Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3121
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Click here to read topic.


Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Funny, I have an E-mail account that I have no intention of getting rid, it helps me keep track of everything I need to, Myspace and Facebook aren't really my thing as somehow the idea of talking to complete strangers online for long lengths of time dosen't really appeal to me, I did get a Twitter account (though I have yet to get even a single follower)though that was mostly for the purpose of posting tweets on celebrities, and I lost interest in that after awhile.


Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
The post was reading like familiar territory in the Berardinelliverse until *BANG* 12th paragraph:

Quote:
One minor source of disappointment is that I don't get the volume of hate mail that I once did.


Now that's a great biographical detail: nostalgia for times more insulting, cruel and threatening. Missing the war, if you will.


Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:25 pm
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
My first experience with e-mail was when my dad and stepmom got the family an AOL account on dial-up. My first personal e-mail account was when I went to college and signed up for Yahoo Mail, which I still use to this day. I use that one to communicate with my friends and family. Most of the e-mails I get are Google Alerts, which I use to find interesting stories about sports teams I follow or celebrities I'm fans of.

I joined MySpace years ago, but haven't checked the account in about 2 years, which is when I signed up for Facebook. I use Facebook to keep in touch with high school classmates.

I do have a Twitter account (with a grand total of 3 followers) and I use that sporadically. Some days I'll send out a few tweets. Other days, nothing.

I'm not a phone guy, due to a hearing disability and wearing hearing aids. However, hearing aid technology has improved to the point where I can turn on the telecoil mode on my current pair and use the phone in a noisy situation, something I couldn't do with previous iterations of hearing aids. I recently found out that I can use the iPhone with the telecoil mode turned on even though the iPhone is not hearing aid compatible.

For someone like me, e-mail and social networking is an awesome tool of communication. I don't have to worry about being able to hear someone else, although inferring sarcasm still takes some work! :mrgreen:


Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 pm
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
I won't lie. I briefly considered sending Berardinelli an old-fashioned hate mail while reading this.

Quote:
dear james SUCKinelli,

youre site SUCKS. youre site is bad, the movies u liek is bad, and youre forum is REALLY bad. srsly, liek, the ppl who post their r all dumbasses, they didnt even leik my good review of step brothers. i cant believe ur on rotten tomatos, which is the best mvoie site EVER accept that youre on it. youre gay and i h8 u. read my blog and learn how an INSITEFUL movie critic rites.

thine,

Waldo Aloysius Johnston III


Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:50 pm
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Ken wrote:
I won't lie. I briefly considered sending Berardinelli an old-fashioned hate mail while reading this.


Seriously.

Maybe that was the subtle nudge? I suppose hate mail isn't as good if it's not legitimate, but if he really wanted us to I'm sure we could get pretty vile. In good fun, of course.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:04 am
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Shade wrote:
Ken wrote:
I won't lie. I briefly considered sending Berardinelli an old-fashioned hate mail while reading this.


Seriously.

Maybe that was the subtle nudge? I suppose hate mail isn't as good if it's not legitimate, but if he really wanted us to I'm sure we could get pretty vile. In good fun, of course.

Eh, even if James reviews do occaisonally piss me off, I just don't see any real point in sending hate mail because it's like it's actually to accomplish much of anything.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 am
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
It's almost eerie but during last week I was having exactly the same thoughts about how e-mail has become obsolete. Great minds, etc.

I agree pretty much with everything James says with the notable exception of the Olbermann/Limbaugh false equivalency. As a neutral foreigner, I can say that at least Olbermann is smart and funny, while Limbaugh is dumb and obnoxious.

As for the decline of hate mail, maybe the Reelviews Forum has something to do with it too.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Quote:
For example, even though they agree on nothing, Keith Olbermann and Rush Limbaugh have pretty much the same mentality. Neither is interesting to listen to because both are predictable and offer nothing of interest beyond the expected. If you know what someone is going to say, why bother listening?


