. Sounds like a perfect time for a blind buy.

Unke wrote:
It's certainly a seminal movie, but, personally, my viewing experience isn't enhanced by the mere knowledge of watching a landmark film (which may still be a reason for me to pick up a movie in the first place, though). I thought the social commentary was anything but subtextual, quite on the contrary: the presentation of social outcasts (none of whom have done any real harm to anybody, not even the Ringo Kid who's in custody for his own protection more or less) as the true heroes and of the respected members of society as cowards was as subtle as a blow with a sledgehammer. Still, Stagecoach isn't half bad at all.

I agree with the notion that a movie achieving landmark, or seminal, status doesn't qualify it as great entertainment. The class stuff isn't the subtlest, for sure, but I still think it's well done. Ford uses the civilization vs. wilderness theme to go launch a social commentary about class structure. I think that's pretty clever.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am
Hot Tub Time Machine - 1/2 out of *****
This film was supposed to be funny- I didn't laugh but once, and that was when Rob Cordry's character was trying to commit suicide in his garage. Rob's seemingly perfected the art of playing dumb non-sympathetic douchebags, so I would have found the death of his character in the film quite amusing.

Anyway, the rest of the film sucked, and that's even more time that I will never get back. F*** you very much, Hollywood.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Did my homework and looked at A Prophet. Fine film, much better than Jacques Audiard's The Beat that My Heart Skipped. Tahar Rahim, as the lead, is absolutely fantastic. For the most part the 150 minutes running time flies by, but the film does occasionally get bogged down by a dream or the odd discussion with an apparition. It's still behind The White Ribbon among 2009 Foreign Language Oscar films, but this is a very good movie. It's entertaining enough to be enjoyed at face value, but there's a nice social satire about the French population too. 8/10.

Plus I learned about Corsicans and their desires for independence.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:11 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Plus I learned about Corsicans and their desires for independence.

Yeah, that would fall under "French Population" but I hear you. After checking imdb I went on wikipedia and looked up "Corsica".

How bout that Fail-Safe ending, huh?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm
Youth in Revolt (**1/2 out of ****)

Youth In Revolt was a frustrating movie because it felt, much like the multiple personalities of its title character, that it was multiple movies and ideas being shoehorned into one chaotic jumble. The romance between the teenagers feels forced, unnatural, and at times unbelievable. The other half was the better half with Michael Cera doing all sorts of crazy things as Francois, which generates the only real laughter in the movie. The movie doesn't successfully go back and forth between the two and makes the movie feel uneven as a result. Portia Doubleday is the highlight, but she isn't enough to get me to recommend this. It's not horrible, but it's no riot either.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
You know, I've never seen Paths of Glory, but I've always wanted to. Sounds like a perfect time for a blind buy.

Paths of Glory is a remarkable film, one of Kubrick's best. I strongly, strongly recommend it.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Paths of Glory is a remarkable film, one of Kubrick's best. I strongly, strongly recommend it.

The Criterion Collection just announced they're going to release it [on DVD and Blu-ray] in October.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Winter's Bone (2010)

Damn. That was good. Not just good, but GOOD. The lead, Jennifer Lawrence, was wonderful as the determined 17-year-old trying to find her dad. You don't (or maybe *I* just didn't) hear much about the supporting cast. I was extremely impressed with Dale Dickey, who played the wife of...I guess you'd call him the local Mob boss. Scary in her intensity, and absolutely real. I see that she's an actress with a jillion roles in her past, but she absolutely made me believe that when the credits rolled, she was on her way back to her run-down house in the Ozarks.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Hot Tub Time Machine - 1/2 out of *****
This film was supposed to be funny- I didn't laugh but once, and that was when Rob Cordry's character was trying to commit suicide in his garage. Rob's seemingly perfected the art of playing dumb non-sympathetic douchebags, so I would have found the death of his character in the film quite amusing.

Anyway, the rest of the film sucked, and that's even more time that I will never get back. F*** you very much, Hollywood.

I haven't seen much of Rob Couddry, but if this is him trying to be funny then he really needs to brush up on some new comedy mojo or just quit trying to be in movies, and tv for that matter.

P.S. The film was as funny as watching a drunk teen; amusing at first, then a sad turn for the worst. Point 1 for Ragnarok.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile YIM
Thanks to recording capabilities and Sundance I was able to watch Love and a .45, one of the first Tarantino knock-offs. Stars a young Renée Zellweger as bride-to-be of a young/hip Qwik-E-Mart robber who finds himself on the run from the law and his psychotic ex-partner.

It really wasn't all that bad. Rory Cochrane (kind of a pre-Timothy Olyphant that looked familiar -- turns out he was in Dazed and Confused) does some convincing work as a murderous, reckless dork that tries his hardest to be badass but just can't seem to cut it while Zellweger looks pretty and plays the lovestruck heroine as well as you'd expect. It's in the Tarantino All Hip mode but there's nothing wrong with that, exactly, and it was fun to see so many cameos -- Peter Fonda, Jack Nance, Jeffrey Combs, Michael Bowen and some others that looked familiar but remain nameless to me. There's a great scene that uses Roger Miller's "King of the Road" to surprisingly hilarious effect. Cool movie, can't quite recommend it but really like the spirit it was made in -- that first generation of Next Tarantino even anyone with a word processor could possibly be the Next Big Thing. Low *** for the movie + zeitgeist.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:27 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 786  Next