Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Hey Peoples
Hope to find out a whole lot and also have a pleasant experience here!
my regards guys!

Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Hello, my name's not Johnny, it's Bob. I'm 42 and work in computer systems development in Milwaukee with both a bachelor's degree and master's degree in Management Information Systems. I'm married with 2 small kids (2 and 8 months) and have been visiting James' site for about 10 years.

I used to see around 50 movies a year in the theater (plus countless others on cable and rental), but that has gone WAY down since marriage and kids. Now I'm probably down to 20 or so in the theater per year (if I'm lucky).

Growing up (before the days of cable when we only had 5 or 6 stations), I loved the old classic comedies (Ma & Pa Kettle, Blondie and Dagwood, Francis the Talking Mule, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Bros., Stooges, some of the early Mickey Rooney films, etc.) as well as monster movies (any Godzilla, King Kong, or Gammera was must-watch no matter how many times we'd seen before).

I took one film study class in my undergrad that turned me on to some of the classics (Citizen Kane, The Searchers, Maginificent Ambersons, Hiroshima Mon Amour), but for the most part I'm not worthy to carry some of you people's popcorn buckets (film-knowledge-wise). I enjoy vapid entertainment (Michael Bay anyone?) as well as deeper fare. I thought The Hurt Locker was a better movie than Avatar, but I enjoyed Avatar more.

Pound for pound, I think the best movie ever made is Raiders of the Lost Ark, but my favorite is Star Wars ep. 4. The first R-rated move I ever saw was Animal House in the theater at the age of 9 (thanks to my older sister). What a great time!

Every year on the Sunday before Memorial Day, a bunch of friends and I gather at my place to fire up the grill, drink beer, and watch war movies. We've been doing this for about 8 or 9 years now.

The most time I've spent non-stop in front of my TV was an 11 hour marathon (noon to 11:30pm) of the Lord Of The Rings Special Editions back-to-back non-stop when Return Of The King came out on DVD. My ass hurt for 2 days.

Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 pm
Director

Chocolate man in the house!

My name is Sexual Chocolate. Well, not really. :D

I've been a reader of James' for a long time, and this is my first time posting. I've posted on other forums before, and the one I've posted on for five years has degenerated into a really nasty place. It used to be cool...not so much anymore. I registered because I like movies, and I like James' attitude toward Internet civility. He and I don't always share the same opinions on movies (Avatar...) but we're in lockstep on the civility issue.

Anyways, on to the movies. I'd estimate I've seen somewhere around 5,000 in my lifetime. I don't know for sure. I've seen movies from all across the spectrum, from dumb action movies and dumber comedies, to trashy exploitation flicks, to true high art. My favorite movie...perhaps Lang's Metropolis. Actually, if I were to make a Top 10 list of movies, it would likely go like this:

1. Metropolis (Lang)
    2. Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)
    3. The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
    4. The Wages Of Fear (Cluzot)
    5. Videodrome (Cronenberg)
    6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
    7. Ace In The Hole (Wilder)
    8. Blowup (Antonioni)
    9. Salo: 120 Days Of Sodom (Pasolini)
    10. The Leopard (Visconti)

So that's ol' Sexual Chocolate in a nutshell. I look forward to hanging around.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:27 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Chocolate man in the house!

My name is Sexual Chocolate. Well, not really. :D

I've been a reader of James' for a long time, and this is my first time posting. I've posted on other forums before, and the one I've posted on for five years has degenerated into a really nasty place. It used to be cool...not so much anymore. I registered because I like movies, and I like James' attitude toward Internet civility. He and I don't always share the same opinions on movies (Avatar...) but we're in lockstep on the civility issue.

Anyways, on to the movies. I'd estimate I've seen somewhere around 5,000 in my lifetime. I don't know for sure. I've seen movies from all across the spectrum, from dumb action movies and dumber comedies, to trashy exploitation flicks, to true high art. My favorite movie...perhaps Lang's Metropolis. Actually, if I were to make a Top 10 list of movies, it would likely go like this:

1. Metropolis (Lang)
    2. Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)
    3. The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
    5. Videodrome (Cronenberg)
    6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
    7. Ace In The Hole (Wilder)
    8. Blowup (Antonioni)
    9. Salo: 120 Days Of Sodom (Pasolini)
    10. The Leopard (Visconti)

So that's ol' Sexual Chocolate in a nutshell. I look forward to hanging around.

Welcome! We're always glad for some new blood. Hope you find us a more civil bunch than your previous forum. So, what do we call you? I'll get carpal tunnel if I type "Sexual Chocolate" too often. How about "Sexy Cho"? Hey, I like that...Sexy Cho it is.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Welcome! We're always glad for some new blood. Hope you find us a more civil bunch than your previous forum. So, what do we call you? I'll get carpal tunnel if I type "Sexual Chocolate" too often. How about "Sexy Cho"? Hey, I like that...Sexy Cho it is.