Very, very true. You could also add a number of talking heads from both political lines to these two; Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, that other guy.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 am
Profile
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Quote:
For example, even though they agree on nothing, Keith Olbermann and Rush Limbaugh have pretty much the same mentality. Neither is interesting to listen to because both are predictable and offer nothing of interest beyond the expected. If you know what someone is going to say, why bother listening?


Very, very true. You could also add a number of talking heads from both political lines to these two; Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, that other guy.

You know just today my mom was complaining about how sick she was of hearing about politics for that very same reason-that they rarely say anything interesting anymore.
She mentioned how tonights episode of 60 Minutes was basically nothing but Republicans attacking Obama for his decisions-how the hell is THAT considered news?! :roll:


Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:51 am
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Quote:
I won't lie. I briefly considered sending Berardinelli an old-fashioned hate mail while reading this.


That was funny. But made me think. Has anyone ever received (or seen) a hate mail, that is free of spelling errors, is grammatically correct with the correct punctuations? I suppose not because most likely those mails are written in "hurry" where typing is much slower to the speed the brain is flying. And it's just possible that after the mail is sent the person regrets it. On the other hand a grammatically correct hate mail with no spelling errors would be quite scary - because much thought has been put into the writing of that - with possible re-reading and revisions.

PB


Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:13 am
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
School, political campaigns, and file exchange. That's all I use email for. If you're not my professor, running in House District 24 or sending me a Word file, talk to me on facebook.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 am
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:
I won't lie. I briefly considered sending Berardinelli an old-fashioned hate mail while reading this.


That was funny. But made me think. Has anyone ever received (or seen) a hate mail, that is free of spelling errors, is grammatically correct with the correct punctuations? I suppose not because most likely those mails are written in "hurry" where typing is much slower to the speed the brain is flying. And it's just possible that after the mail is sent the person regrets it. On the other hand a grammatically correct hate mail with no spelling errors would be quite scary - because much thought has been put into the writing of that - with possible re-reading and revisions.

PB


I have received one, from a man who had much deeper feelings for me than I'd realized. It is scary as hell, especially when he included some of his editing. "I was going to say "X," but then I realized "Y." It's frightening to think that he kept up that level of white-hot anger for however long it took to complete his rather long message.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
James, you and I are a lot alike. I can't stand talking on the phone, can't stand writing letters; I much prefer face-to-face communication. I can't stand Olby, can't stand ElRushbo...hell, I'm not even that political of a guy.

These days, I find email to be a hassle, since I rarely get anything of value. i used to have a MySpace account, but I don't anymore. I did, however, hook up with a girl through MySpace...so glory hallelujah to that. :mrgreen:

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 5
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
It's interesting to read comments like this, as every year or so, I read an article from someone I follow that is predicting the death of E-Mail, sounding its death knell, or talking about it like it's already dead and has been for some time. The last one I read was about a year ago, from a photography blogger who said that he gets all the information he needs via Facebook, Twitter, Friendster, and whatever other social networking sites/tools he was using.

It's probably a generational thing, and I won't presume to tell those that have given up on E-Mail that they're wrong, but I think the reports of E-Mail's death have been greatly exaggerated.

E-Mail as a communications method has largely replaced postal mail for all of my personal communications, and I would much rather receive something via E-Mail from a company I do business with (phone bill, insurance payment reminder, etc.) than to have something clutter up my mailbox. Paper mail gets read by me very infrequently, and it is often lost in the hustle and bustle of life. My inbox is always available whereever I am, and with effective spam filtering, it's a very useful communications tool.

Texting has probably done more to replace Instant Messenger than it has E-Mail. Those that are prone to texting would never take the time to actually write a well-written E-Mail anyway, much less send a letter with the same information. Most of the time, the contents of texts aren't even worth picking up the phone and telling it to someone, but because you have a layer of isolation by sending a text, you say things that probably didn't need to be said in the first place. To me, the best use of a text message is to give a quick status update (meet you by the entrance in 5 mins), especially in environments where having a phone conversation could be difficult.

