Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15708 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 786  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Last Movie You Watched
Fairly simple. List the movie you most recently watched and give an opinion of it.

I watched The Maltese Falcon a week and a half ago. (Been busy lately.) It was my first viewing and I was pretty satisfied with it. Thankfully, the story had never been spoiled for me, so when the ending finally came, I didn't quite see it coming. Bogart and Lorre are always fun to watch, too, so that was nice. It's easy to see how the film has influenced nearly every piece of film noir or neo-noir out there. I'm glad I finally saw it.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Total Recall.
the shame!
and it was with a drinking game.
Oh, the horrible shame!

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 pm
Foxy Brown

It was a pretty good blaxpoitation film with awesome opening credits, the best lesbian bar-fight ever and a young Sid Haig! It was fun trash.

And I wanna play the Total Recall drinking game. It also helps that I love the movie.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm
The Reader

I am left wondering how this film was nominated as best picture. Kate Winslet is excellent, but the film itself has a cold detached feeling to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad film. But top 5 of the year. Nope

6/10

Rob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 pm
Breathless

It's the fifth Godard film I've seen, and it may be my favorite based on this one viewing. I loved it.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 pm
Malice. *1 star

It was too predictable. I have a co-worker at my job who I am exchanging movies with. That was one she recommended after I let her borrow Funny Games (2008).

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 am
Frost/Nixon, yesterday.

Expected better, had been looking forward to it for a month and it was a bit of a let down.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 am
last film I watched in theatres: Benjamin Button. loved it.
on Blu-Ray: Blade Runner, The Final Cut. definitely the definitive version of the movie, a masterpiece.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 am
Sebastian wrote:
on Blu-Ray: Blade Runner, The Final Cut. definitely the definitive version of the movie, a masterpiece.

I was so excited to see this movie in theaters finally last year.
And the DVD is great.
I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, but when I do, this will be one of my first upgrades.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31 am
Site Admin

I probably shouldn't post in this thread (for obvious reasons).

It was The Uninvited. A lot better than I expected. Review tomorrow.

Up next: a DVD I was sent by the name of Opie Gets Laid. I have no idea what to expect from that one, but the trailer looked intriguing. The question, as it often is with low-budget direct-to-DVD indies, is whether the acting and production values are up to snuff.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Robert Holloway wrote:
The Reader

I am left wondering how this film was nominated as best picture. Kate Winslet is excellent, but the film itself has a cold detached feeling to it.

6/10

Rob

I cannot forgive The Reader for the spot it obviously obtained from The Dark Knight's misfortune at the Oscars.

I'm currently watching Band Of Brothers - Ep. 2 - 'Day Of Days'. What a great show it was.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am
Sebastian wrote:

I had the privelege to work with Ridley Scott - he gave me a signed photo of him with Harrison Ford off the set of Bladerunner :-)

.... and three months later I spent 2 weeks with Brad Pitt after he'd just finished filming Thelma & Louise. I regret to inform you that at that stage he was a pain in the $%#

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:36 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
The Reader

6/10

Rob

I cannot forgive The Reader for the spot it obviously obtained from The Dark Knight's misfortune at the Oscars.

I'm currently watching Band Of Brothers - Ep. 2 - 'Day Of Days'. What a great show it was.

Yeah, I finished the film and scratched my head at how someone got to the point of saying this was the best film of the year.
In fact I can think of many films from 2008 that are superior
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:43 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
I probably shouldn't post in this thread (for obvious reasons).

It was The Uninvited. A lot better than I expected. Review tomorrow.

Up next: a DVD I was sent by the name of Opie Gets Laid. I have no idea what to expect from that one, but the trailer looked intriguing. The question, as it often is with low-budget direct-to-DVD indies, is whether the acting and production values are up to snuff.

oooh err
Horror films are on a box office roll at the moment and this was figured to be the end of the trend
Now I'm intrigued to see the first 4**** rating of 2009 :-)
Rob

PS - My dog was called Opie, but she never got laid :-(
PPS - As far as I know

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 am
Ickibod wrote:
Breathless

It's the fifth Godard film I've seen, and it may be my favorite based on this one viewing. I loved it.

My girlfriend took me to see this at a small indi theater in San Francisco 2 years ago
We had food to go and then walked to the theater with my head and eyes down
She would not let me see the posters - so when it started it was a total surprise
I loved it

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:48 am
Since I've been posting on here, I had a hankering to watch Requiem for a Dream, which I did this afternoon. I think I'll watch my favorite movie, The Sweet Hereafter, tomorrow. It's been a while since I've seen it.

As far as the theaters are concerned, the cost of a ticket has prevented me from seeing a lot of new releases on the big screen. I think The Dark Knight was the only movie I saw in the theater this past year. I did go see Underworld: Rise of the Lycans on opening night. My friend is a big fan of the first two, and got my wife and I (along with a bunch of other people) free tickets. I hated the first Underworld, but did actually enjoy the prequel. As a pure popcorn action flick, of course, not as great cinema. It's worth a rent, especially if you have a free rental.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 am
In theaters, Doubt. For the third time. Besides the acting, I think my favorite aspects of the film are its writing and directing. It's almost written and directed like Film School 101: simple, proven techniques that still pack a wallop when used effectively. Slanted camera angles, stormy weather, tension builders (that damn ringing phone!) and tension releases (those damn light bulbs!) are just a few examples. Fantastic first film for John Patrick Stanley.

On television, I just finished In Bruges for, I think, the 4th time on tv. Every time it plays on Cinemax, no matter what point of the movie it is in, I usually just put down the remote and watch it attentively. Another first film by another theater writer, I adore this film. You can read my review of the film here.

On DVD, it was either Wall-E (best movie in a really long time) or Pineapple Express (oh this movie is quite funny).
-----------------------------------------------
update: After reading my post, I recalled that the last movie I saw in theaters was actually Gran Torino. My thoughts? You can pretty much read James' review and understand how I feel.
-----------------------------------------------
update 2: I am currently watching Hamlet, the Kenneth Branagh version on television right now (in HD nonetheless). I really enjoy this movie, but I've relegated it to "background viewing" as I read and reply to this forum. It ends at 3:30 AM my time. Hopefully, I will shut off my laptop before the movie ends. If not, I think I'm in trouble. LOL

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 am
I've started RocknRolla three times now, but get so damn bored 20 minutes in that I turn it off. He completely lost the finesse he had in his first two movies. You can point out the character types that are carry overs from the first two. Oh there's Bricktop, and there's Tommy, this guy is supposed to Hatchet Harry. And the voiceover is just ridiculous.

Last good movie I watched was the Big Lebowski, for about the 50th time. I just throw on random scenes after playing violent video games to cheer myself up.

"until it goes...click"

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:13 am
munroe wrote:
I've started RocknRolla three times now, but get so damn bored 20 minutes in that I turn it off. He completely lost the finesse he had in his first two movies. You can point out the character types that are carry overs from the first two. Oh there's Bricktop, and there's Tommy, this guy is supposed to Hatchet Harry. And the voiceover is just ridiculous.

Yeah, not a great movie.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am
I have a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old at home so I have all the Pixar movies in constant rotation. They are really the only movies I can deal with. God forbid my wife puts in those Baby Einstein DVD's...

Last movie in theater...Benjamin Button, with my pregnant wife. She had to go pee bad.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15708 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 786  Next