Sexy Cho is cool. Any term of endearment is a-OK. Hell, after some of the stuff I've been called, Sexy Cho is wonderful.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:36 pm
Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I am a college student in Omaha. I've been reading JB's reviews for about 2 years now, when I first started really getting into movies after I took a film class. I used to read dozens of critics, but was particularly drawn to James reviews for their intelligent and concise writing. My movie knowledge is not as vast as many people on this board, but I'm doing my best to catch up with all the old classics as well as some newer films (Thank you, Netflix). It's tough to say what my favorite movie is, but most of the time I think I would choose 2001: A Space Odyssey. Outside of movies, I really enjoy sports, and especially college football. I am majoring in Geographic Information Systems at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, and stay pretty busy working trying to pay for school. I guess that's about it, I look forward to posting here when I get the chance. Thanks!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm
M I K E wrote:
Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I am a college student in Omaha. I've been reading JB's reviews for about 2 years now, when I first started really getting into movies after I took a film class. I used to read dozens of critics, but was particularly drawn to James reviews for their intelligent and concise writing. My movie knowledge is not as vast as many people on this board, but I'm doing my best to catch up with all the old classics as well as some newer films (Thank you, Netflix). It's tough to say what my favorite movie is, but most of the time I think I would choose 2001: A Space Odyssey. Outside of movies, I really enjoy sports, and especially college football. I am majoring in Geographic Information Systems at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, and stay pretty busy working trying to pay for school. I guess that's about it, I look forward to posting here when I get the chance. Thanks!

Welcome M I K E. You sound like a cool dude. You know how I know that? You have 2001 as your favourite movie, that's why. I hope you'll like it here. At best, this forum has expanded everyone's film knowledge at least a little bit.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:22 pm
Hello, my name is Chie. I know I've been here for a few weeks, but I didn't see this thread. I am originally from Japan but have lived in the US for the past 5 years and I have a loving husband. I'm studying the fine arts and I am very intimate with the brush. I am also studying pharmaceutical sciences. My husband is in film school and we both love movies, especially horror films. I'm currently doing a joint project with him both for my art classes and his film school, where I am animating his work for him. Me favourite director is David Cronenberg and as such, The Fly is one of my all time favourites.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:33 am
Good morning. Or afternoon. Or night. Whatever works for you. My name is Joy, and I'm plonked down near Dallas, Texas. I wasn't much of a movie-watcher until Netflix was born, and I was converted rapidly. I prefer drama to other genres, but I'm not terribly picky in that respect.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 am
An official "welcome" to both of you. The forum tends to turn into a boys' club ever so often (I'm sure you've seen the "cleavage" thread), so it's nice to get some opinions from the fairer sex.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm
Yeah I want to get in on this too.

Im Dan. or DDD.

I like movies of all kinds.

I don't try and pretend to know too much about film. I just know what I like and like what I know.

I have a cat named Jango Fett. He likes to attack women. I dunno what it is, but he's a lady killer. Its hilarious.

Im making a claymation about characters I made up, its called "Rhinocerrabit-Dragon & Ground Bear. As you might guess, Rhinocerrabit-Dragon is a mix of a Rhino, a Rabbit, and a Dragon. Ground Bear is a tiny bear that burrows under the earth. Like a mole.

My favorite movie is probably Fight Club.

Im a Hall and Oates fan.

thats probably all you need to know.

DDD

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:10 pm
DDanDevious wrote:

My favorite movie is probably Fight Club.

Im a Hall and Oates fan.

That's the most awesome pair of sentences to have EVER been written one after the other.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I love you, so much :D

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm
Critic

Oh Christ we have another goddamn Salo fan here. How is it that this forum now has two members who count among their favorites the movie I find to be more objectionable than any other film ever made? Oh well, I can apply forgivvywubs. Welcome Sexy Chocolate

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:28 pm
Director

Today, I go back to college to begin my sophomore year. I honestly can't wait for thr fall semester to start. About ten minuets ago, I've seen the last episode of At The Movies. My thoughts can be seen on the ATM thread.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 am
Profile YIM
my name is BeLLa Mae but you can always call me Mae..

i'm 22 years old and a graduate of Information Technology..

well as of now i am working.. this would be my first work ever..

and enjoying it..

nice meeting you all..

and good to be here in your forum...

:D :D :D

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 am
Hello everyone.

I'm Alex, 22 years old and currently working through my senior year at college. Anthropology, if you're curious. I've seen very few movies and hope to change that this semester with the help of a class and this forum. I hail from Minneapolis but attend school in Northfield, MN and hope to get out of this state upon graduation. Until then I'll be slumming in Northfield, this forum and the glacial weather of Minnesota.

No, I haven't seen Fargo.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 pm
Director

I suppose I'll do this.

I'm Steve, I'm currently in the process of applying to doctoral programs in political science. You can probably guess my favorite tv show from my username, and derive my favorite movie from said television show. I think I started reading James' reviews because they were routinely near the top of the imdb reviews page, and then kept up because I found myself generally on the same page (within a half star) of him. I have a 9 year old spreadsheet, 1329 entries deep now, of movies that I've seen, and this year I've added genre, decade, and nation of production since I am an aspiring social scientist.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:35 pm
Welcome, firefly, and a belated welcome to Mr. Alexander James. I hope the two of you stick around. :)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:44 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ooooh, i just saw this. I'm new here, joined about a week back. I mean, new to the forum. But I've been following ReelViews for 5-6 years now. Even read his novels :D .

So, I'm Roshni, a Computer Science grad student from NYC. Currently into game development. I adoooore watching movies, and love discussing them. My all time favourite movie is LOTR, which I've probably watched like 15 times :lol: . Other faves include My Fair Lady, His Girl Friday, Princess Bride, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, Intolerable Cruelty, etc etc. Recently, I liked Scott Pilgrim, How to train a Dragon, and Stieg Larsson's Trilogy.

Looking forward!

~Rosh

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next