Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 am

The Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel 
Post The Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel
A screenplay by James Berardinelli. A movie about ..........Obsession.

The elevator pitch - There was this on line critic who fell for a hot actress. He used his reviews to try and reach her.

----

Yes Man - "I have always believed Deschanel to be underrated as an actress."

Failure to Launch - "One of the few bright spots is Zooey Deschanel. 30 minutes into the film, I realized I wanted the movie to be about her. I liked the Zooey Deschanel character and subplot"

All the Real Girls - "As the sexually curious Noel, Zooey Deschanel is mesmerizing. With expressive features and captivating eyes, .... Deschanel alternately shows strength and vulnerability, the kind of variation one expects to see in a teenage girl."

Yes Man - "She's low-key in the best sense of the word and lets her expressive eyes convey a lot of what her character is feeling. Flamboyance may win Oscar nominations, but this kind of performance is truer in capturing the essence of the character. In Yes Man, she and Carrey have it - the chemistry (the word is overused but appropriate) necessary for the romantic aspects of the movie to gain traction."

Assassination of Jesse James ... - "and Zoey Deschanel in a small-but-critical part as Robert’s late-film love interest."

Bridge To Terabithia - "Zooey Deschanel, Robert Patrick (as Jesse's overworked father), and young Bailee Madison provide admirable performances."

Winter Passing - "...but this film belongs to the actress. This is only her second time to step out of a supporting role (she was the co-lead in All the Real Girls), and it proves that she's ready for the "big time." As she has shown in the past, and continues to display here, versatility is among her strengths. What makes this effort worthwhile is Deschanel. She imbues Reese with such force that the individual becomes vivid, her pain palpable."

Elf - "And the luminous (but underused) Zooey Deschanel provides a romantic interest.?

Hitchhikers Guide ... - "Zooey Deschanel, who deserves to be better-known that she is, is beguiling as Trillian."

Even in movies where Zooey does not appear - In a way, I was reminded of the Zooey Deschanel/Will Ferrell movie,
Winter Passing....That movie, however, made the right choice in concentrating on Deschanel's character.

Rob :-)

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 pm
Post Re: The Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel
I notice there isn't anything on The Happening...maybe he fell out of love for that brief period of time...dramatic conflict!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
I notice there isn't anything on The Happening...maybe he fell out of love for that brief period of time...dramatic conflict!

According to the rules of the story it is impossible for her to do anything wrong. If it appears that anything might even be slightly wrong, it is the fault of the director and the screenplay.

"Faced with stilted dialogue that's a patchwork of howlingly bad lines and clichés, there's little that leads Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel can do other than grit their teeth and soldier on. Neither gives a memorable performance, but the movie loses us long before their acting can be called into question."

:-)
Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm
Site Admin

Gigantic (not yet posted, but the only half-star movie I have ever seen at the Toronto Film Festival): "The only reason Deschanel's awful performance isn't more noticeable is because [Paul] Dano is worse and the screenplay represents the kind of written abomination that would defeat even the best actor."

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
lol robert very funny thread. lol. i love it.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 pm
James, writting a bad review about her performance gives you an alibi. You are so clever. But we've seen Basic Instinct, you can't fool us. :p

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 pm
The story continues and the plot thickens:

Realizing that Zooey could indeed turn in a bad performance the critic sat at home and buried the evidence. The review was never published and the whole affair was blamed on a Film Festival :-)

Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 pm
Hot news from Variety

Paramount has just announced that they have picked up "The Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel"

"Chairman and CEO Brad Grey said that following the worldwide success of Benjamin Button they will begin filming Deschanel in the Fall for a 2010 release and Oscar campaign.

We see this as a great story with epic sweep said Grey. David Fincher has again signed on to direct with Deshanel to play herself. Casting is underway for the critic. Gray would not be drawn on whether Brad Pitt would join the project. Brad has obvious similarities with the critic said Gray, however scheduling is proving difficult."

If Brad drops out, who would you cast as JB, the critic who fell in love with a starlet?

Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 pm
Michael Cera. Just wait 20 years.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hot news from Variety

Paramount has just announced that they have picked up "The Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel"

"Chairman and CEO Brad Grey said that following the worldwide success of Benjamin Button they will begin filming Deschanel in the Fall for a 2010 release and Oscar campaign.

We see this as a great story with epic sweep said Grey. David Fincher has again signed on to direct with Deshanel to play herself. Casting is underway for the critic. Gray would not be drawn on whether Brad Pitt would join the project. Brad has obvious similarities with the critic said Gray, however scheduling is proving difficult."

If Brad drops out, who would you cast as JB, the critic who fell in love with a starlet?

Rob

Hmmm...who's a big nerd...and not Michael Cera...I got it! McLovin!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hot news from Variety

Rob

Hmmm...who's a big nerd...and not Michael Cera...I got it! McLovin!

Now we are talkin'. I thought about this and reasoned,
Cruise, nah
DeCaprio, nah
Depp, maybe
and after five seconds the well was dry

McLovin is genius

Can anyone beat McLovin' as JB in the Curious Case of Zooey Deschanel?

Rob

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:36 am
:lol: bloody awesome thread, man.
holloway, i just became a fan.

and oh yeah, our administrator defending(providing unreliable evidence) instead of disregarding (a much more realistic reaction if the hasty explanations were, in fact, of any merit) is just the icing.too bad he didn't even mention her in the almost famous review.

and yeah, regarding zooey deschanel, how can anyone resist the adoration that she inspires??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXLepw52iFs

i bet he even has she & him's album. i do.

how bout Crispin Glover?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:21 am
She definitely has an alluring quality about her. I think it's that wide-eyed look she does.

She was great in Yes Man, not that I thought the movie was terrible. I really wished her band in that was real. She & Him was a disappointment after that, even though I like M. Ward okay.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 am
forget about glover. he really aged wierdly. mclovin' however, too young.
im bout to go out, so, check this thread 3 hours or so from now. i promise lulz. 8-)

and as everybody knows thats the most binding of contracts.

meanwhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9re6CQZ ... re=related

Last edited by aameen on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 am
Site Admin

aameen wrote:
forget about glover. he really aged wierdly. mclovin' however, too young.
im bout to go out, so, check this thread 3 hours or so from now. i promise lulz. 8-)

and as everybody knows thats the most binding of contracts.

May years ago, I was told that I looked like Noah Taylor. (Actually, since he's younger, it should be that he looks like me.) But he hasn't aged as well as I have. :)

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Trevor wrote:
She definitely has an alluring quality about her. I think it's that wide-eyed look she does.

It's definitely the eyes. I'm a sucker for eyes. Had a thing for Jennifer Ehle as well; she's got great eyes.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Trevor wrote:

It's definitely the eyes. I'm a sucker for eyes. Had a thing for Jennifer Ehle as well; she's got great eyes.

bloody hell, we've got the same taste in women.
lets test that theory, how bout lisa hannigan?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 am
That may have been the worst google search of all-time. Thanks :evil:

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:02 pm
aameen wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
Trevor wrote:

bloody hell, we've got the same taste in women.
lets test that theory, how bout lisa hannigan?

Or Mila Kunis?

Her eyes represent the most bewitching and alluring example of the female anatomy on display in FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL. She is like the happiest medium between Angelina Jolie and Fairuza Balk.

And she would be perfect as the titular character in a film version of Robert A. Heinlein's "Friday," an adaptation of which is one of my dream writing projects (just as soon as I can figure out how to make the damn thing cinematic).

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:12 pm
the lulz are cancelled, partly because the mancs won(blackburn just gave up by the end, seriously pathetic cuz they could have won, "there's nothing like the sight of an amputated soul".), stevie g might not be fit for city and party because i dont have the raw materials. so bad news all around. :x

Evenflow8112 wrote:
That may have been the worst google search of all-time. Thanks :evil:

:lol:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:34 am