Facebook and Twitter are indeed a fad. It's the equivalent of the hallway in high school, where everyone's locker has photos of their friends, stickers from their favorite bands, and a white board where people can write cute messages that they think are witty. The same thing can be seen in any college dorm, where the door to each room has been decorated in much the same way. Facebook is the new locker/dorm door.

That's not to say that Facebook doesn't have its place, it's just that Facebook isn't a substitute for one-to-one communication, which is something that E-Mail is very good at. Facebook is by its very definition public, and I think people don't even think about how very public it is. The perception that Facebook is a personal medium is very flawed, and someday, there will be an incident when that fact is made very clear and what people thought was semi-private information is out there for all to see. For this reason, I do not use Facebook for personal messages and I do not post photos that I would not want the general public to see (which means that I have very few photos and very little personal information on Facebook). MySpace used to be popular, but was mostly replaced by Facebook. At some point, something new will come along that will take Facebook's audience with it.

Even though spam is a significant problem for E-Mail, that doesn't remove the fact that E-Mail continues to be the best method for one-to-one communication for many people. Nothing replaces the value of face-to-face communication and even the sound of someone's voice on the other end of a phone call, but Facebook certainly does not make E-Mail obsolete.

Each communication method has its value and its place, so I don't see E-Mail going anywhere any time soon. As I see it, it says more about those that have given up on E-Mail as a communications tool than it does about the tool itself.

_________________
Scott Jentsch
Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
Your online guide to what's playing in movie theaters


Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Ken wrote:

thine,



Your hate mail has a Neil Peart / Rush kind of vibe.

panos75 wrote:

As for the decline of hate mail, maybe the Reelviews Forum has something to do with it too.


I've wondered that myself. The forum membership is so polite that something's got to give, right? Although, if you look across the street at other forums (something to do from time to time) you'll find some nasty invective buried in "Bad Critics" threads and the like. Criterion's forum has a good portion of one thread dedicated to knocking James Berardinelli down a few pegs. Hardly hate mail but it's just as foul-spirited as the worst personal correspondance.


Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:14 pm
Online
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2024
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
You can indeed send a personal message to someone on Facebook. Click on the person's name and one of the options is "Send ---- a message." I was using this recently to help a friend who is looking for science fiction works containing librarians and/or libraries.

What I haven't figured out is how to send a message to ten people without sending it to my entire friends list. That and attachments are what e-mail's for.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 pm
Profile
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
majoraphasia wrote:
Your hate mail has a Neil Peart / Rush kind of vibe.
I'm told my sexier correspondence has more of a Dave Weckl thing going on.


Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 pm
Posts: 79
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Syd, just start typing the names in the send to box of your message and it will give you suggestions. Hit enter to complete and start typing another name.

Count me clueless but when I clicked I was expecting nostalgia for the movie of the same title hah.

E-Mail is not dead, it has morphed to be the professional means of online communication, whereas facebook and twitter are more personal and social.


Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am
Profile
Post Re: July 18, 2010: "You've Got Mail"
Quote:
E-Mail is not dead, it has morphed to be the professional means of online communication, whereas facebook and twitter are more personal and social.


Indeed, email isn't dead, it's just become a more precise, if not less used tool. It's not going anywhere soon. On the same note however, social networking isn't just a fad, at least, not in they way BigScreen means it. Perhaps facebook will go the way of myspace (ad saturation and bad web design), but if it does, a new one will spring up in its place.

Humans are very social creatures, and networking sites have become a very convenient way to exercise a large portion of that sociability. Do the facebooks of the world entirely replace human contact? No, but I don't expect our culture to be very quick in giving up this new medium of social contact.

In the end, Bigscreen is right,
Quote:
It's the equivalent of the hallway in high school, where everyone's locker has photos of their friends, stickers from their favorite bands, and a white board where people can write cute messages that they think are witty. The same thing can be seen in any college dorm, where the door to each room has been decorated in much the same way. Facebook is the new locker/dorm door.
, Have kids ever stopped decorating their lockers and dorm doors?


Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr