It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:40 am

February 10, 2009: "1980" 
Site Admin

Post February 10, 2009: "1980"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 10, 2009: "1980"
If only I could wake-up earlier I could probably see The Jazz Singer and see Sir Laurence Olivier tear off his clothes complaining about how tough it is being a Jew.

And what the hell is The Nude Bomb?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm
Patrick wrote:

IMO, the title is apt.

I agree with you on The Blues Brothers, James, although I think the sequel is even less enjoyable. No Belushi, no film.

P.S. - How much did a movie ticket cost back in 1980?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 pm
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:

Two bucks for afternoon shows, three bucks for evening shows. Prices pretty much doubled between 1980 and 1990. By the mid-'80s, I was already paying $5 for night shows. When I started reviewing in 1992, it was $4 or $5 for cheap shows and $7 for night shows.

Ticket price inflation has actually slowed in recent years. I'm still paying about the same today as I was five years ago (give or take 50 cents).

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
[

Lovely story.

In 1980 I was 22 and soon to leave college! I confess that I saw the Nude Bomb. I gave it 1 star. Who could forget a title like that.

On ticket prices we are faced with $10.25 and $10.75 in the Bay Area. Grrr and gas at $2.20

Looking forward to the reviews!

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:05 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

IMO, the title is apt.

I agree with you on The Blues Brothers, James, although I think the sequel is even less enjoyable. No Belushi, no film.

Why do I get the feeling that there is nowhere nearly enough gratuitous nudity to bring justice to The Nude Bomb.

As for The Blues Brothers, I think Roger Ebert was right when he called it The Sherman Tanks of Musicals. It's so epic and over-the-top that I just can't hate it even if I wanted to. I haven't seen the sequel but I have a feeling that the kid is to the Blues Brothers as Cousin Oliver was to The Brady Bunch.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 pm
Quote:
As for The Blues Brothers, I think Roger Ebert was right when he called it The Sherman Tanks of Musicals. It's so epic and over-the-top that I just can't hate it even if I wanted to. I haven't seen the sequel but I have a feeling that the kid is to the Blues Brothers as Cousin Oliver was to The Brady Bunch.

I absolutely love the first Blues Brothers, I consider it to be in my top 1 or 2 musicals of all time, and the extended version is even better. I recently rewatched the "Blues Brothers 2000" which I hadn't seen since 2001, and it had it's good moments (John Goodman, cop car crash), but overall it was quite poor, and I actually didn't find the kid too bad.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm
The Nude Bomb was a feature film version of Get Smart, I believe (too lazy to check IMDb).

I really enjoyed the article, especially since the 1980's is a period in film that fascinates due to the change in making more commercialized films.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:25 pm
The Nude Bomb is available for free viewing on Hulu.com:
http://www.hulu.com/the-nude-bomb

Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) is recalled to duty to help fight a villain who threatens to detonate a weapon that destroys clothing.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 pm
I live around the general area James lives in (Philadelphia area) and I've been to that theatre - recently - to see The Dark Knight (part of a weird project of mine - see movies at as many theatres as possible in the city). It was a retro kick for myself because while Regal owns it they never bothered to put in the digital ad thing... and they aired the ancient Regal rollercoaster animation before the movie (if you are of a certain age, you probably remember and cherish the coaster). It seems like the theatre Regal forgot about.

I've looked for the "skeletons' of the old theatre, but I don't think I've found them....

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:21 am
Very interesting read(like all of his blogs)-back in 1980, I was 8, in the 3rd grade, movie houses were 2-3 screen smallish and cheap, and I believe I saw one of the best comedies of all-time("Stir Crazy" with Prior and Wilder) that year. It may have been either the year before or after, but it was during this time period when I saw some classics(i.e. Star Trek, Empire Strikes Back, 2001, Freaky Friday, etc).

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 am
Two bucks for afternoon shows, three bucks for evening shows.

I graduated high school in 1980. Tickets were more expensive in Minneapolis back then, usually $3.50-$3.75, equivalent to somewhere between $10 and $11 today. OTOH, minimum wage was $2.65/hr, equal to about $8.00/hour today. I also don't remember concessions being as expensive. Perhaps the theater got a higher percentage of the ticket prices back then.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:56 pm
Site Admin

edhorch wrote:
Two bucks for afternoon shows, three bucks for evening shows.

I graduated high school in 1980. Tickets were more expensive in Minneapolis back then, usually $3.50-$3.75, equivalent to somewhere between $10 and $11 today. OTOH, minimum wage was $2.65/hr, equal to about $8.00/hour today. I also don't remember concessions being as expensive. Perhaps the theater got a higher percentage of the ticket prices back then.

If I went to Philadelphia to see a movie, the prices were about a dollar higher. I can recall paying $4.50 in Philly for something in 1981. New York was even worse. In '81, prices at most Manhattan theaters were in the $5 range. But New York, like Los Angeles, has always been more expensive.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
I can't remember ticket prices in 1980 - probably around the £2.50 - £4 mark ($4 - $6).

These days, its around £7 ($10) for a ticket, so I suppose that's not too bad considering. Some cinemas used to do a special on Sunday mornings - they would have a before-midday showing and the price was £4/£5 - can't remember exactly. I saw quite a few films that way, but they stopped doing that a few years ago. Shame really, but I suppose they just weren't making any money whatsoever. I understand the need to fill seats and try and contribute towards costs etc, but these showings were generally pretty empty. Around 30 customers was the most I remember - very often less.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 pm
James said:
Kubrick's The Shining is an off-the-wall "interpretation" (and I use that term guardedly) of the Stephen King novel - a wacked-out version that owes more to Kubrick and Nicholson than it does to King.

I wanted to thank you, James, for your opinion of calling the movie an interpretation. This was the movie that taught me to be very wary of movies based on a beloved book. It's not that the movie will be necessarily bad... but how could it possibly measure up to a beloved book? I left the movie theatre absolutely CRUSHED. Danny with his wagging finger. Wendy as a milquetoast, ineffective "heroine". Jack as a hammy Joke. Sigh. My disgust arrives, perhaps, because this remains the only book that immersed me in a 100% dread - I mean an absolute DREAD - for the last three hundred pages or so. When Halloran missed the plane to Colorado, I just about freaked that Wendy and Danny would be alone to face what was coming. That was such an intense experience. I learned via the movie that an intense experience of any artistic work is rarely repeated when it is "reproduced" in another medium. A tough first lesson for that teenage boy, when so sky-high entering the theater, and so depressed leaving it.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 am
I'm rather excited about the Robocop review. It's long been one of my favourite movies, and having recently re-watched it a few times, including once with the directors commentary, I am interested as to what James will say in his review.

I've read some incredible reviews of it - including one that morphed into a PhD thesis. What I'm particularly excited about here is that the review is not standalone so to speak, but part of an 80s series, which will fit in firmly into context.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm